TNG Community

Integration with Contao

Born

Hello Forum,

I want to use TNG together with a Open Source CMS called Contao (formerly called Typo-light, www.contao.org). So far, it works pretty well. There are just 2 problems I need to solve:

1. Both Contao and TNG have the possibility to register as a user. I want to use the Contao registration as this is a special module in the CMS I can't change. After a new user is saved in the database I want to use a trigger to generate a corresponding user entry in the TNG user database table. User name and password can be taken from the Contao user database table, all other fields will be filled with some standard values. Is there a way to use triggers and how would be the SQL-statement to fill the TNG table?

2. Both Contao and TNG have several languages to display the websites. But both also offer their own switch to change the language and a change does not affect the other system. Is there a way to detect when another language got selected (e.g. by setting and reading a cookie) and then also to start an update process in the other system which changes the language there also?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,

M. Born

• 4 years later...

i haven't used TNG for quite a while but would like to become active again. I see that several plugins/bridges have been developed, e.g. for Wordpress, Drupal etc. Can a bridge to Contao CMS be expected? I've been using Contao for over ten years and being able to integrate TNG would be absolutely perfect!

Anke

6 hours ago, Anke said:

Can a bridge to Contao CMS be expected?

Hi Anke,

Integration with any CMS has proven to be difficult for most and impossible for many. (The numerous posts here would testify to this).

There are some that have managed to integrate with Wordpress with very few compromises... but these are the exceptions. Others have integrated and have to put up with much compromise. You don't know what compromises you have until you have integrated.

case in point...

Every time a question like this comes up I recommend that they keep their sites separate, and connect them through links. The only compromise then is that you have 2 sites instead of 1.

Until TNG comes with a Wordpress type CMS as part of its basic package, there will always be difficulty and compromise with integration. The fact that it isn't part of the basic package may suggest that it may not be possible.

Others here are welcome to give their advice.

On 17/04/2017 at 4:50 PM, Merv said:

Integration with any CMS has proven to be difficult for most and impossible for many. (The numerous posts here would testify to this).

There are some that have managed to integrate with Wordpress with very few compromises... but these are the exceptions. Others have integrated and have to put up with much compromise. You don't know what compromises you have until you have integrated.

I think that you're overestimating the problems - my site has run pretty seamlessly with TNG since TNG 9 came out including up to the still alpha versions of WordPress 4.8.

As is the case in so many things, only people who have problems post here - if everything is going swimmingly for someone they're not likely to come here and post about it, or of course complain about it.

All of which is moot of course to a request for support of another CMS.

Roger