TNG Community

Vertical ancestor chart

eldad

Please note: This mod is not required in TNG v10, as it is now included in a standard v10 installation.

I've been working on a vertical ancestor chart, so that I can show more generations that on the standard format. I also wanted a chart that closed up the gaps where ancestors were missing to save space. There's a screenshot below, but you should click through to my site if you want to see it in action. The names are clickable, and if you hover over the names you get a bit of extra info. I've not made a mod out of it, but if someone wants the code so they can do that, I'd happily pass it on (it will need a little tidying up, for example to handle living persons, etc.)

A mod is now available for download:

If you're upgrading from a previous version, make sure you press the 'remove' button on the existing mod before installing the new one. This version of the mod is designed for TNG 9.2.x (see below if you're running an earlier version of TNG).

You can see it on my site at www.familyheritage.info. More information is available on the mod's wiki page.

IPB Image

Earlier versions of the mod for TNG 8.1-9.1 (not updated with the latest fixes/features):

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eldad

• Ken Roy

• Roebie

• Hiraeth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

eldad

Love this idea! Would love to have it configurable -- colors, boxes (or none), and marriage/children line styles.

Andy

One or two people have contacted me to ask for the code, so I have attached it. I've added a check for living/private people. There's no user interface, though. The file goes in your TNG folder, and you call it like this:

http://localhost/tng/tree.php?height=42&width=100&spacing=20&personID=I4&tree=Main-Feb-2009&max_generations=8

You can leave out any parameters you wish. If you leave them out, the default will be used. As I said earlier, if someone wants to make it into a mod, feel free.

<attachment deleted>

I relented :smile: Mods make it easier for future TNG upgrades for me, too, so I've created one. This adds the ancestor chart onto the ancestors tab, and corrects a few bugs in the earlier file.

The mod is designed for TNG v9.

There's a demo here: http://cocksbaker.familyandlocalhistory.co...p;generations=6

<attachment deleted> - latest version in the first post of this thread

pedigree_chart_v9.0.3.zip

I relented :smile: Mods make it easier for future TNG upgrades for me, too, so I've created one. This adds the ancestor chart onto the ancestors tab, and corrects a few bugs in the earlier file.

The mod is designed for TNG v9.

There's a demo here: http://cocksbaker.familyandlocalhistory.co...p;generations=6

pedigree_chart_v9.0.3.zip

Thanks for this!! It looks great. The only things I changed in tree.php was the tree name so that the name links worked and the colors to match my existing charts. This makes a big difference when you are viewing more than 4 or 5 generations. Great mod!

I've updated the mod slightly with some bug fixes. I've also made some other changes that I'm told makes it compatible with TNG v8, but no promises with that version.

If you want to change the colours, they are set towards the end of the file. If you search the file for the word ‘white’, you’ll find the text colour for the dates. Search for ‘gold’ for the names, ‘#CC0000’ for the red box background and ‘#F2F2FF’ for the page background.

<attachment deleted> - latest version in the first post of this thread. The mod now automatically uses your template's colours.

(Thanks arnold for letting me know about the redirect problem on my own site. I've fixed that too.)

pedigree_chart_v9.0.3.1.zip

Great but ...

It does not display the names of people living

"Living Person" is written instead of names (without dates) as in other views (standard, box, etc.)

Possible to display the names?

Thank you, it really is a great addition

Nat

---------------------------

Super mais...

Il n'affiche pas les noms des gens vivants

"Living Person" est écrit au lieu des noms (sans les dates) comme dans les autres affichages (standard, boite, etc)

Possible d'afficher les noms?

Merci, c'est vraiment un bel ajout

Nat

• 3 weeks later...
Edward van der Maarel

Very nice addition.

The links don't work. When I click on a name in the chart, I have an error 404. How can I solve that?

I've updated the mod slightly with some bug fixes. I've also made some other changes that I'm told makes it compatible with TNG v8, but no promises with that version.

If you want to change the colours, they are set towards the end of the file. If you search the file for the word ‘white’, you’ll find the text colour for the dates. Search for ‘gold’ for the names, ‘#CC0000’ for the red box background and ‘#F2F2FF’ for the page background.

pedigree_chart_v9.0.3.1.zip

(Thanks arnold for letting me know about the redirect problem on my own site. I've fixed that too.)

eldad...WHAT A WONDERFUL MOD!. Thanks so much. Do you have any idea how I might modify it to make the "Mom's side" a different colour than the "Dad's Side"???

AGAIN, thanks!!

I'm sorry for my bad English, but hope you understand.

Post no. 9

The links don't work. When I click on a name in the chart, I have an error 404. How can I solve that?

Very great mod and I have tried to modify the url "main", in the file cfg, since I also get error 404.

I have two trees and when I change the code on line 345, &tree=main"); to the url (tree id) from one of my tree and it works, but how do I change it to work on both trees! :?:

This extension are so great and I will use it if I can get around the issue with the error when I click on the name chart.

Does anyone know how to change this code: $url = htmlentities("getperson.php?personID={$person['personID']}&tree=main");, so it works on multiple trees?

Thank you, it really is a great addition.

Cath

Cathrin,

Where/how can I find my tree ID?

Hi Edward!

When you are in backend at TNG, look at the menu on the left side.

Click on the menu, Trees, then you find your tree id.

PS. Always have bakcup of your files before you do any changes.

Remember to turn of the mod, Pedigree Chart.

Use your editor and look for line 354 in the cfg file.

Change tree=main to your Tree id. Example: tree=edward

Upload the changed cfg file in your FTP software.

Go to Mod manager, click install on the Pedigree Chart.

It worked fine on my site, but since I have two trees, I can not use the Pedigree Chart! :(

Cath

Edward van der Maarel

Cath,

It works. Thanks!!!

Hi Edward!

Use your editor and look for line 354 in the cfg file.

Change tree=main to your Tree id. Example: tree=edward

Cath

The only things I changed in tree.php was the tree name so that the name links worked

Sorry about that bug. The revised version should work for all trees without needing to edit the file. It will make sure all the links work.

<attachment deleted> - latest version in the first post of this thread

Cath,

It works. Thanks!!!

It's my pleasure to help you‎.

Cathrin.

To eldad!

Sorry about that bug. The revised version should work for all trees without needing to edit the file. It will make sure all the links work.

Thank you so much for the new file.

It works like a charm. :-D

Here is my a version of the Pedigree Chart.

Cathrin.

A very nice addon Eldad! Thank you.

What I would like is when no birth day is known but a baptism date is known, this year is used as year of birth. I saw on your website that you enter the day of birth as before the day of baptism, but I do not prefer to do this.

I did experiment with colouring men and women differently, but it never looked right. Colouring the lines is more subtle though, and works well with your template.

Thank you for the nice feedback.

You have created a wonderful mod and I just modified the CSS, so it match my theme and colouring the lines.

Cath

What I would like is when no birth day is known but a baptism date is known, this year is used as year of birth. I saw on your website that you enter the day of birth as before the day of baptism, but I do not prefer to do this.

I'll try and add this in at some point, but August is a very busy month for me, so it won't be until September at least.

• 5 weeks later...

This mod does a very pleasant job. Thanks !!! :-D

Would it be possible in the future to include a function that will allow to expand the same display to other generations, when there exist, by clicking on "little arrows", as for the display in "pedigree, standard display", or "pedigreetext"?

I hope to be clear enough... (I apologize, english is a foreign language to me) :oops:

At first: Thanks for the mod ;o)

One question: It is possible to call the "Horizontal ancestor chart" as the default? Right know the default by opening the ancestor tab is the standart chart. With more than 10 generations this one is displayed outside my page width.

Thanks

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice add-on, eldad! I like it.

Any chance you will move the mod to the official mods pages (http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=TNG_V9_Mods + its own wiki page)

Much more people would find it then.

There's one addition I would like to see: the possibility to not only show the ancestors, but also the pedigree in the same chart, creating a hourglass like shape.

Bart

Mark,

Your mod is not working.

The problem seems to be that you have hardcoded the table names.

My table names are not the default ones however.

They are prefixed making it possible to store tables for several tng sites (possibly with different version) in one database.

If you could replace the hardcoded names with the variables tng uses everywhere your mod would work for me too.

Thanks in advance

Bart

History Chaser (Deb)

Awesome! I had no problems with installing the mod. Only change I made was to adjust the colors to coordinate with my site.

Just showed my spouse, and he really liked it, too.

Thank you!