TNG Community

Help me get going again?

MartinV

Several years ago, I purchased the TNG package, put it on my home computer (Windows XPPro using Apache, PHP and MySQL) and loaded in my data - everything worked fine. I subsequently uploaded everything to my web site where it continues to work with no problems to this day. Everything was also backed up to a NAS drive.

About a year ago, I had a problem with my home computer and ended up having to reformat the drive and start all over. Everything has been working ok but I'm just now getting around to installing Apache, PHP, MySQL and the all of the genealogical stuff. And, now I have a problem I can't get resolved.

When I try to open index.php on localhost, a series of error messages are generated, shown here: (note that C:\GenSite is the root folder as specified in the Apache hpptd.conf file)

Notice: Use of undefined constant support - assumed 'support' in C:\GenSite\begin.php on line 2

Notice: Undefined variable: cms in C:\TwoValleys\begin.php on line 2

Notice: Use of undefined constant tngpath - assumed 'tngpath' in C:\GenSite\begin.php on line 2

Notice: Undefined variable: cms in C:\GenSite\begin.php on line 2

Notice: Undefined variable: lang in C:\GenSite\begin.php on line 2

Notice: Undefined variable: mylanguage in C:\GenSite\begin.php on line 2

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_GOTO, expecting ']' in C:\GenSite\English\text.php on line 639

Since this worked just fine before and works ok on my web site, I assume that there's some setting or specification somewhere in the newly-installed stuff that is missing or incorrect. The problem is, I have no idea what to look for.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Here's the current set up:

TNG 6.0.4 (originally installed Feb 2007)

Windows XPPro with all service packs and updates

Apache: ver 2.2.17

PHP: VC6 ver 5.3.5

MySQL: ver 5.5.11.7

And, FWIW, I have a second, completely unrelated web site set up on this same computer that work ok. Meaning, I think that Apache, PHP and MySQL are all functioning properly.

Several years ago, I purchased the TNG package, put it on my home computer (Windows XPPro using Apache, PHP and MySQL) and loaded in my data - everything worked fine. I subsequently uploaded everything to my web site where it continues to work with no problems to this day. Everything was also backed up to a NAS drive.

About a year ago, I had a problem with my home computer and ended up having to reformat the drive and start all over. Everything has been working ok but I'm just now getting around to installing Apache, PHP, MySQL and the all of the genealogical stuff. And, now I have a problem I can't get resolved.

When I try to open index.php on localhost, a series of error messages are generated, shown here: (note that C:\GenSite is the root folder as specified in the Apache hpptd.conf file)

Notice: Use of undefined constant support - assumed 'support' in C:\GenSite\begin.php on line 2

Notice: Undefined variable: cms in C:\TwoValleys\begin.php on line 2

Notice: Use of undefined constant tngpath - assumed 'tngpath' in C:\GenSite\begin.php on line 2

Notice: Undefined variable: cms in C:\GenSite\begin.php on line 2

Notice: Undefined variable: lang in C:\GenSite\begin.php on line 2

Notice: Undefined variable: mylanguage in C:\GenSite\begin.php on line 2

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_GOTO, expecting ']' in C:\GenSite\English\text.php on line 639

Since this worked just fine before and works ok on my web site, I assume that there's some setting or specification somewhere in the newly-installed stuff that is missing or incorrect. The problem is, I have no idea what to look for.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Here's the current set up:

TNG 6.0.4 (originally installed Feb 2007)

Windows XPPro with all service packs and updates

Apache: ver 2.2.17

PHP: VC6 ver 5.3.5

MySQL: ver 5.5.11.7

And, FWIW, I have a second, completely unrelated web site set up on this same computer that work ok. Meaning, I think that Apache, PHP and MySQL are all functioning properly.

What's the location and URL for your working site? what is the URL for your TNG site having the problem.

TNG 6.0.4 is also a very old version and may not have the necessary fixes for PHP 5.3.5.

You may need to install WampServer 2.0c or earlier which provides older versions of PHP and MySQL.

Later versions of PHP throw these non-fatal notices if the script fails to define and/or initialize all the constants and variables used.

Work-round - change the php.ini setting from

error_reporting = E_ALL

to

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

This should prevent E_NOTICE level errors from being displayed. TNG will still run.

For the parse error, in text.php change

$text[goto]

to

$text['goto']

goto is a reserved word in PHP 5, so to use it in this context it has to be quoted.

Later versions of PHP throw these non-fatal notices if the script fails to define and/or initialize all the constants and variables used.

Work-round - change the php.ini setting from

error_reporting = E_ALL

to

error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

This should prevent E_NOTICE level errors from being displayed. TNG will still run.

For the parse error, in text.php change

$text[goto]

to

$text['goto']

goto is a reserved word in PHP 5, so to use it in this context it has to be quoted.

WOW! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You !! :D

I made the changes you specified and it now works perfectly.

What more can I say - thanks.