TNG Community

Integrating appearance

dbeezley

I've run several Joomla sites and several TNG sites, but never tried the bridge before. The one I have now is at http://project.beezley.net/. I haven't added any data yet, just working on the function.

I have TNG 7.03 as a subfolder in Jooma 1.5.10. I have separate databases. After some trial and error, I have a link that opens the bare TNG format as a frame within the Joomla template, but it is not taking any css format inside the frame. I'd like to use the same background shade and font characteristics, but not sure how to get it.

I want to be able to have the TNG menu items as a module in the left column. I figured it would be an External Link or wrapper, but I can't find a URL that works outside of the TNG insert.

Logging in with a Joomla user does refer successfully to the TNG user admin. Looks like it applies the Joomla permissions level (Registered, Author, Administrator, etc.) as the description of the TNG user. Is it expected that after the basics, I would need to edit the users within the TNG admin?

Doug

Doug,

A quick look at your site indicates that it appears the bridge is working as designed.

After some trial and error, I have a link that opens the bare TNG format as a frame within the Joomla template, but it is not taking any css format inside the frame. I'd like to use the same background shade and font characteristics, but not sure how to get it.

The bridge just connects to your TNG installation. To change the format, you need to adjust the css files in the TNG directory. Check the Wiki for which files to change, and how to add changes to mytngstyle.css. I would suggest you first pick the TNG template you would like to use, and then adjust it to the colors you want.

I want to be able to have the TNG menu items as a module in the left column. I figured it would be an External Link or wrapper, but I can't find a URL that works outside of the TNG insert.

There is not an easy way to do this. One thing you can do is turn off the left menu on your joomla modules for your Genealogy database menu selection. You can also check some of the work that Bret has done on ways to link to specific TNG pages from a Joomla Article or Menu link. I've used them for specific individual links, but perhaps you can also set up links to more general functions.

Logging in with a Joomla user does refer successfully to the TNG user admin. Looks like it applies the Joomla permissions level (Registered, Author, Administrator, etc.) as the description of the TNG user. Is it expected that after the basics, I would need to edit the users within the TNG admin?

Yes that is correct. When a User logs in from the Joomla side, and activates any TNG menu item, a new user is added to the TNG User Table, and the Joomla Permissions is placed in the Description field (which also show then on the Access Log). After your user has logged in, you can as admin go back into the TNG User table and adjust the various TNG permissions for tree, branch, living, etc. And then also change the Description field to be what you want it to show up on the Access Log. Read Joe's article on the Wiki for how to control what information is passed. In my setup, once the Description has been updated, it doesn't change when the user logs in.

TomK