TNG Community

Non-TNG Addons/Plugins for Joomla

austex

I've recently migrated to Joomla, because I like the TNG integration, and I'm wondering what everybody else is using to compliment their TNG installation for their family's website.

I'm using PhpBB (with JFusion as the bridge) for family forums/

DOCMan for document management (tied into TNG/sharing a directory).

Still looking at:

- Gallery

- Event/Birthday manager (sidebar)

- Newsletter

Any recommendations?

I'm am running this site on joomla 1.0: http://www.mullismelange.com

I'm overhauling it slowly on a test site with Joomla 1.5 here: http://www.familyfirstusa.com

It is taking me a while to tweak everything on the back end, but here is what I've settled on so far in no particular order:

Components

1)http://www.joomla.org/

2) TNG (modified)

3) TNG-Joomla Beta Bridge (unreleased not public)

4) Community Builder (heavily considering jomsocial @ $150l)

5) !JoomlaComment

6) GroupJive

7) AlphaContent

8 ) Attachments

9) Content Submit (A must Have - should be a part of Joomla)

10) Fireboard Forum

11) JCE (A Must Have)

12) jdownloads

13) jumi (easy way to add custom code to a site)

14) Ported Pony Gallery for j1.5 (will move to joomgallery soon if I can migrate easily)

15) Uddeim (awesome PMS)

16) Recommend Friends

17) IDoBlog

18) JComments (awesome comment system that can tie in with Alphacontent)

19) Vemod News Mailer (Very Powerful newsletter maker)

Modules

1) CB Login

2) CB Superthumbs (need to rewrite code - formatting / java script issues)

3) Paypal Donate (I had to hack for correct formatting)

4) Jootabs (I had to hack to get it to work or it will break your main template)

Plugins

1) Failed Login Redirect (should be built into joomla)

This is not an exhaustive list as I am constantly testing various Joomla Components, but these are my primaries for the time being until something else better comes along or I can customize to my liking.

-joe

Like Joe I have two websites going right now.

My Joomla 1.0 site hasn't been updated for a while but is at www.wadeandlisa.com

My Joomla 1.5 was started last week and I am moving a little content over and testing while waiting for the new TNG component to roll out. The new site is at www.fowlerhistory.org The items listed below are on this 1.5 site.

Components

Frontpage Slide Show

JoomlaPack - we all should backup our sites right?

Rapid Recipe - I have some old recipes that I transcribed and publish for the family with this

Plugins

Simple Image Gallery PRO - just starting with this but I think it has some potential

-Wade

Thanks for the replies, it's opened my eyes to some interesting stuff. Looking through the extensions on Joomla.org can be a little overwhelming.

I bought the Vintage theme that Wade is using - it's perfect for kind of a retro look, and when you push the menu up into the top menu bar, TNG works and looks great with the default template - you would never know they were two different applications.

On my new site at www.GoodmanHistory.com :

Joomla 1.5.8 (just upgraded), vanilla except com-user hack for Bigo Captcha support.

Joomla standard SEF urls. Other SEF tools don't seem to work on my GoDaddy shared hosting environment.

Highly Customized Joomla Template.

TNG 7.02 (of course), with highly customized template #2.

Simple Machines Forum, skinned to match my custom Joomla template.

SBD_Roll_Menu - An Accordion menu component. Unfortunately, requires Joomla to run in Legacy mode.

JoomlaPack (Latest v 2.0 - great backup tool!).

ALFContact for the "Contact Us" form.

Bigo Captcha (100% supported by ALFContact, w/small hack required for New User Registration).

XMap - automatically generated XML sitemaps, compatible with SBD Roll menu.

Signal Login (simple, configurable user login with post login/logout redirect support).

• 2 weeks later...

For a gallery, I ended up going with JoomGallery - it's been recently updated, there's both a 1.0x and 1.5x version, and two major points in its favor:

1) It doesn't need to be themed - it integrates nicely with Joomla (big surprise given that it's oriented towards Joomla)

2) Most important - there is a plugin/mambot to allow you to search the gallery from within Joomla's normal search. I'm actually having a problem getting that to work, but I have a feeling it's my configuration that I need to tweak.

I don't know about migrating from other galleries though.

I also have it sharing a photo/media/etc. directory with TNG which saves on space and backing up.

When somebody uploads a photo into JoomGallery, it gets dumped into, for example:

/photos/1910/Smith

for TNG, my photo directory is ../photos or whatever, and rather than upload it again for TNG, I just select a file on the system and TNG lets me browse to the /photos/1910/Smith directory

reverendspam

That module was broke when I tried a few days ago. I went ahead and installed the legacy version and imported all my pony gallery photos over without a hitch.

I'll wait until they get the bugs worked out of the native J 1.5 before I switch to it. It will probably be a few months as they seem to work pretty slow on it. Can't complain as it is a very nice system that integrates cleanly into Joomla.

Check it out:

http://familyfirstusa.com/index.php?option...&Itemid=203

-joe

For a gallery, I ended up going with JoomGallery - it's been recently updated, there's both a 1.0x and 1.5x version, and two major points in its favor:

1) It doesn't need to be themed - it integrates nicely with Joomla (big surprise given that it's oriented towards Joomla)

2) Most important - there is a plugin/mambot to allow you to search the gallery from within Joomla's normal search. I'm actually having a problem getting that to work, but I have a feeling it's my configuration that I need to tweak.

I don't know about migrating from other galleries though.

I also have it sharing a photo/media/etc. directory with TNG which saves on space and backing up.

When somebody uploads a photo into JoomGallery, it gets dumped into, for example:

/photos/1910/Smith

for TNG, my photo directory is ../photos or whatever, and rather than upload it again for TNG, I just select a file on the system and TNG lets me browse to the /photos/1910/Smith directory

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Joomla! site at http://cityofadelaide.org.au where I am using TNG to manage the Passenger Lists for the 23 annual voyages the clipper ship made from London to South Australia between 1864 and 1887.

I have edited my original post as I have now taken off-line my first version of the website which ran:

1. Joomla! 1.0.13

2. Joomlashack Vintage Template

3. TNG 6.1.3

4. the old TNG-Joomla bridge

5. couple of modules I hacked together to access the TNG database for passenger list data

6. AEC membership manager

7. Community Builder

8. Fireboard Forum

9. Frontpage Slideshow

10. Gallery 2

11. JEvents

12. XMap - excellent for site map (now I know how to use it).

I made a lot of errors being my first attempt a year ago - including not understanding aliases and how to set up site for SEF (but still get good rankings because of content).

I have now rebuilt my site using Joomla!1.5.9. The passenger lists visible to unregistered visitors are generated dynamically from custom reports generated directly from the TNG database - I set up special Events in the GEDCOM fields relating to which voyage the passengers sailed on.

The new version of the website runs:

1. Joomla! 1.5.9

2. Joomla-Arts Purity Template (contest winner packaged with Joomla)

3. TNG 7.0.2

4. Reverand Spam's new TNG-Joomla bridge

5. I have only partly rebuild the couple of modules I hacked together to access the TNG database for passenger list data - I look forward to seing the results from Reverend Spam et al's project for integrating TNG more fully with Joomla which sounds exciting.

6. Community Builder

7. AEC membership manager - unfortunately this has not yet been upgraded for Joomla 1.5-Native - I am hoping that the Community Builder Subscription Management Plugin is released soon - the video from JoomlaDay in Switzerland shown on the site above looks very promising.

8. Fireboard Forum - unfortunately this has not yet been upgraded for Joomla 1.5-Native - I have been considering ccBoard which is only just being integrated with Community Builder, however I note that there is a new strain of Fireboard just released.

9. Frontpage Slideshow

10. Gallery 2 - but not yet configured and Gallery 3 might be a replacement option.

11. JEvents

12. XMap

13. Acajoom News

14. Custom Properties - an excellent extension.

15. Simple Paypal

16. sh404SEF

AEC, Fireboard, and Community Builder and GroupJive are integrated well together, however having to run AEC and Fireboard in Legacy mode is taking the shine off them.

-Peter