TNG Community

Views on requiring login

Shack

I have clicked on several sites while visiting the forum and find that many of you require logins. I would like to know your reasoning for this. There are no-right click scripts to help deter data and image theft (easy to get around though) and I personally go the other way if there is a login. The only sites that I have looked at so far are the ones without a login but I may in the future join a few to look.

If the surnames are of interest I may join but other than that, I close the page. Is that good? Is this the results that some of you are after?

no......

I had our Family tree wide open for all but after one or two grumpy bums got snarly about privacy issues, I've now required login.

To be honest ....... I may just delete the lot. I've gone from being a valuable resource for young children (& others) creating their own personal trees for school projects to something hidden & buried.

I'm lucky if a get 5 hits a day.

I'm tossing up at the moment whether to once again throw it open & thumb my nose at the objectors or delete the lot.

sad

sad

Mike Goodstadt

sad

Yes indeed...

So why not just shove all their (the grumps) immediate family into 'Living' purgatory with only publicly availible details included!

In the end if you can find their personal details so can the ID-theft mafias...

Yes indeed...

So why not just shove all their (the grumps) immediate family into 'Living' purgatory with only publicly availible details included!

In the end if you can find their personal details so can the ID-theft mafias...

I agree with Mike that privacy's a must, so I use the Living feature but don't require login. For the casual surfer the login is a hard stop. The administrator has to manually approve and set up the account, and by the time that's done, they're long gone. So once a year I send out a little 'holiday' letter to family members and give them a login id and password so they can check the details on their Living kin and try their hand at updating the TNG pages. The data entry is too tedious and confusing for the casual user, tho, so most people use the Suggest page (which, unfortunately, disappears if you login).

My immediate family wants to know if I could just create a DVD from the site. Has anyone here done that?

palmspringsbum

I agree, if I can find the information anyone can.

I've had my site 'wide open' for years now. I think one of my aunts had a cow when she found out, but after a while (actually after they moved) they started sending me photos again, and they knew they would end up in the genealogy sooner or later.

I could tell you a long story about growing up next to a WAC Colonel (who worked intelligence in Tokyo during WWII) and her Colonel husband, but just suffice it to say I learned, at a very young age, that there is no such thing as privacy.

But I got into this thread because when I was searching the gendex I ran across a site that required login to display images and media. It was a TNG site and I want to know how they do that because I'm thinking I want to try that for awhile.

This is the site: http://www.overtonmedia.com/netgen/login.php

How do they 'restrict' documents and photos?

I didn't know the suggest feature doesn't show up for logged in users. I don't like the way that works anyway. What I would like is for unregistered users to be able to fill out an edit form from the suggest, and for me to be able to one-click approve/reject the edit.

So how does "Steve's Family Tree" block images and documents to the general public while giving them access to everything else?

Martin  Mosley

I have an optional registration on my site, usually taken up by family members, or by others who have a longer term interest in my site.

I am not interested in a compulsory login!

It seems to me entirely at odds with the philosophy of publishing a web page, to then restrict it to a priviliged few! If my research were publish in a book, it would be available for all to read (providing they bought or borrowed the book) A web site offers greater readability, but respects the same principal.

I would go further.. What is the point of our research if we are not going to make it available to others? The only way in which any kind of research can be advanced by others is by sharing.

Like anyone, I would prefer that those who use my work, acknowledge the fact, but I am happy that my hobby may help others either now or in the future.

Regards

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

My immediate family wants to know if I could just create a DVD from the site. Has anyone here done that?

Could'nt you just download a Ged file and burn it to a CD? With a DVD, do they mean a DVD of all the images or the data or both?

Our website is wide open to all with no login requirement.

We have over 291,000 individuals in our database, of whom 214,000 are dead and thus appear. Living individuals do not appear.

Go for it and keep your website open to all.