TNG Community

Can someone help me - Joomla/TNG Integration

Bruce Whealton

Bruce Whealton

Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone can help me. I was going through the installation instructions for installing TNG with Joomla. I got the part where one just installs TNG as a component in Joomla and it failed. It failed to install.

Has anyone on this list gotten this to work? Could you help me? I might need to have someone login to my joomla site to do this... to see if someone can see what is happening and what might be wrong.

I've used Joomla for a few months. The basic core of Joomla is pretty reliable and simple to use. Extensions are another thing with Joomla. Many of the ones on the Joomla site are lacking in any kind of documentation, or they have links to pages that you think will have documentation but the link has nothing to do with the extension for which you were seeking documentation.

Still, sometimes it does seem that I am getting a handle on the kinds of problems that might cause things not work right - such as using an extension that is not intended for a particular version of Joomla.

I select the option for Extensions>>Install/Uninstall and then browse to the tng component for Joomla, I select it and click on upload and install. It comes back with this error:

Warning! Failed to move file. followed by Unable to find install package.

Any ideas as to what would cause that? I tried setting permissions to give write access. That didn't help. I tried setting Legacy Mode 1.0 and that didn't help.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance,

Bruce

Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone can help me. I was going through the installation instructions for installing TNG with Joomla. I got the part where one just installs TNG as a component in Joomla and it failed. It failed to install.

Has anyone on this list gotten this to work? Could you help me? I might need to have someone login to my joomla site to do this... to see if someone can see what is happening and what might be wrong.

I've used Joomla for a few months. The basic core of Joomla is pretty reliable and simple to use. Extensions are another thing with Joomla. Many of the ones on the Joomla site are lacking in any kind of documentation, or they have links to pages that you think will have documentation but the link has nothing to do with the extension for which you were seeking documentation.

Still, sometimes it does seem that I am getting a handle on the kinds of problems that might cause things not work right - such as using an extension that is not intended for a particular version of Joomla.

I select the option for Extensions>>Install/Uninstall and then browse to the tng component for Joomla, I select it and click on upload and install. It comes back with this error:

Any ideas as to what would cause that? I tried setting permissions to give write access. That didn't help. I tried setting Legacy Mode 1.0 and that didn't help.

Bruce

Bruce,

Have you looked at the TNG Wiki article on TNG Joomla Integration Note I am not a Joomla user, but it appears to be a good writeup by Reverandspam

Hello all,

Bruce

Hi Bruce, I have Joomla 1.5 working with TNG 7.0.1. I am using tng_joomla_bridge_7.0.1. Can you be specific to the problem. This setup of the TNG bridge should take a few minutes. I have been using this combo for 2 years. Good choice on your selection.

Les Campbell

CMS Genealogy

Bruce Whealton

Hi Bruce, I have Joomla 1.5 working with TNG 7.0.1. I am using tng_joomla_bridge_7.0.1. Can you be specific to the problem. This setup of the TNG bridge should take a few minutes. I have been using this combo for 2 years. Good choice on your selection.

Les Campbell

CMS Genealogy

Hi. Thanks so much for writing to me. Ok, I tried again. I downloaded the Joomla - TNG Bridge, which is named tng_joomla_bridge_7.0.2 I got this from here: http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?tit...mla_Integration

Just like it was listed in another posting. I unzipped that file and there was one file that in the instructions on the wiki say to use for the first step in the installation process. I chose Extensions>> Install/Uninstall and browsed to the com_tng.zip I selected Upload and Install.

It came back with the message: "Warning! Failed to move file.

Unable to find install package"

What does that mean? The directions are for use with Joomla 1.0.x, correct? I use Joomla 1.5.6 but I have the legacy plug-in enabled.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Also, can you point out how Joomla enhances your TNG site for genealogy? Are there features that TNG does not offer or ways that you integrate certain features with TNG for your genealogy site?

thanks,

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Thanks so much for writing to me. Ok, I tried again. I downloaded the Joomla - TNG Bridge, which is named tng_joomla_bridge_7.0.2 I got this from here: http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?tit...mla_Integration

Just like it was listed in another posting. I unzipped that file and there was one file that in the instructions on the wiki say to use for the first step in the installation process. I chose Extensions>> Install/Uninstall and browsed to the com_tng.zip I selected Upload and Install.

It came back with the message: "Warning! Failed to move file.

Unable to find install package"

What does that mean? The directions are for use with Joomla 1.0.x, correct? I use Joomla 1.5.6 but I have the legacy plug-in enabled.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Also, can you point out how Joomla enhances your TNG site for genealogy? Are there features that TNG does not offer or ways that you integrate certain features with TNG for your genealogy site?

thanks,

Bruce

Hi Bruce, sorry the delay in responding. Have you upgraded to Joomla 1.5.7? Joomla 1.5.7 is a security release.

There have been Joomla users reporting the problem you mentioned. Check the tmp directory. Change permissions on the tmp directory from 755 to 777. Let me know if this works.

-Les-

CMS Genealogy