TNG Community

Eventplaces mod

mjaro

Hi all,

I've just put public my new Eventplaces mod. Its purpose is to list places where event types selected from the menu have taken place. The mod is designed for the TNGv14, but is quite probable that it will work also for earlier TNG versions.

This is the first public version, so some bugs will come to light that I myself did not notice despite careful testing. In particular, it was difficult for me to check how the mod presents itself with various Templates.

If anyone would like to try this mod and make comments, I would be grateful and will try to take them into account. The Wiki page is Eventplaces

Regards,

Michal Jarocinski

theKiwi

I've installed this on my testing site to see how it works... 

I'm confused on just how it works. At this screen

image.png

I have clicked on each of the Family custom events - now what do I do to get the list displayed?

You can see this here

https://testing.lisaandroger.com/genealogy/eventplaces.php?minPlaces=1&hid=hide

Roger

theKiwi

So some time (more than 1 hour later) I came back to the page and see this

image.png

So if it took some time to think about it, could there be some kind of "busy" cursor so that we know something is going on?

Roger

tngrlkrz
4 hours ago, theKiwi said:

now what do I do to get the list displayed?

I found just clicking on the 'start searching' and the selected event(s) and their places are searched and results displayed, sortable by column. And further, you can type in the lists far right search box and the list redisplays quickly places that contain what you typred.  It actually was quite fast on your site.

Ron

Ron, I am extremely pleased that it was you who (again) took care of my new mod!
Following your experiments, I found a couple of errors, including eliminating tags of unusual structure too harshly (e.g., I don't allow digits - probably wrongly; I have to check it in the GEDCOM specification, but it's not easy...).
Do you think I should display an additional explanation? It could fit to the right of the menu.
I will post the corrected files soon.
Thank you for your interest and comments!

Michał

theKiwi
6 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

I found just clicking on the 'start searching' and the selected event(s) and their places are searched and results displayed, sortable by column. And further, you can type in the lists far right search box and the list redisplays quickly places that contain what you typred.  It actually was quite fast on your site.

Ron - the "Start Searching" button doesn't appear right away - it takes some unknown time, but at least several minutes as I watched the page for 3 minutes last night and didn't see it appear - after I've clicked on one or two events in the list. This is what I see after I've checked a couple of items in that list

image.png

No sign of the Start Searching button even several minutes after having clicked on 1 of the items in the Family Custom Events.

Roger

Roger,

When trying Roger’s Testing Ramblings, Start Searching button appears immediately as an event is selected (and the event appears in the list below the menu). No reason for any delay.

I see, however, that the selected option doesn't change its background (the same as slected option list below the menu). Note that the coursor is changing when you hover inactive area. I'll find the way to force the change of appearance when in WordPress environment.

I'm going to re-send corrected mod files tonight.

Thank you for testing!

Michał

Ron, Roger,

I improved the mod little bit:

• checktags() function is now less limiting. Note that I have to check selected tags thoroughly because they come via GET and thus they are in danger of being hacked. In addition to studying the GEDCOM standard, I asked AI for advice 😉
  • Attempted to improve colors. No full success yet. (I have to consider how to organize WordPress test environment. My website runs without it.)
  • Added usage tips.
  • Small texts corrections. Note: My English is lousy... If you see nasty mistakes please bring them to my attention.

The module directory kept the same name as before ie Eventplaces_1, all files too. 

Sorry for bugs...

Michał

Eventplaces_v14.0.0.1b2.zip

Ken Roy

@mjaro

Michael,  I don't know where you found your GEDCOM tags, but Funeral on my site is EVEN Funeral as imported from PAF.  Not sure what your 3rd tag represents, since I could not find it either.

Ken, if you see here a tag or an attribute of the EVEN tag that you don't know it is for sure a user-defined tag/attribute I introduced for my own needs.

I use the MEMR attribute for such a commemoration of the deceased that does not involve the burial of their remains or ashes. You may not know that in Poland it applies to hundreds of thousands of people who died exiled by Russia to Siberia, were exterminated in German concentration camps, or were secretly murdered by Communist authorities after World War II. Almost every family in Poland had such dead with an unknown or non-existent burial place, who in this situation were commemorated with a symbolic grave in a cemetery or otherwise.

As I understand, GEDCOM standards (both 5.5 and 7.1) allows for creating your own tags/attributes, and TNG follows this rule and accepts any custom tags/attributes. I personally use the Cumberland Family Tree for Windows program (no longer supported) as the primary source of my genealogy data, and - apart from a number of the custom "program-defined" tags - I used to additionally create custom "user-defined" tags/attributes. Just after your message I've encountered the page where there is a hundred tags listed which are in use in a dozen of popular genealogy programs.

I assume you can create your own list of post-mortem event types you consider worth of additional comment when used - apart from Burial - in the Evenplaces.

I apologize if these explanations were unnecessary.

Katryne

I wonder ... Should we change our personnal events tags to add an underscore at the beginning of them ?

The underscore is recommended by GEDCOM, but custom tags without underscore are also commonly used. Both TNG and most genealogy programs accept such tags/attributes.

You don't have to add underscore.

theKiwi

So is the list of tags based on your data set Michal?

Is that why so many things in the list are greyed out like this

image.png

Can this read the attributes that are actually in my file from the tng_eventtypes table

image.png

so that the list presented is only the tags in my file?

And also there's some odd things going on in the list of events presented where you are prepending ii or bb or ff before all the tags

image.png

the first letter is missing from the last few here as shown in the source code

image.png

so that for example in that last line, the data-tag is ffF and the displayed text is riends.

Roger

In the menu you see events read only from your database. Many of them are greyed (inactive) if no places set for them were found - maybe also by my code bug. There is an evident bug when processing tags - I'll repair it.

The source shows the prefix attached to be able to treat different way different event kinds:

• bb for "basic events" (hardcoded in the TNG, their descriptions are in the admtext variables, places to be taken from people table) (incl.some LDS events)
  • mm for "marriage events" (hardcoded in the TNG, their descriptions are in the admtext variables, places to be taken from families table) (incl.some LDS events)
  • ii for "individual custom events" (their descriptions to be taken from eventtypes table, places to be taken from events table)
  • ff for "family custom events (their descriptions to be taken from eventtypes table, places to be taken from events table)

(the last two are described separately in eventtypes table, although they may have the same tag)

Thanks for testing!

Michał

theKiwi

Hi Michał

In my ProLog file I find 285 lines like this

[25-Apr-2024 07:18:46 America/Detroit] PHP Warning: Undefined array key 362 in /home/lisaandroger/public_html/testing.lisaandroger.com/genealogy/eventplaces.php on line 188
[25-Apr-2024 07:18:46 America/Detroit] PHP Warning: Undefined array key 361 in /home/lisaandroger/public_html/testing.lisaandroger.com/genealogy/eventplaces.php on line 188
[25-Apr-2024 07:18:46 America/Detroit] PHP Warning: Undefined array key 360 in /home/lisaandroger/public_html/testing.lisaandroger.com/genealogy/eventplaces.php on line 188

for one time of opening the Event Places page, referencing either line 180 or line 188.

Roger

theKiwi
1 hour ago, mjaro said:

In the menu you see events read only from your database. Many of them are greyed (inactive) if no places set for them were found

Ahh - that makes sense - many of my tags are for notes, or facts - neither of which have places associated with them - also a great many different source fields have no places attached.

Roger

If you know that some of your tags have never a place attached, you can put them in the third option of the mod:

Comma-separated list of tags/attributes that should not be placed in the event menu

This way you'll avoid displaying a long list of greyed/useless events.

8 hours ago, theKiwi said:

the first letter is missing from the last few here as shown in the source code

Roger, could you please show the part tng_eventtypes table containing the events with the strange data-tag and the stripped display text you attached earlier? (or better just a backup of the table)

I've found and corrected the reasons for the php warnings, but the bug distorting data-tag and display text needs some data for reproducing and testing :(

Michał

Ken Roy

@mjaro

Michal,

Attached is a screen capture that shows the first letter being dropped when processing the events.

Also EVEN Funeral are not showing in the lists.  I can send you a PM with the credentials to access the test site.

2024-04-25_170613.png

theKiwi
1 hour ago, mjaro said:

Roger, could you please show the part tng_eventtypes table containing the events with the strange data-tag and the stripped display text you attached earlier? (or better just a backup of the table)

I've sent you a message with the tng_eventtypes table attached to it.

Roger

Thanks, Roger - I can immediately see the circumstances under which this distortion arises. I hope to have the "medicine" ready tomorrow. (now is too late here in Poland)

The cases shown by Ken are of the same sort,  plus a general multilanguage issue (I had found it earlier. This is quite unexpected TNG behaviour, I was going to leave it for later...)

Michał

I installed your Eventplaces_v14.0.0.1b2 mod on my tng v13.1.2 offline web site a couple days back and basically had a similar issue as Ken. 

It works fine for the Basic Events and the Family Custom Events (Except for Seperation) but many of the Individual Custom Events err out as they are displayed with the first character truncated and a couple are duplicated where one should be arrival and the other as departure. 

I also found that going into the options menu for the mod and changing the show to hide does not change the show/hide inactive options on the actual Event's places page, i have to change it manually each time.

Basic & Family Event Lists.png

My Custom Event Types.png

Individual Event List.png

43 minutes ago, stores said:

basically had a similar issue as Ken

OK, I know the reason and hope correcting.

The is no programmatic problem, but rather the decision to take: How to proceed if two or more Display texts are identical?

I'm going to attach the eventtypeID - maybe at the end, closed in brackets...

Also I wonder how to deal with very long display texts which can ruin the menu.

Both cases can occur simultaneously.

(the issue you all observe is the result of my bad original decision)

1 hour ago, stores said:

i have to change it manually each time

You're right, I missed it. It will be corrected.

Thanks for notes!

Michał

Dear all,

I think (hope) that I have corrected the errors you reported. Sorry it took so long (life happens...).
The new version of the mod is now available on the mod wiki page and here in the attachment. 

Thanks for your help and patience,

Michał

Eventplaces_v14.0.0.1b3.zip