TNG Community

Template 21 Content

glendo

Rob Severijns

Go to Setup >> Configuration >> Template Settings

image.png

and make your changes there

Rob Severijns

Try and replace the template files in the template 21 folder but keep a copy of your admin_templateconfig.php

Is there no Save button at the bottom or on the right?

If there is a Save button try to change the text Old Homeplace and press the Save button.

Go to your homepage and see if the change is there.

There is a save button and it does save the new text but the link goes to a 404 error page. Apparently there are no pages associated with those links.

The admin_templateconfig.php file is not in the Template21 folder. It is with all the other files in the Genex folder. So do I delete te Template folder and reinstall it?

Rob Severijns

Sorry, my bad.

You're right about the admin_templateconfig.php but before you replace it I have another question.

Is your website available in more than one language?

The create button is used to create a copy of the refered text in another language.

If you add another language does the Create button appear?

Rob Severijns

That could very well be the reason why the create button is not there.

I have two  languages available and that is likely why I do see the create button.

Regarding the 404 message. That is correct. You need to make your own references there and save them.

Hi Glendo,

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but are you asking how to create the extra pages of content that are linked in the template? If so, you can use the history pages I have on my site:  https://genealogywebtemplates.com/tnghistory.asp. Just download the free files and use your web editor to edit the pages. I created them from Darrin's sample page.

Marsha
Genealogy Web Templates
https://genealogywebtemplates.com

Thanks you for your help. But Im still cofused as to what I need to change so that it shows on my site. No versed at all in coding.

Rob Severijns

Is it confusing what I said?

Try the following in your template settings:

In the sidebar Link 1:   https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Mods_for_TNG_v14

Sidebar Link Name 1: This is a small test

Press Save + Exit refresh your homepage an the change should be visible.

In the example above you added a link to an external webpage but you can also make a link to a person, place or media file within your family tree.

In those instances just copy the link from the addressbar into the Sidebar link.

Just try a few of those things.

Thank you, yes the links work my question is how to config the pages that Marsha supplied to show up on the site. I still get a 404 error.

image.png

You need to upload the pages to your histories folder via ftp. You can follow the instructions on my histories pages.

You have to create the content yourself in a web editor. You can use Notepad++ or a number of web editing options. I use Expression Web 4 or Dreamweaver. EW4 is no longer supported by Microsoft, but if you're just editing the html, it works fine. https://genealogywebtemplates.com/tnghistory.asp

Marsha