TNG Community

Integrating Ancestry.com, RM, TNG with custom fields

treehstn

treehstn

HI,

Newbie here just trying to figure out how to configure everything and the workflow of integrating all the programs.  From reading I've been doing it sounds like if I'm using my Ancestry tree as my main researching tool & only updating new data there then I need to interface it with RM, generate a gedcom to import into TNG.  (correct me if I'm off base please!)

I need to have a custom field for each person in my database that is actually a web link to a separate app I have installed on my site that is a photo gallery.  Do I need to create that as a custom field in Ancestry so it's carried through the other programs?  Will RM & TNG handle that custom field correctly?

Thanks!

Rob Severijns

I don't have any knowledge about Ancestry, RootsMagic and their specific GEDCOM import into TNG for I do all of my work in TNG.

Regarding the link to an external photo gallery you could have a look at the External Media mod by @JLH

Ken Roy

@treehstn

You might want to ask the question on the TNG user2list.  I am aware of some RootsMagic users on the list.  I do not have a tree on Ancestry but have toyed with RootsMagic to replace my PAF 5.2 but never made the commitment to convert.

My impression was that it was better to maintain your data in RootsMagic and sync your tree in Ancestry from there if you wanted to also use TNG.

treehstn
On 3/4/2024 at 4:55 AM, Ken Roy said:

@treehstn

You might want to ask the question on the TNG user2list. 

What/where is the TNG user2list?  TY!