TNG Community

Removing Gedcom file I installed

Debra Dirks

Debra Dirks

Because people are still living and showing when a guest looks at a person, I want to know how to delete the family tree. It's too big to go thru and click on private. Then I hope when I reload the tree into TNG it will not show living people.

In TNG Setup I found Configuration then Import settings. This is what I have:

GEDCOM Folder (Import/Export):  
   Store in config path (see General Settings)
Record Report Number:
Progress Interval (ms):
Default Replace Option:
If 'Change Date' is blank:
If no birth date, assume:
If no death date, assume deceased
if older than:
Assume private if not dead this many years:
Assume living if not dead this many years:
Mark family living if married less than
this many years:

My Brother's Keeper program is also set to not show info on people less than 100.

Is there anything else I need to do so I don't have to go and mark living people private?

Thanks, Debra

If you wish to remove your tree, use Admin > Trees and then click the right-hand 'Clear' button next to the name of your tree. You might want to consider doing a full backup of all tables first in Admin > Utilities (Click 'Select All', then drop down 'Backup', then click Go) so that you can restore your site if you change your mind.

If you are using another program, such as Brother's Keeper, I find it is usually easier and safer to configure the export from that program not to include living people. That way, you are not exporting living people into TNG in the first place. I don't know how Brother's Keeper works I'm afraid, so I can't advise on how to configure it.

You should still set the privacy up in TNG as Chris advises above, in Admin > Setup > General Settings > Privacy. I have taken a screenshot of my settings, shown below:

image.png

You should then make sure that your Guest settings in Admin > Users does not allow living people to be seen:

image.png

I hope this helps you get it sorted.

Rob Severijns

Hello Debra,

Also have a look at the Living_Color_Mod

It will color all of the living persons in your tree so when logged in as Admin it will tell at a glance if a person is flagged as living or private 

My own website is semi-public so only registered users can view my entire tree.

All other visitors can only view public part of my website which means they can only see those who have died more than 25 years ago.

The 25 years is not standard but I did it more or less as a courtisy to the close relatives that are still alive.

If you have a look at my website The Severijns / Timmer Familytree you can see that visitors are forced (redirected) straight to the login page and non-registered visitors won't even see my actual homepage for it contains data of living person.

There is also no longer the need for me to setup a Guest account.

If you install the Customized_Logs_Mod it will split all access logs into three separate blocks:

Show Visitors, Show Users and Show Webcrawlers.

If you notice a lot of webcrawlers install the Bot-Trap_Mod and you should also take a look at Security_related_links regarding the use of TNG

Last but not least it's, like Adrian and Chris said, important to set the user rights & privacy settings correct.

Debra Dirks

If I reload the Hans Jacob Schweitzer GEDcom, with the box checked to replace matching records only, will that work?

In Brother's Keeper I have changed the settings so people under 100 are marked Living.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Debra Dirks said:

If I reload the Hans Jacob Schweitzer GEDcom, with the box checked to replace matching records only, will that work?

In Brother's Keeper I have changed the settings so people under 100 are marked Living.

Thanks

If you import a GEDCOM with the settings to replace matching records only, that is what it will do. As the help line says under the button - "All Current Data means all people, families, sources and notes (media associations are not lost as long as IDs remain the same). Matches are always based on IDs only. New records are always added. Append imports all records with new IDs." So I don't think this is what you are trying to do.

Is there a way in Brother's Keeper of preventing Living people from being exported into your GEDCOM? I understand you have changed the settings so people under 100 are marked as Living, but it would be safer to then stop Brother's Keeper from exporting these in a GEDCOM. Most genealogy programs allow that. You can then clear your tree and import that GEDCOM knowing it does not contain any living people. (Alternatively to clearing your tree, you could set the import option to replace "All current data". Either way, do a backup first.)

On 7/31/2023 at 10:08 AM, Debra Dirks said:

Because people are still living and showing when a guest looks at a person, I want to know how to delete the family tree. It's too big to go thru and click on private. Then I hope when I reload the tree into TNG it will not show living people.

You don't need to delete your tree, then import the gedcom again, to get your objective.

My guess is, you already have another gedcom uploaded.?? For future reference, simply do the following.

Upload your intended gedcom. Then go to Admin >> Import/Export >> Post-import Utilities. Click on either/or both of "Refresh Living" - "Make Private".

Then log into your website and check on any individual that you know as living, to make sure the change has been affected.

Drew..

postimport.jpeg