TNG Community

Wiki not accessible

crashar

Last week I noticed that the Wiki and the TNG home page were inaccessible for about a day.  I did contact Darrin with my IP address but he replied that he saw no evidence I was blocked.  Shortly after that I was able to access the Wiki again.  It was inaccessible for about a 24 hour period.  This morning I noticed I cannot access it again.

That got me thinking.  Sometime last week I ran Robin Richmond's  mod manager compare on my TNG13 installation as part of the process to get ready to upgrade my main site to TNG 14.  Last evening I ran it again on my local site.  This mod does a comparison of my installed mods to the mod pages on the Wiki to create a report highlighting mods which have updates available.  In doing so it obviously must make at least one query to the wiki for each mod installed (there are 38 of them in my case).  This will cause a series of very quick access requests to the WIKI and may appear to be some kind of inappropriate access attempt to the WIKI server.  

So my question.  Are there some limits being placed on the Wiki which will temporarily lock out an IP for a time period? Is it possible I am being locked out for a few hours or a day because I ran the report?

Harold

I am able to access the TNG Wiki with no problem.  You will need to send your IP address to Darrin and have him ask Simply Hosting why you cannot access the TNG Wiki

Rob Severijns

Gents,

I can access all the pages.

If the problem persists you can send Darrin an email with your ip-address included so he can have your IP address white-listed.

Perhaps some other technical geek can verify this for me.  I just turned off the wifi on my phone.  So now it is connecting through its LTE service.  I assume that it would not be using the same IP address as the wifi connection.  When I try to browse to the wiki on my phone using the LTE service, I get the same message "...can't reach this page".  So now I am beginning to think this a different issue.

So I checked my IP with What Is My IP? Shows Your Public IP Address - IPv4 - IPv6.  I tried different IPs using a VPN on my desktop as well as on LTE.  I also tried different browsers.  In all cases the wiki is refusing a connection.  So I think something else is happening here.  Will wait for a few hours to see if it is restored.

Wiki and the Forum work ok, from Australia. No problems at this end.

Oddly enough.  Due to an unrelated matter I needed to reboot my router last evening.  The reboot caused a new IP address to be assigned.  As soon as the reboot was completed, just for giggles, I decided to try to access the WIKI, and to my amazement my access was back.  

I had assumed that my testing using LTE or a VPN indicated a general access issue.  Perhaps it was coincidental, but if the reboot solved my access issue, then that leaves me totally confused (yet happy 😕😀).

Harold

For everyone's info, even though I support the TNG Wiki I do not have an account on Simply Hosting who has been very aggressive with their mod_security rules as of late. 

9 minutes ago, crashar said:

The reboot caused a new IP address to be assigned.  As soon as the reboot was completed, just for giggles, I decided to try to access the WIKI, and to my amazement my access was back. 

Until a better mechanism is put in place, if your IP addess is static, you will need to send it to Darrin so he can open a problem with Simply Hosting to get the access rules cleaned up

Thanks

• Darrin checked my iP adresses, they were not blocked so he sent a support ticket to his hosting company.
  • I do not know if/or what his hosting company did, but this morning I had no problems with accessing the Wiki, with or without my VPN!