TNG Community

how can I alphabetize photos, headstones, documents, etc,

kwbush

Gentlemen or ladies...

I uploaded media to various folders ie photos, headstones, documents etc.  At a later time I added additional media but instead of being placed in the photo section the media was added to the headstone section. Ok my question, How do I, in TNG 11, get the media (photo) that was placed in headstone back to the photo section akphabetized? Seems like a simple request. 

Go to Admin > Media and select the Headstone collection for the search, select the media that you want to move to photos, select the Photos collection and then click the Convert Selected To button

Thanks Ken but I must be doing something wrong as the media I want move stays put.

Hi,

Ken's instructions should have solved your problem.

You could try the remove and reinstall method...

• remove the link to the person in the edit media section
  • delete the media item from the headstone folder in the server

then

• upload the media again as a photo

Whoa... I've got over 7000 people on my site!

That's a lot of work just to alphabetize the contents of a folder!

Merv, Thanks for your input I'll leave it alone for now...

Keith

www.buschgenealogy.net

Below is a reply to a recent post I made. You can view my website to see how I've implemented this file structure.

"I organize all my media by Collection (Headstones, Photos, Documents, etc) by entering the Collection category in the Media Info\Title when I upload a new media item, followed by SURNAME, FirstName MiddleName etc. ex: Photos: Summers, John Smith & Sarah E (Broker). In this way, all the media are more orderly organized which helps me to review and or more easily find any particular media item - and I believe it also aides visitors to more easily locate media items of interest to them."

Thanks DelG... I like how your media is arranged.

I don't think I've explained my situation clearly... When I add either a Photo or Document, Headstones or whatever it is placed at the head of all media regardless of collection.

I want to see the media I add go to the collection it is identified with ie. Photo, Document, Headstones, etc. AND arranged alphabetically... am I hoping for something that is not possible in the current configuration of TNG?  I don't usually link to an individual when  adding media as I don't have a master list of people (with id numbers) readily available. It's a real pain in the ... to look up each individual's id number to attach media!

Oh well, onward & upward

Thanks to all who replied.

Keith 

Hi Keith,

If you don't link your media to a person, then your media won't have any reference to be listed in alphabetical order.

You don't have to enter the person ID to link media. There is a search function available to search by name..

Capture.JPG