TNG Community

TNG Sitemap Creator for Google

steve30000

Steve, thanks for this add-on. It is invaluable.

Have you given any though to also listing cemetery and history pages in the sitemap? Is there a reason I am missing not to do that?

Jerry Johnson

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theKiwi

• steve30000

• Rush

• arnold

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason is that I don't have any cemetery or history pages. :D

I haven't updated to version 6 yet but when I do, I'll take a look at the new database structure for those pages and see if its possible.

• 2 weeks later...

The main reason is that I don't have any cemetery or history pages. :D

I haven't updated to version 6 yet but when I do, I'll take a look at the new database structure for those pages and see if its possible.

Steve,

I updated the routine to handle media and cemeteries. (media includes histories, photos and headstones). (For v6)

createsitemap.zip

thanks for doing the heavy lifting.

Jerry Milo Johnson

• 2 months later...

I added TNG Sitemap Creator for Google to my site some time ago now. One thing that has just come to my attention is that when I search in Google I find that google seems to have indexed the full names of all people, specifically including "the living". So even though I have living individuals partially hidden (I use the firt initial and surname and hide all other details), their names appear in google with a link to the individual record in tng. I would have thought that when googlebot crawls my site, it would pick up information as though it was a not logged in user, so would not be able to pick up this "private" information.

There are a couple of possibilities here. Its possible I created by sitemap before I implemented this privacy guard. I have always been unclear what I need to do with my sitemap after it was initially craeted. Do I need to update it after I upload a new gedcom? Would this overcome the problem of having full names in google, and how long should I have to wait until such an update would take effect in google.

Any help with this topic would be greatly appreciated, as I have no wish to disrespect the privacy of my family. Indeed I have been considering for some time completely hiding all references to living people, but I am still reluctant to do this as it affects the usefulness of the site.

Theoretically, everytime you upload a new gedcom, you should create a new sitemap and let google know that you created a new sitemap. That will initiate the crawler to spider your site again looking for the changes and grabbing new pages. However, Google should spider your site on a regular basis (maybe every month) and find the changes even if you haven't updated your sitemap.

Google should only see what non-logged in users see. So if you are finding that living people are showing up in Google, then it is probably from an older crawl. I would check the "Cached" page on google under one of you living relatives and see the date that it was crawled. That will give you some idea of how long ago the data was gathered. I've found it can take months for updates to appear in Google.

Thanks Steve

The problem is probably not as bad as I thought, the crawler seems to have indexed my site early December, when I had the option of displaying full names, but hiding all other details for the living, so at least there is no detailed information such as dates of birth etc. However, it is still a bit embarrassing that I have allowed this to get through to google.

OK, so now I know, what do I need to do to update the sitemap (rather than generate it from scratch). This is the trouble with implementing something that I don't fully understand :-(

• 3 weeks later...
Jodi Sweere

I used the TNG Sitemap Creator when it first came out and it was pretty cool to have.

I just came back to find it , since I'm in the process of updating my site again, but the download is gone...has anyone used it lately or does anyone know where it's available now?

Thanks all...

~J

Jodi Sweere

Here ya go...

Rush

Thanks Rush,

you ROCK as always :)

Jodi Sweere

You're welcome!

I'm just a hopeless pack rat (I was cleaning up the other day and found drivers I downloaded in 1999 :shock: )

Rush

Hey, don't look at that as a bad thing!

I was rifling thru some discussion forums the other day and came across a request from someone who was looking for Win95 dll's...the person was looking to install older IE versions for checking his page displays in multiple browser versions, and I happened to have those very files on an old installation disk...so...that stuff comes in handy some times :)

Besides, it's not like disks take up as much room as paper files!

Anybody need a TRS80 tape drive... Anybody remember what a TRS80 was... Anybody born before the TRS80? How about some Flexowriter tape with the original MIT Starwars punched in it? You just think you're pack rats!

Just to get this thread a little back on track ;-)

The most recent files are always on my site and can be downloaded here:

http://www.hooverfamily.com/postnuke/index...nload&sid=4

And yes, I remember the TRS80... and my first computer was the TI99/4A and my friend had the Timex Sinclair 1000.... yeah, we were a couple of popular kids :-D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYUjFsucIr8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYUjFsucIr8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I haven't seen much going on with the TNG Sitemap Creator, steve3000's web site is down and I haven't seen him around in a dog's age.

I updated the code to be usable with Google again (mainly the dates) and added the ability to include media in the sitemap.

Here's the DOWNLOAD

Don't want to step on anyone's toes, just wanted to get the great script up and running again.

Rush

I haven't seen much going on with the TNG Sitemap Creator, steve3000's web site is down and I haven't seen him around in a dog's age.

I updated the code to be usable with Google again (mainly the dates) and added the ability to include media in the sitemap.

Here's the DOWNLOAD

Don't want to step on anyone's toes, just wanted to get the great script up and running again.

Rush

Thanks Rush. I haven't had time to do much genealogy work lately and my site was compromised and shut down and haven't even had time to play with that either. One of these days....

My pleasure...

Well good to see you are doing O.k., just busy with other things. Ugh! I know how that is.

Been pretty busy myself with a bunch of other stuff too, but thought I would take a couple minutes and do a little tweaking up.

Rush

Thanks for that Rush and Steve - this post reminded me if nothing else that I should create new sitemaps for Google - I update the sites, but then usually don't remember to run the createsitemap script to get that done.

Cheers

Roger

Thanks for that Rush and Steve - this post reminded me if nothing else that I should create new sitemaps for Google - I update the sites, but then usually don't remember to run the createsitemap script to get that done.

Cheers

Roger

Roger,

You bring up a good point. I haven't looked at this for a long time but you should just be able to create a cron job that runs that script every week or month so that your sitemap always remains current without having manually run it.

Steve

Roger,

You bring up a good point. I haven't looked at this for a long time but you should just be able to create a cron job that runs that script every week or month so that your sitemap always remains current without having manually run it.

Steve

So what advantage does a Google site map offer? I never created one, and people appear to be finding my site with increasing frequency.

I don't know this for sure, but I suspect there are at least 2 advantages of it - in conjunction with having Google Analytics setup, the sitemap URL is registered with Google so that they know your site exists and have an easy path to the pages in your site direct from the sitemap file.

and

the sitemap file has the changed date beside each person and media item, so that Google can go to the new stuff immediately and index that rather than you just hoping that they stumble upon the new stuff by a link from your What's New page for example.

Roger

I don't know this for sure, but I suspect there are at least 2 advantages of it - in conjunction with having Google Analytics setup, the sitemap URL is registered with Google so that they know your site exists and have an easy path to the pages in your site direct from the sitemap file.

and

the sitemap file has the changed date beside each person and media item, so that Google can go to the new stuff immediately and index that rather than you just hoping that they stumble upon the new stuff by a link from your What's New page for example.

Roger

Thanks Roger,

I guess if Google has 15,200 of my pages that I don't need it at this time. It might have been handy 2 years ago, but then I really had no clue about creating and maintaining web sites.