TNG Community

Order of spouses

annvwuelfing

annvwuelfing

Can anyone tell me exactly what information in the GEDCOM file the TNG Import function uses to determine order of spouses? I have been noticing problems with spousal order ever since I started using TNG. In the cases I have seen, the spousal order appears to be correct in my FTM data but it is wrong in TNG after the import. I am trying to determine whether there is something wrong with my original data (in FTM), with the GEDCOM file or with the import function of TNG. Thanks.

John Kleinmann

Can anyone tell me exactly what information in the GEDCOM file the TNG Import function uses to determine order of spouses? I have been noticing problems with spousal order ever since I started using TNG. In the cases I have seen, the spousal order appears to be correct in my FTM data but it is wrong in TNG after the import. I am trying to determine whether there is something wrong with my original data (in FTM), with the GEDCOM file or with the import function of TNG. Thanks.

What dates do you have for the marriages? Are they exact dates? Or just years? Or something like "Bet. 1945 and 1947"?

• 3 weeks later...

In TNG when you EDIT a person's page, scroll down and click on the words "Spouses / Partners". The Spouse / Partners area will expand and you can drag them into the correct order. You can do the same thing to reorder children when you edit a marriage.

Good Luck,

Curt

annvwuelfing

Hi Curt Thanks for taking the time to reply but I do not edit my data in TNG - in fact I reload my whole file every month. So I need to figure out why this is happening and how to fix it. Ann

... I do not edit my data in TNG - in fact I reload my whole file every month. So I need to figure out why this is happening and how to fix it.

Go to Admin > Import/Export > Secondary_Processes and click on 'Sort Spouses'. If you are importing a GEDCOM you should also use 'Track Lines' and 'Relabel Branches'. Click on 'Help in this area' in the header for an explanation of these.

Go to Admin > Import/Export > Secondary_Processes and click on 'Sort Spouses'. If you are importing a GEDCOM you should also use 'Track Lines' and 'Relabel Branches'. Click on 'Help in this area' in the header for an explanation of these.

If you import your data into TNG, then the ordering of spouses and children is best done in your Genealogy program on your local computer. TNG should honor the order from the desktop. If it is not then report this problem to Darrin with sufficient details as to what is happening. A snippet extract of the GEDCOM file might be necessary.

annvwuelfing

If you import your data into TNG, then the ordering of spouses and children is best done in your Genealogy program on your local computer. TNG should honor the order from the desktop. If it is not then report this problem to Darrin with sufficient details as to what is happening. A snippet extract of the GEDCOM file might be necessary.

Actually, Ken, I just did some more checking and it appears that the problem is in the GEDCOM file. The order of the FAMS tags in that file is identical to the order in TNG but not the same as the order in my desktop genealogy program (Family Tree Maker). That tells me that TNG is accepting the order from the GEDCOM file but the desktop program (which creates the GEDCOM file) is messing things up even though it knows the correct order and displays the spouses correctly.

I will report the problem but I have found that FTM/Ancestry does not have much interest in correcting these types of problems. I will check with Darrin too but I expect that my best course of action is to use the spouse sort provided with the TNG Import. Thanks for your response.

Thanks for your reply. Please check out my response to Ken Roy's suggestion - as you can see, I believe that your suggestion is the one most likely to fix my problem.

Actually, Ken, I just did some more checking and it appears that the problem is in the GEDCOM file. The order of the FAMS tags in that file is identical to the order in TNG but not the same as the order in my desktop genealogy program (Family Tree Maker). That tells me that TNG is accepting the order from the GEDCOM file but the desktop program (which creates the GEDCOM file) is messing things up even though it knows the correct order and displays the spouses correctly.

I will report the problem but I have found that FTM/Ancestry does not have much interest in correcting these types of problems. I will check with Darrin too but I expect that my best course of action is to use the spouse sort provided with the TNG Import. Thanks for your response.

Thanks for your reply. Please check out my response to Ken Roy's suggestion - as you can see, I believe that your suggestion is the one most likely to fix my problem.

In FTM if YOU have set a spousal order that is not in chronological order, that is how it is going to be in the Gedcom file.....In fact I just tried it and that is what is happening....

Actually it is the option for a 'preferred spouse' that sets the order of the spouses.

1 FAMS @F5@

1 FAMS @F907@

F5 is my mom and dad.... F907 is his FIRST wife..... preferred spouse order is set for mom with my dad.

Change the spousal order in FTM or just do the sort spouse after the import.

TNG does not sort spouses or children using the gedcom import.

annvwuelfing

In FTM if YOU have set a spousal order that is not in chronological order, that is how it is going to be in the Gedcom file.....In fact I just tried it and that is what is happening....

Actually it is the option for a 'preferred spouse' that sets the order of the spouses.

1 FAMS @F5@

1 FAMS @F907@

F5 is my mom and dad.... F907 is his FIRST wife..... preferred spouse order is set for mom with my dad.

Change the spousal order in FTM or just do the sort spouse after the import.

TNG does not sort spouses or children using the gedcom import.

Hi Scotty - I am not sure why your results are different from mine but I can tell you for sure that in some, though not all, cases FTM is definitely putting the FAMS entries in the GEDCOM in a different order than the spousal order in FTM. I have seen several cases but the most obvious one is a guy with five marrriages. And it has no relation to chronological order (they are chronological in FTM but not in the GEDCOM or TNG). I would have to check more examples to determine if it always puts out the preferred one first but I can tell you for sure that the remaining four spouses in this case are still out of order. I have attached a document showing this particular case.

Since you are evidently an FTM user too, I wonder if you have seen the problem where it sometimes marks people as Living when they have a perfectly valid DOD or are obviously (based on DOB) long-dead?

Russell_Luke___Spousal_Order_Problem.pdf

Hi Scotty - I am not sure why your results are different from mine but I can tell you for sure that in some, though not all, cases FTM is definitely putting the FAMS entries in the GEDCOM in a different order than the spousal order in FTM. I have seen several cases but the most obvious one is a guy with five marrriages. And it has no relation to chronological order (they are chronological in FTM but not in the GEDCOM or TNG). I would have to check more examples to determine if it always puts out the preferred one first but I can tell you for sure that the remaining four spouses in this case are still out of order. I have attached a document showing this particular case.

Since you are evidently an FTM user too, I wonder if you have seen the problem where it sometimes marks people as Living when they have a perfectly valid DOD or are obviously (based on DOB) long-dead?

My mistake for not looking further into this, but I figured out what is happening.... at least in my case. Probably applies to you.

My GGFather was married 4 times. I started out only knowing his first marriage to my GGMother from a family bible. When I moved to Spokane, WA I realized that I had a LOT of family members with a LOT of events that took place in Spokane. Long story short, I found two more marriages so they were added in chronological order. So I had an 1879, 1904, and 1925 full dates. Years later the marriage records are now online and I found another marriage in 1917, so I added that one. And made the order of the names correct in FTM.

But, guess what; the 1917 date shows up in 4th place in the gedcom and of course in TNG. FTM must keep track of how the names are displayed but spits them out in the Gedcom the way there were entered. And as far as I know FTM does not have way to re-sort any field in the database it uses. And I doubt that they care how the order is in the exported Gedcom file either.

Just get in the habit of doing the secondary options as mentioned in a previous message.

annvwuelfing

My mistake for not looking further into this, but I figured out what is happening.... at least in my case. Probably applies to you.

My GGFather was married 4 times. I started out only knowing his first marriage to my GGMother from a family bible. When I moved to Spokane, WA I realized that I had a LOT of family members with a LOT of events that took place in Spokane. Long story short, I found two more marriages so they were added in chronological order. So I had an 1879, 1904, and 1925 full dates. Years later the marriage records are now online and I found another marriage in 1917, so I added that one. And made the order of the names correct in FTM.

But, guess what; the 1917 date shows up in 4th place in the gedcom and of course in TNG. FTM must keep track of how the names are displayed but spits them out in the Gedcom the way there were entered. And as far as I know FTM does not have way to re-sort any field in the database it uses. And I doubt that they care how the order is in the exported Gedcom file either.

Just get in the habit of doing the secondary options as mentioned in a previous message.

That makes sense - I can't remember the entry order for Russell's wives but it could be the same as the GEDCOM order. And I agree that it's unlikely that the FTM folks will fix the problem - though I will let them know about it. I will plan to do the sorts as a part of my upload procedure. Thanks for the follow-up.