TNG Community

Mod Alternate spellings

^maikl11

I can't find a button under Admin >> Import/Export >> Post-import Utilities!!!
See the picture attached!
What's going wrong?
I use TNG version 14.0.3 and the latest version 14.0.0.3a.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 070218.png

The button would have been part of the window where the import progress was showing. You look like you may have clicked on it and not realised…as you are now in the post-import utilities section.

Now you can do all the things like sort children, etc

5 hours ago, ^maikl11 said:

I can't find a button under Admin >> Import/Export >> Post-import Utilities!!!
See the picture attached!
What's going wrong?
I use TNG version 14.0.3 and the latest version 14.0.0.3a.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 070218.png

This is what the Post Import Utilities screen looks like in TNG 14.0.3b2

image.png

Are you sure you're running TNG 14.0.3? Or has the Mod that added Burial Website Media Import button changed the whole thing around?

Roger

Michael,

it seems that you use an old version of admin_secondmenu.php.

From TNG 14.0, you must see the screen displayed as in Roger's image.

So:

1- Uninstall all mods modifying admin_secondmenu.php

(see : https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Using_the_Mod_Analyzer )

2- replace your admin_secondmenu.php with a fresh copy.

3- reinstall your mods.

When you have time, check all your TNG files. May be you forgot something when upgrading TNG from version?? to version 14.0.2

Michel

Thank you very much to all.
Michel's tip helped.
Unfortunately, many mods are not yet updated to TNG1403.
Like for example:
Media Display Columns Mod, Optional Person Rows, Regroup Person-Child2Parent, Public Access Control, Submit Photo/Document or in this case Admin Secondary Processes, to name just a few.

Unfortunately most of the mods you list need a new support person.  Graham Chamberlain, Erik Hoppe, and Jeff Robison are no longer able to support their mods.  Robin Richmond's mod have not all been updated for TNG v14

Michael,

Do all the mods you list have a 'cannot install' on TNG 14.0.3?  Sometimes the mod might install fine and needs no changes, but the author has not noted the highest supported TNG version (14) box on the Wiki.  An example is the Submit Photo/Doc mod, which will install OK.  Usually, if it has a Mod Managers status of 'OK to install' it needs no update to run.

59 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

An example is the Submit Photo/Doc mod, which will install OK. 

It really would be nice if the TNG users who use a mod helped keep the TNG Wiki up to date.  It would also be nice if mods were identified by their correct name on the TNG Wiki.  

Ron,

If you mean the Submit Photo/Document Form Mod that you updated in  TNG v13, and that it works in TNG 14.0.3, please update the TNG Wiki mod page.

Two areas need to be updated:

* The Mod Summary download link to show it applies to TNG v14

* adding the Category:Mods for TNG v14 at the bottom of the mod page

Thanks

17 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

It really would be nice if the TNG users who use a mod helped keep the TNG Wiki up to date.  It would also be nice if mods were identified by their correct name on the TNG Wiki. 

Spent about two hours today, updating the TNG Wiki, with what mods I had vs what I needed. A few of the mods, I did have from TNG 12.3 days, were now under other names. Does make it hard.!!

Plus some from 12.3 actually install on 14.3 with no issues. So they could be updated, as being suitable for 14.3 and possibly 14.2 / 14.1

17 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

It really would be nice if the TNG users who use a mod helped keep the TNG Wiki up to date.

I'm sorry to say I don't see the point, and I don't follow your reasoning. When I have explored using a mod, I found most of the links broken in one way or another and it was not possible most of the time to see the mod in action. Maybe I was just unlucky, but clearly someone that has given up their domain, stopped researching, etc., is not going to go and remove their site from numerous lists.

I only use two or three mods that I haven't written myself, and I am very grateful to the authors of those mods for making them available, but I do not feel obliged to have to keep a wiki up to date. Is there not an easier way for authors to see how popular their mods are? Download statistics, for example?

Adrian, Indicating that you're using a mod isn't just about producing statistics, it's also a way of thanking the authors who are graciously donating their time and knowledge for the benefit of all. This is common practice in the world of free software. Maybe TNG isn't a free software, but its mods are.

1 hour ago, ADC said:

but I do not feel obliged to have to keep a wiki up to date. Is there not an easier way for authors to see how popular their mods are? Download statistics, for example?

If a user downloads a Mod, it doesn't mean he'll use it. So download statistics (which I also use) are not representative of Mod usage.
You should only register your site on the wiki page if you actually use the Mod.
Whether you update the wiki pages when you change Mod versions is less important: what counts is knowing that the Mod is being used.
If, as Katryne says, it's a way of thanking the Mod's author, that's not the main point.

If a Mod is used a lot, it will be given priority for successive updates.
If a Mod is little used, or even not used at all, it's possible that the author will decide to drop it because the work involved isn't worth the effort.
I'm the author of over 70 mods, and I've taken over the maintenance of several others from authors who no longer have the time or possibility to maintain them.
So you'll understand that user lists are very important to us mod developers...

Friendly

Michel

Katryne and Michel, thank you for your replies, both of which make very good points.

Considering I only currently use two mods (one of which is Michel's 😁) I will happily make the effort and update the Wiki now I better understand the motivation for it. And believe me, I am very grateful for those mods as they perform functions way beyond that which I could program.

However, unfortunately, I do think it is a very cumbersome way of recording (and thanking) mod authors, and I think it will naturally be underused. Although, since I cannot think of a better way, I will keep my mouth shut 😂

On 9/27/2023 at 8:38 AM, Ken Roy said:

If you mean the Submit Photo/Document Form Mod that you updated in  TNG v13, and that it works in TNG 14.0.3, please update the TNG Wiki mod page.

Two areas need to be updated:

Ken,  I believe Rick M. has updated the wiki for Submit Photo/Doc Form mod  to indicate it works in TNG 14.

However, the companion mod, Submit Photo Tab , results in a 'partial install'  after installation because of a duplicate insert which is detected as 'not unique'.  I fixed the error by adding a suffix comment and tested the updated mod.  It is posted and should also work on prior TNG versions.

17 hours ago, edglimited said:

Spent about two hours today, updating the TNG Wiki

As some may have noticed, and as a few others have done,  I have taken a different approach to updating the Sites Using sections of the  mods I am using by linking to a mod list direct from my live site which is the same as that in my signature below.  I found it tedious to update the 90+ wiki pages for the mods I use every time a new TNG version or mod version is released.  As Michel points out, the version difference is not as important as simply letting the author know you are using the mod with an entry in the Sites Using section. This approach still accomplishes that.

1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

As Michel points out, the version difference is not as important as simply letting the author know you are using the mod with an entry in the Sites Using section. This approach still accomplishes that.

Hi Ron, the 'Sites Using' sections, was my 2 hour marathon, not the updating of the Wiki itself. Then I tested mods from 12.3 that installed ok in 14.3 and even a mod from 10.0 that installed in 14.3 with no issues.

Thanks to everyone who has spent the time to update the TNG Wiki to show that the mods they are using work for TNG v14.  Thanks also for updating the mod  release icons and adding the Category:Mods for TNG v14 so other TNG Users know the mod is still valid.

As Michel indicated it is not necessary to update every specific dot TNG release, but it is important to know that mods from previous TNG version work in current TNG v14, especially as users will need to upgrade to TNG v14 because their host upgrades to PHP 8 and 8.2 because the previous version may not support those updated PHP versions.

I have also added a new template {{SupportNeeded}} to mod pages that currently do not have an identified support person.

2 hours ago, edglimited said:

the 'Sites Using' sections, was my 2 hour marathon not the updating of the Wiki itself

To clarify, that's the exact Wiki section I was referring to , and isn't that a Wiki update?:)

1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

To clarify, that's the exact Wiki section I was referring to , and isn't that a Wiki update?:)

Cheers Ron. Correct and yes, we're on the same page.

This was the part that threw me, in your prior post. My first thought was maybe he thinks Im updating the Mod Wiki articles and not the Sites Using section. Granted I didn't say "Sites Using".

6 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

I found it tedious to update the 90+ wiki articles for the mods I use every time a new TNG version or mod version is released.

All good.

Drew..

3 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

I have also added a new template {{SupportNeeded}} to mod pages that currently do not have an identified support person.

Hi Ken, can any known mod without an Author or Caretaker, have the {{SupportNeeded}} added to the Mod page, or is it simply a matter of adding {{SupportNeeded}} if you know that the Mod is orphaned regardless of it's age within the Wiki. ...ie: I can think of one Mod right of the bat, from v10 that works in v14. May not be to everyones taste, but it works.

Hi Drew,

If you know of other mods that need that {{SupportNeeded}} template, feel free to add as the first line of the mod page.

I added the template to mods where I may be supporting some of their other mods but am not in a position to take over their other mods that I do not use.

2 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Hi Drew,

If you know of other mods that need that {{SupportNeeded}} template, feel free to add as the first line of the mod page.

I added the template to mods where I may be supporting some of their other mods but am not in a position to take over their other mods that I do not use.

Cheers Ken, will do. Before I add the {{SupportNeeded}}, I will send you an email later today, there's no urgency for a reply.

Thks Drew..

I wonder if a category [[Category:Mods Support Needed]]
wouldn't be more appropriate than a simple {{Support Needed}} template.

This would allow us to see at a glance which Mods need support...

My 5 euro cents...

Michel

5 hours ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

category [[Category:Mods Support Needed]]

I like that idea! But is it more difficult for Ken to setup or not? Maybe even designate in both places.