TNG Community

What's new and Most wanted

Rob Severijns

Rob Severijns

Hello everyone,

I have two suggestions/requests regarding the What's new and Most Wanted information.

What's new: (Solved: see further down the thread))

Adding a dropdown menu offering the user the choice to see the newly/changed informattion over the last 30, 60 or 90 days.

Most wanted:

On the person page add a new tab with the name Most wanted.

The tab contains all the information regarding that person that is still missing and/or needs further research or investigation.

The text should be entered as free text with the possibblity to format the entered text in font, color, style etc. just as in @Michel KIRSCH his Nicedit_media_description.

The information on the Most wanted tab should be incorporated in the GEDCOM export and import.

Last but not least the text should be printable as pdf or plain text.

Printing and editing of the Most wanted information should be in accordance with the user rights policy's for each user. 

In essence this would likely result in two separate mods.

Any further questions, advise or ideas are of course welcome.

I think both of these ideas / suggestions are excellent ones, and would be most beneficial to TNG Users overall..

The Whats New and Most Wanted 'features' of TNG I feel are under utilized mainly because folks do not see the actual potential there is in using them.. The 'Whats New' feature is great for people who don't visit a site very often.. Here they can see at a a glance what changes have been made to almost all areas. But only over a one time specified period. Adding a few alternate time-frames would enhance this really well.. I think it would be quite easy to implement into a future version.

The Most Wanted Feature Indeed as Rob has suggested would be an amazing 'Addition' to the individuals page. This might be a bit more difficult to implement because of the text entering format and the Gedcom requirement. @Rob Severijns you might want to expand on WHY the Gedcom requirement.

Rob Severijns

Rick, the sole reason for the GEDCOM requirement is that we should not lose data from the Most Wanted tab if we export/import a GEDOM.

If data from the Most Wanted tab isn't lost during export/import of a GEDCOM because the data is in a separte database table then maybe the GEDCOM requirement isn't valid but I don't think that's the case if one is doing a clean install and imports a GEDCOM afterwards.

Rick,

You only did a partial update on the TNG Wiki.  You also have to add the category entries at the bottom of the mod page, otherwise the mod does not show as part of the mods for the Mods for TNG v14  for example.  Also with a mod version of v10.0.0.0 cannot apply to TNG v9 since the first 3 digits of the mod number indicates the minimum TNG version the mod applies to