TNG Community

That "Menu Bar"

edglimited

24 minutes ago, edglimited said:

Rick, I can msg you, the code I used to get what I have in my Menu Bar, if it helps in anyway. Looking at what you have now, I dont think you'll need it.

PM sent but Yes I can and add more than one MDD.

YES send me the code you used.. If it worked for you then it will prob be of help to me..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edglimited

• RickM

• Marsha

• John Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, RickM said:

PM sent but Yes I can and add more than one MDD.

YES send me the code you used.. If it worked for you then it will prob be of help to me..

Give me 5mins. Just have to logon to CP.

42 minutes ago, RickM said:

@edglimited

Drew,

Is this a better deal for you??

Some really ^%&^% up CSS in Template 19.... Wow no wonder you all are having issues..

template19-many-mdds.jpg

template19-many-mdds-1.jpg

Now your talking my language. The template is actually one of GWT's, which makes it quite hard to navigate and figure out, as you have just found out.

If you want icons to suit, you will need to create them

The CSS is *&^(+ up for sure, but one can resolve it.. Will have to have a chat with Marsha

44 minutes ago, RickM said:

@edglimited

Drew,

Is this a better deal for you??

Some really ^%&^% up CSS in Template 19.... Wow no wonder you all are having issues..

template19-many-mdds.jpg

template19-many-mdds-1.jpg

Now the fun part.... trying to find a way to incorporate Login, Logout (Search.??) and Edit Profile into a Home DDM.

Just now, RickM said:

If you want icons to suit, you will need to create them

Creating the icons is the easy bit.

2 minutes ago, edglimited said:

Now the fun part.... trying to find a way to incorporate Login, Logout (Search.??) and Edit Profile into a Home DDM.

Great Project.. I might look at it, in the future.. I have a couple of other little projects I'm hooked into.

You shouldn't give up, you do have the talent, maybe not the perseverance!!! 😃

5 minutes ago, RickM said:

maybe not the perseverance!!! 😃

Not for these templates anyway. 😜 🤪

Hi Guys,

I've successfully added a new dropdown menu that can be easily edited and new links can easily be created in code view. The problem comes with the mobile version. It automatically overwrites all of my "hamburger" settings and goes to the default settings, which do NOT include the new menu items. Darrin and I spoke about this over a year ago, but it requires changing the core (not just one or two changes, quite a few changes) and those changes would be overwritten on the next update.

I would be happy to work with anyone that wants to play with this. I'll upload my template to my sandbox and show you what I've done so far. I have to dig through my old files to find it. I'll let you know when it's up. You can preview what it looks like in my html templates: https://genealogywebtemplates.com/webs/gwt264/

Marsha
Genealogy Web Templates
https://genealogywebtemplates.com

22 hours ago, edglimited said:

Cheers Rob, have already sent two msgs on the subject, with no reply. I wont be sending a third.

Hi,

Sorry, I don't usually monitor the forum, so unless you sent me one at marsha@templatesintime.com or marshabryant100@gmail.com, I didn't get it. I just happened to jump on today and see this thread. I'll be happy to help out in any way that I can.

Marsha

Hi All,

I uploaded my template206 to my sandbox. It has my dropdown menu that I use on my html templates. If you "pull in" the sides of your browser, you can see what the dropdown would look like in the mobile version, but if you use a mobile device to look at it, it reverts to the standard menu.

https://huntingwithtom.com/tng/index.php

Marsha
Genealogy Web Templates

3 hours ago, Marsha said:

Hi All,

I uploaded my template206 to my sandbox. It has my dropdown menu that I use on my html templates. If you "pull in" the sides of your browser, you can see what the dropdown would look like in the mobile version, but if you use a mobile device to look at it, it reverts to the standard menu.

https://huntingwithtom.com/tng/index.php

Marsha
Genealogy Web Templates

Hi Marsha,

Not sure what happened with my messages etc, but anyway. All good..

To view my sandbox, please go here. Drew's Sandbox

This is what I am seeking or similar. Colours, Tabs, DDM's etc, are representative only and have no bearing on final Menu Bar. There are 4 user defined areas, that could be managed from within a / any Template. TNG Templates 22 and on for eg. In terms of GWT Templates, that would be your call if implemented.

The user defined areas in the examples are purely that, "examples". I would not recommend anymore than 4 user defined tabs, as it gets messy.

The layout of the Menu Bar is also easier to use, in terms of a Home Button, with areas of user interest in a DDM. Thereby eliminating clutter on the Menu Bar.

In the sandbox, I have altered user defined areas 1 and 4. UD1 is Genealogy Websites and UD4 is Family Sites. The options for each are infinite and only limited by the Site Owners imagination. The level in each DDM is also user determined. Either 1 link or a 100. If you are a Public Site, then UD1 - UD4 are Site Owner determined. If you are a Private Site, with Family Members and limited Guest Access, then UD1 - UD4 are Site and Family determined.

Hope this makes sense.

Drew..

Hi Drew,

I really like the look of the menu. The colors are nice and it definitely doesn't look cluttered. The dropdown that I use (Slimmenu) can easily be styled to look like what you have in your sandbox. I like your ideas on how letting different people see the public & private areas. My problem is, since I'm not a php coder nor a programming coder, is to have an easy way for the end user to add links without writing php and, in TNG, for the mobile menu to show my menu, not the default. I don't have a clue how to do the last two things!

Marsha

10 minutes ago, Marsha said:

The dropdown that I use (Slimmenu) can easily be styled to look like what you have in your sandbox.

Hey Marsha. This was the Template that made me enquire about could the tabs be changed to suit the user. See pic.

I believe this is a HTML Template..?? Can it be used with TNG as it is.??

menubar.jpg

15 minutes ago, Marsha said:

I don't have a clue how to do the last two things!

There are the chosen ones here, that can do just that. They just walk silently among us. 😉

2 minutes ago, Marsha said:

No, that menu can't be used because TNG's default mobile coding overwrites all of my coding. I used my coding in my sandbox: https://huntingwithtom.com/tng/index.php  and added all the menu items one at a time. I'm trying a few things to see if I can get my menu to show up, but so far, no good.

Marsha

No problems.

11 minutes ago, edglimited said:

No, that menu can't be used because TNG's default mobile coding overwrites all of my coding.

Silly question. So how is this Template used.??

24 minutes ago, Marsha said:

I wish I could crack this "nut" but right now, not working for me!

Marsha, I think I have a workaround, that may work. Would be on an individual case by case though, not as a full scale Template.

Let me try something, I will get back to you shortly, via pm on here, or via your GWT Site.

Thks Drew

1 hour ago, edglimited said:

Silly question. So how is this Template used.??

It's not usable for TNG until I can figure out how to have my mobile navigation showing. Template 206 that I have up right now is not the template 206 that I sell. This one is a trial for the menu. I just wanted to see if it could be done.

Marsha