TNG Community

Media Path Absolute/Relative Custom location

KevyNC

Hi 

Hopefully this is a simple question.  I would like to move the media location to a path outside of the default. (Same folder as where rest of subfolders are).

Currently, I  do not have any issues when the media folder inside of the main path. (subfolder)  I also use subdomains but that has not been an issue when the media is in the main folder.

Two reasons are:

1.  to make make backup and FTP simpler for me. 
  2. to allow my multiple installations (test, tng13 and tng14 to access media from one single folder--- as well as my WP site)

essentially  the path might look like this /home/public_html/tng14,  /home/public_html/tng13,  and /home/public_html/testtng  for each of the subdomains.  The directors of the folder is normal within each of them and normally  I would a subfolder called "MEDIA" within each of them but since I have nearly 10K media items I do not want  to make 3 sets of the same file across 3 folders.  so if that Media folder is in the subfolder and I set paths like this:

image.png

all works as expected

What I want to do is to change it do 

"/home1/alveslab/public_html/tng" (So media is in one single place and outsite of the location of where tng versions is installed)

I have tried  the full path and I have tried ../tng/Media -- but it will not display the media items when set this way

so I am doing something wrong with the absolute vs relative path. 

[EDIT]  ALso  file permissions are 750 for TNG path and 755 for Media folder path

and I was able to create thumbnails/paths successfully (on MOST files with exception of large or non photos)

If you can make a symbolic link, you can have a media directory symbolic link in your subdomain point to the one real folder.  Then each subdomain thinks that the one real folder is inside the subdomain and treats everything just like it is a normal folder although it is really a directory symbolic link.

Brent

@bhemph

thank you -- good suggestion.  Not sure that is reliable plus some sites might prevent it working.

I really just need to move the files and allows any TNG install to access the media location... so just need to set thing corrects in TNG SETUP.

Kevin