TNG Community

Parents are cousins

kappclark

I wasn't sure how to list the topic... my brother has discovered that our parents have a common ancestor (John Thomas Scudder 1587 - 1657)...making them 9th cousins with no removals... 

Is there a way in TNG to have a report generated showing the descendancy for each individual from the commpn ancestor ?? Right now the relationship calculator says they are spouses..THX!

image.png

Hi Bill,

It's not surprising to find such consanguineous marriages the further back you go. In 14th, 15th and 16th Europe, whole communities were decimated by waves of epidemics such as The Black Death. And yet, the population rebounded within three generations. The peasantry in particular lived very parochial lives usually within a radius of about five miles (the distance a man could walk twice in a day courting). Cohabitation was usually between people or families you knew - including your own.

I don't go as far back as ninth cousins but in my own tree we have 100 cousin marriages including 40 between first cousins (and first cousins once removed). TNG does (did) have a Mod which can chart these from within your database. I'm not sure whether it remains current for your version  of TNG.

I'll send you a PM with my own chart and a link to an article we wrote on the subject for our website

Cheers Alan

2 hours ago, kappclark said:

I wasn't sure how to list the topic... my brother has discovered that our parents have a common ancestor (John Thomas Scudder 1587 - 1657)...making them 9th cousins with no removals... 

It's more common, than you think. Both of my Parents lines, (Frew & Nightingale) come from the same family. My Father from one Sister and my Mother from another Sister. That was in 1824 and 1825. My 1st Cousin's also married. He was born in 1942, she in 1948.

Frew.jpg

Thank you all for the guidance ... looks like changing the number in the relationships field does the trick....and even her Majesty the Queen married her 3rd cousin .... 

Curious if a 15 generation chart for relationships can be saved or exported to PDF somehow so I can share with siblings...the output is 2 screens worth ... should I print it to a pdf ?

• 3 months later...
Allen Prunty

I hope you don't run across the Howard Family from eastern Kentucky.  They commonly married first cousins and it gets <cough> difficult.   I ran into one instance of a 5 way cousin in that family... and the desktop genealogy program I was using at that time had so many "warnings" on that family that it drove me crazy because it was correct yes they indeed married each other and they also recorded it all in verifiable vital statistics by the govt.

I would be afraid my file would blow up the Cousins Mod.

Allen