TNG Community

Gedcom not importing

Anna

I'm trying to add a newly discovered branch from Ancestry to TNG (I'm using 13.0.1). I used The Complete Genealogy Builder to generate a gedcom for the descendants of the individual that I needed, but when I try to import the file into TNG nothing gets imported.  I do not get an error. The end message is "Finished Importing Gedcom" (see image) and there's a green checkmark next to that, but the total for everything is 0.

I tried to export a gedcom from TNG and then re-import it back, and had the same exact result.  I've tried uploading the gedcom file to the server and importing from there, same result. So I'm assuming that the issue isn't the gedcom itself. 

Can anyone shed any light on this?  Thanks.

Capture.JPG

You have checked "Do not replace any data" - change that to "All current data" - does that make a difference?

Do not replace any data might have the effect you're seeing if the GEDCOM file contains the same people you already have in TNG

Roger

12 hours ago, theKiwi said:

You have checked "Do not replace any data" - change that to "All current data" - does that make a difference?

Do not replace any data might have the effect you're seeing if the GEDCOM file contains the same people you already have in TNG

Roger

Yep, it made a difference, I killed my database :( And stupid me forgot to backup first...

See if your host can restore the database from a previous backup they will have made.

And if you're trying to add to the database, then "Append All Records" is the option you want.

Roger

2 hours ago, theKiwi said:

See if your host can restore the database from a previous backup they will have made.

And if you're trying to add to the database, then "Append All Records" is the option you want.

Roger

Yeah, I restored it, but due to not backing up, I lost 9 months of work (not too extensive, but still)... yesterday was not a good day... I figured that "append" would be my only option now :D 

9 hours ago, Anna said:

Yeah, I restored it, but due to not backing up, I lost 9 months of work (not too extensive, but still)... yesterday was not a good day... I figured that "append" would be my only option now :D 

Do they not keep daily backups of all their clients' sites?

Most good hosting companies do this and can restore from a day, or two or three ago.

It doesn't rely on you making backups for them to do this.

Roger

9 hours ago, Anna said:

Just tried the "append" that didn't work either.  Nothing seems to work, only "all current data", which isn't acceptable, as it simply replaces everything.

Append should do exactly that - add all the stuff from the incoming GEDCOM file to the current data.

What is "The Complete Genealogy Builder"?

Can you make a .zip copy of the GEDCOM file and send it by eMail to rogerkiwi@aol.com and I'll take a look at it.

Roger

On 11/18/2021 at 7:34 PM, theKiwi said:

Append should do exactly that - add all the stuff from the incoming GEDCOM file to the current data.

What is "The Complete Genealogy Builder"?

Can you make a .zip copy of the GEDCOM file and send it by eMail to rogerkiwi@aol.com and I'll take a look at it.

Roger

Roger, "The Complete Genealogy Builder" has been around for some time. I spotted it about the same time, I was using Visual Family Tree & Vista Family Tree. Here's a link.  http://www.tcgr.bufton.org/tcgbover.htm

Drew..