TNG Community

MYSQL Database Upgrade Issue

jhculbert

I seem to be having regular problems with TNG operations.  Here is the latest:

I start MAMP, and get a notice to upgrade the MySQL databases. The instructions say to go to Tools > Upgrade MYSQL Databases, but in MAMP, under Tools, I do not have that option.

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 1.png

There was also a notice to backup my databases before performing the MySQL upgrade, so I tried to start TNG, and get the following message instead of my TNG Home page:

"Error: TNG is not communicating with your database. Please check your database settings and try again. Settings can be found under Admin/Setup/General Settings/Database, or at the top of your config.php file."

On the MAMP start page (See Screenshot 1 again) it says MYSQL can be administered using phpMyAdmin.  So I try to open phpMyAdmin, and get the following error message in Screenshot 2:

Screenshot 2.png

This is WAY too complex for me, there are NO useful instructions, and the information provided conflicts with what I see.  I cannot backup my TNG databases using TNG, because I cannot open TNG, and I am afraid to click the button to upgrade the MYSQL databases anyway because I don't know what will happen, and it appears I will lose my TNG databases, or at least my TNG work over the last week or so that has not been backed up.

How do I get past all these errors and get TNG operating again?

Jim Culbert

Your issue appears to be solely related to MAMMP. You really need to get that up and running properly before trying to use TNG on it. I don't use a Mac  for a home server installation BUT in my windows install of a similar program (AMPPS) I can get to most the info I need through file manager - Finder on a Mac.

Can your Mac handle a more recent version of MAMP? If so, I would go to their site and download and install a more recent version (current version is 6.6) and that way you should get more up to date MySQL. Note sure why it's saying 5.7 and you're up to date? Maybe your Mac can't handle a more recent version of MAMP?

Make sure (if you are using the "htdocs" folder inside the MAMP folder for your site) that you make a copy of that first. The MAMP installer doesn't replace that folder...but I never trust computers...and it's always better to be safe than sorry.

My old desktop iMac runs OSX 10.11, and this cannot be upgraded any more.  And, the MAMP v. 5.7 on it is the latest version I can use.  MAMP v. 6.6 will only work with OSX 10.12+

I did not mention that after the last time I successfully worked with TNG on my desktop, I had left MAMP running, and we had a power failure in my area, so that very well may have caused the issues with MAMP I am currently experiencing.

Fortunately, I do have a backup MAMP/TNG installation operating now on my newer Macbook Air (thanks to many folks here!), which I had planned to use only as a testing environment.   Without any specific instructions on how to access the MySQL database on my desktop, or figure out why the server connection fails, I guess I'm done using TNG on this computer.

Philip, I do intend to look at your instructions on MAMP in the near future, but it may be a few weeks now with all I have going on.  Thanks!

Jim

Michael T. Jones

I run TNG on an iMac with OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) using Homebrew. It is command-line driven but I was able to make it work with some existing online walkthroughs on how to set up Apache/PHP/MySQL. You might try it since it sounds like MAMP isn’t working out.

I may be offer some help if you get stuck.

Back up your site files and then Google how to do a complete uninstall of MAMP, deleting folders in the library folder etc. Run disk first aid afterwards (I don’t think this will do anything but why not) restart and reinstall. That might work? Certainly less complex than home brew.

After backing up the htdocs folder, I opened MAMP expecting to follow the prompts to try to upgrade the MySQL database as was suggested by the error message.  Instead, MAMP loaded without errors.  So, I then go to my TNG URL, and it loads!  This issue is RESOLVED!

Philip, if I had uninstalled MAMP, I'd have had to find an alternative server software that is still works on my desktop, as MAMP v. 5.7 is no longer available on the MAMP website, and I did not keep the download file for it after installation.

Jim

So...I suggest you set the preferences in MAMP where the servers quit when you quit the app. I've found sometimes my Mac gets a bit funny after using MAMP if I didn't shut down the server.

Re older versions...5 seconds of googling got me this 😉

https://www.mamp.info/en/downloads/older-versions/