TNG Community

How is living flag handled

wingfield

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's a wiki that explains how living flag in TNG is determined as a function of gedcom import?  does TNG use the living flag in the gedcom?  what if there is no living flag in the gedcome (ie: if one is using TMG to Gedcom utility and has including living flag turned off).

I've looked around on the forums and wiki; but (and perhaps I missed it) I could not find anything obvious.

thank you in advance for the assistance

david

David,

Did you look at any of the TNG Guides that are anchored in the left sidebar of the TNG Wiki?  or are you just doing searches?

The TNG Getting Started Guide and the Setup Category and Setup - Privacy  should be where to look for this type of information.

Note that if you do not have a left nav sidebar when looking at the wiki, your browser is running in mobile mode, so you need to get it to desktop mode

Thank you Ken,

yeah, I was just doing a search and was left with hundreds of results.  I found what I was looking for in "setup-privacy".  

follow-up question.  is there any way to force TNG to honor gedcom living flag on import?

Best Regards,

David

David,

As far as I know TNG honors the living flags that are in the format

1 _LIVING Y

based on what TNG generates on an export

Ken,

I'll give it a try.  I assume this is the case regardless of what program generates the gedcom file, as long as it's in the proper format that you shared?

David

Who is generating your GEDCOM?  There are quirks with each program.   Some of them are documented in the Desktop  category but not all of them.

David,

I know nothing about that program.  I looked at TMG briefly back in the 1980s but it required too many steps to enter data,  I am still using PAF because it is still the quickest for data entry.  I did try to convert to RootsMagic previously but now that they have moved their forum to Facebook it will not likely happen since I was trying to migrate using a GEDCOM generated by TNG and they error off all the _Living Y flag information.  So they no longer have a user to user help forum.   I got out of Facebook years ago and have no intention of returning.

The only way you will know is to try it.

Best regards

I am an old TMG user but ported over to TNG once support had ended.   I like the display much better.  If your data is still in TMG, use its native export to Gedcom and you will be fine.  I have done so with two very large databases.  Yes, you will have to do some clean-up, but that is true of any transfer of data.

6 hours ago, Rob Roy said:

I am an old TMG user but ported over to TNG once support had ended.   I like the display much better.  If your data is still in TMG, use its native export to Gedcom and you will be fine.  I have done so with two very large databases.  Yes, you will have to do some clean-up, but that is true of any transfer of data.

I am the same - TMG had a steep learning curve but, once mastered, was a great program.