TNG Community

cannot delete a place

Derrick

I click on the x box to delete a place, and the red comes and goes, and the place remains. It's odd; this has never happened before. That's the little video clip attached. It's there still if I log out and come back later.

When I select or more places and click "delete selected," a new utterly white tab opens but nothing changes. This happens in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

Has anyone else seen this?

Derrick

Michel KIRSCH

I had the same problem some time ago. It solved itself.
Small things like this happen relatively often in TNG (about once a week).
Today it's a merging of places. The merge box was not updating (icon indicating that work is in progress). I had to click on another menu.
After checking, the places are well merged.
Another time, the search litbox for a person does not close.
Or the litbox for adding a person who doesn't close after saving.
Neither of these problems are immediately reappearing. Strange...

Robin Richmond

Derrick - Did your problem fade away as Michel suggested it might, or has it stuck with you?  If it is still happening...

• Does it apply only to certain Places, or is it universal? (Hmmm, you might not want to delete many places in order to find out.  Maybe you could create a couple and see if you can delete them.)
  • As one example of my question above, does it matter whether the Place has "no associated events"?
  • What happens if you edit the Placename of a place you cannot delete. First, can you edit the placename? Second, one you have edited it, can you delete it?
  • Does this happen with any other objects (media items, branches, etc.)?

- Robin

Michel KIRSCH
8 hours ago, Robin Richmond said:

Did your problem fade away as Michel suggested it might,

Robin, I must say too that i've not yet "installed" the 13.0.1 patch of 01 dec 2020...May be is it of importance?

Michel

It is still there. I've just uploaded to 13.0.2, and the problem remains. I do not create place names in TNG, and I only edit them there to set place levels or to connect places to cemeteries. All editing is done on my desktop (Reunion). I've been trying to delete places whose names I have changes or updated and are now, on TNG, no longer associated with events.

That being said, whether a place has an associated event or not, and whether it has location information or not, I cannot delete it.

I can delete other media, but only if I select the media and use the "delete selected" button. I cannot delete Places that way. For Places, the result is a completely blank new tab with the address "https://~/admin_deleteselected.php." When I return to Places and reload the place will still be there.

Thank you for responding. This is about the oddest problem I've seen in TNG for a long time!

Derrick

Derrick

If this is a TNG problem, it needs to be reported to Darrin.  This is a user to user help forum that Darrin does not monitor.

Edited - I see nothing in the TNG 13.0.2 Change History that would indicate that this problem has been fixed.

2nd Edit - there is a Change Log entry that the code that was causing the blank place name has been fixed

Places/Media: Adding a new media item without an associated place would result in a blank place record being created (fixed).

but no entry regarding a problem deleting places having been fixed

Robin Richmond
On 12/18/2020 at 5:39 AM, Michel KIRSCH said:

Robin, I must say too that i've not yet "installed" the 13.0.1 patch of 01 dec 2020...May be is it of importance? 

Well, I had downloaded and installed the Dec 1 patch file, and I saw that neither admin_newmedia.php or admin_updatemedia.php had been fixed. But TNGv13.0.2 does has fixed the3m both. The fix to admin_updatemedia.php is exactly as I has specified.  On the other hand, in admin_newmedia.php, Darrin completely removed the code that created a Place record. I realize now that that is the proper fix. After all, when the media item is first created by admin_newmedia.php, the user hasn't even seen the map section of the Media Edit page yet. So $place would always be empty at that point in the code.