TNG Community

Has anyone upgraded your mysql to 5.7 and had no issues?

ladykat

I am having issues after upgrading my server

I was just wondering if anyone else is having issues with tng after upgrading to MySQL 5.7

Ladycat,

You might get better help if you indicated what kind of problems you are seeing

I'm sure that I upgraded to MySQL 5.7 quite some time ago on TNG 10.1.3 without any issues.  I'm running TNG 12.3 on PHP 7.4.9 and MySQL 8.0.19 now without issues.  I tested a heavily modified TNG 12.3 on PHP 8.0 beta 1 with MySQL 8.0.19 recently just to see what problems I could find though, so I might not run into the same types of issues that a lot of users would.

• 6 months later...

I also have big problems with MySQL 5.7!
After a crash I created a new database and didn't even notice that the version number of MySQL was changing!
I had reinstalled TNG with the new database! And it went slowly up to the "500 - Internal Server error".

Now I have reinstalled everything again, but with a MySQL 5.6 database, and everything is running smoothly again !!!!!

Just an FYI, but MySQL 5.6 support ended February 2021 after 8 years of being supported.  So only MySQL 5.7 and 8.0 currently have support, although MySQL 5.7 is on extended support since October and Oracle suggests to migrate to MySQL 8.0.

• 4 months later...

Hoping someone can help. I'm at my wits end. Trying a fresh install of TNMG v13. Cannot et the database connected.Used to be so simple. Now requires database user and password.Have tried everything.

Hi Del,

Why not simply do an upgrade to your existing site?

Connecting a database to TNG has not substantially changed. TNG always required a database user / password as far as I remember.  See Setup - Database

Del,

If this is on your hosted site, maybe you want to restore your site or have your hosting service do it. 

Once restored, you should put your site in Maintenance Mode,  Currently if I click on your signature link, I get the readme install.

Actually, if do not want to go that route, open your config.php file with an ASCII editor and set the Maintenance Mode on manually by changing it to

$tngconfig['maint'] = "1";