TNG Community

Importing new Gedcom into existing database

africanaunty

Hi  there

I have about 2500 people in a family  tree on TNG - can I import a GEDCOM into the same TNG database for completely different people and will it just increase the number of people and not touch any of the existing data? Sounds doff but I am sure it must work as long as i choose the right settings?

Dont want to bugger anything up. I just find it easier to work on a local machine and then upload when finish instead of adding one by one on a live site.

thanks in advance

Heather

Yes - choose the "Append All Records" option. This will ADD everything in the new file to the existing tree, leaving everything in the existing tree alone and the same.

If there are any people who are the same in both the existing and the new incoming, then you will have to Find and Merge them afterwards.

Make a backup of your database (TNG Admin ------> Utilities) before you start.

Roger

• 4 months later...
Michel KIRSCH

If you work in local with TNG and will put your changes on your online site, try this :

in local : backups all your tables (Admin/Tools/Select All/ with selection => backup).

with Filezilla (or similar) transfer all the tng_xxxxxx.bak files contained in your backups directory from local to the backups directory online

on line : restore all your tables (Admin/Tools/Select All/ with selection => restore).

After that you must transfer new photos, documents,.... from local to line with Filezilla (or similar)

Michel