TNG Community

Sources / citations

fluffy82

I know this has come up a couple of times, but I still don't really get how TNG uses sources and citations...

My tree has 52 sources. Whenever I upload my gedcom to TNG, it says there are 52 *unused* sources. Which is not true. I am in the middle of a clean-up of my tree. I removed all sources, and I'm now attaching them one by one, person by person, citation by citation. So all sources in my tree are used.

What is true, is that none of the sources is linked to a person. Which is normal: a source is linked through a citation. Never directly. One source can have many citations, one citation can be attached to many persons or many facts (though I believe TNG prefers to split identical citations into multiple ones if there is more than one person involved?).

But then, when I click on a source on my website, the only links I can see are persons (I have never ever linked a source to a person, only to citations which are then linked to an event/fact). The citations don't show at all. It's really confusing.

So, on one hand, TNG tells me the 52 sources are *not used*. On the other hand, it does show them all to be linked to things I never linked them to, and ignores the existing links. But anyhow, the sources are clearly *being used*.

What I should/would like to see is the following (with an example):

Source: 1841 England Census

Clicking on that, or below the image, I should see a list with all citations of that source (where it now displays a list of persons):

* Class: HO107; Piece: 616; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Claypole; County: Lincolnshire; Enumeration District: 1; Folio: 6; Page: 5; GSU roll: 438756
* Class: HO107; Piece: 685; Book: 13; Civil Parish: St Pancras; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 31; Page: 57; GSU roll: 438801
* Class: HO107; Piece: 730; Book: 6; Civil Parish: St Anne Soho; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 49; Page: 12; Line: 3; GSU roll: 438833

Clicking on one of those, I should see a list of all things that specific citation is linked with:

* Mary Ann Gibson: name
* Mary Ann Gibson: birth
* Mary Ann Gibson: 1841 residence
* Mary Ann Gibson: occupation
* Charlotte Ann Henderson: name
* Charlotte Ann Henderson: birth
* Charlotte Ann Henderson: 1841 residence
* Charlotte Ann Henderson: occupation
etc

Or, not to every single fact/event but only the person in general (like it does now with the sources). That's an option too.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this how TNG should work but it just doesn't with me for some reason? Or does TNG really treat sources in a completely different way? If that's the case, how can I change that into what I want to see?

• 5 weeks later...

Any news on this? Is there a simple explanation available on how TNG uses sources and citations (as in my eyes it is faulty)?

To summarize:

• TNG says I have 52 unused sources, while it does show them attached to people
  • I have never attached a source to a person, nor should I. A source cannot be linked to a person, only a citation can
  • why does it make a new citation for each person/fact, while they are identical? I want to be able to attach one single citation to as many people/facts as I like
  • is there a way of showing the source > citation > person/fact list as shown above?

Thanks all!