TNG Community

Any takers for these mods?

mkoche

17 minutes ago, mkoche said:

It is right next to the menu...

Ahhh,...gosh, I had blinders on,  looking only in the popup.  Nice option. I think that capability, along with also being able to right click and open in a new tab for any specific link in the popup  makes this mod more powerful indeed.

Ron

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mkoche

• tngrlkrz

• Ken Roy

• Katryne

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scott,

When you redid the styling  for the latest version of info_harvester  the tooltip 'title' was dropped.  Other than that, the mod works very well.

Ron

Scott,

I dowloaded the plugin for Webtrees which proposes a service similar to your Info-harvester. Download page is here : https://justcarmen.nl/fancy-modules/fancy-research-links/.

I do not use Webtrees, but it is licensed under GNU GPL and its code can be used freely.

In the folder app/Plugin, one find php files, one for each website and it seems that the way of making the query for the particular website is detailed too. It's made par a Dutch, I think, and many links are about Netherland.

Link Area
Ancestry($) International
Billion Graves International
Elephind Newspapers International
Family Search International
Familytreeseeker International
Find a Grave International
Findmypast($) International
Geneall($) International
Google International
Prisoners of the First World War International
Roglo International
Rootsweb International
Wikipedia International
Rijksarchief België Belgium
Wikipedia-Personensuche Germany
Archieven.nl Netherlands
Delpher Krantenarchief Netherlands
Digitale Stamboom Netherlands
Graftombe Netherlands
Het Utrechts Archief Netherlands
Militieregisters($) Netherlands
Online Familieberichten Netherlands
Stamboomzoeker Netherlands
Voorouder.nl Netherlands
WieWasWie Netherlands
Zeeuwen Gezocht Netherlands
Deceased Online United Kingdom
Genealogy.net Meta Search Link only
Online Begraafplaatsen Link only

I really like the idea f the separate php files per search.  If I could make it simple to do then It could be updatable as needed and things change.  I am also curious about how they handle subscription services...

For anyone who is following the saga of Info Harvester.

I posted a new version Infoharvester2.zip

Added new Option

This was for you Katryne.  My hope is that you could test it out with a good french tree site. If you find a good surname site let me know.

To make it more useful to folks who don't like geni as the tree to search or who want something in their own language, I have made it so that you can change the tree search in the mod options. I have tested this with only one site - Worldconnect - and it performed well.  I have several issues with it. Sites like familysearch and geneanet require subscriptions for searches.  I do not know of a way to send subscription information in a single url (but there may be).  My sense is that many sites will move this direction.  So the long time fix is to figure out how to enable the sending of subscription data... which for security reasons might be hard??

The surname search will switch to Wikipedia for non-English speakers since it switches languages nicely.  But the wiki tag of surname seems to be quite spare.  What should I do about that?  I need a closer to foolproof solution.

I am currently happy with the google search.  Since I added the ability to open it in a new tab... and realized that right clicking opens in any links in a new window, I even discovered some interesting information for my own research last night.  I suppose the right click message should be prominently displayed in the popup header.... But I will leave this til after and if I get any more feedback.  The search options at the top of the google popup I really like.  Would like feedback from others.

A big footprint

Finally the plugin adds about 340 lines of code to getperson.php.  I know this is extravagant.  I thought of moving the css and scripts to an external file.  But both are determined partly dynamically so the gain would be little.  I think it is better to leave them. 

I promise to not think of something new to add.  And to await any comments. 

Cheers,

Scott

Katryne -

Just to say thanks - the customizing option was a way of implementing the many php file approach you found. I suppose I could do exactly the same but I am thinking if it worked we could just post and editable list of search urls somewhere on the tng site.  I like this better because these sites are often changing the way they do searches.  The two things that really need to be figured out is how to handle sites that require even a free login and how to give people a workable variable for places... everyone uses the place fields a little differently so, for example, to extract a useful place for FindaGrave seems complex.  At least, I don't know how.  For now, I only use places in the google search.

Any way, good detective work.

Scott

6 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Scott,

When you redid the styling  for the latest version of info_harvester  the tooltip 'title' was dropped.  Other than that, the mod works very well.

Ron

Ron - I had actually thought it could be cut -- since it is in English -- but put it back in after you commented.  Added more custom text... I was avoiding that.

24 minutes ago, mkoche said:

Ron - I had actually thought it could be cut -- since it is in English -- but put it back in after you commented.  Added more custom text... I was avoiding that.

I'm OK either way; I just had noticed it was there before...and yes, being english it is redundant.

Ron

If you try to add your own tree link, I realize that I have an issue on the instructions... here are the variables that should be there:

List of Variables
Paste exactly as provided

Person's Surname - {$ihsurname}
Person's Firstname - {$ihfirstname}
Person's Birth Year - {$ihbirthyear}
Person's Birth Year Range - {$ihyrrange}
Website Language - {$ihlang}

Scott,

Only was able to load info_harvester2 one time successfully on each of my test sites.  Otherwise, only the page header displays, and then  getting the 'looping circle' in the browser tab, and TNG is out to lunch waiting for task completion.  The only way to clear it is to edit out all the mod's inserted code in getperson.php, clear the cache, and then reload TNG.  Then,  MM indicates 'partially installed, because the language additions are still present, so then used 'cleanup'.  Puzzling, since this happens on a clean TNG 12.1b and customized TNG 12.1b.  What I did see when it loaded looked nice, with the search options for spouse insertion,etc, but I didn't see the 'open in new tab' option, ...maybe hidden behind the popup. BTW..earlier when I couldn't find the 'open in new tab' link,  it was because it was overlayed by the popup since I had increased the width.

Any ideas what might be causing this behavior?

UPDATE:  I happened to wait a bit longer (didn't time it, more than 30 seconds), and after likely more than a minute, the page finally displayed!!  I will try disabling all but the google search and see what that does.  I'm thinking it was out searching on the surname or genie searches before deciding what to display for links (all three displayed).

UPDATE2: Working fine once I disable all but the google search (which is the option I would use).  Also, the 'open in new tab' was indeed hidden by the popup until screen percentage reduced. The new search options are great.

Thanks Ron -

surnamedb has gone off line.  I am taking it out altogether.  Will replace it with wikipedia, which I think is more reliable.  Will post update.

One day later and the 3rd iteration of Info Harvester is up.  The surname.db was a serious problem (they seemed to have crashed today) but it was useful because I realized that prechecking websites is a real problem if any go down.  So I took out all this stuff.  And changed surnamedb for wikipedia, which I trust is more reliable. (no more prechecking means all the links you choose will now be there all the time.  This was confusing people when they were not any way)

And I added in a FamilySearch search.  I think it is pretty groovy.  I made it so that it prefills, name, place and dates...

Sorry Ron for the delays!!!!  But I think it was a good lesson about what can happen with this.  It seems to go blazingly fast on my computer now.

Oh and Katryne, those PHP files were amazing.  They contain almost exactly the lines we need to add in other websites.  I added a bunch in the edit options section of the mod. 

Enjoy,

Scott

(It is on the first post, but I thought I would stick it here to for convenience)

InfoHarvester3.zip

Well Scott, you have been doing an amazing job, thanks !

Wikipedia is ok and enables browsing within the popup.

Geneanet (online tree search) is perfect.

And you have done marvels with the internet search.

And now, I will give you some more to think over and probably some more work to do.

Besides this, for the Family search, I have to connect to my account, then, the website opens , but not in the popup and not in a new tab : it comes in place of my tab and I loose my website. Afterwards, the search fields are empty and I have to enter myself surname, name and so on. So, as it is, it is not of any use : I loose the page of my site, I must connect and I must fill by hand the search fields.

This error message (on getperson page : https://genealogie.revestou.fr/getperson.php?personID=I1450&tree=revesto#) has something to do with php 7.3.2 which is in use on my site. If I want the message to disapear, I could put some quotes around spck, but I am not sure that it will mean the same thng. (I do not speak php fluently...)

Citation

Warning: Use of undefined constant spck - assumed 'spck' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/18/..../htdocs/tng12/getperson.php on line 198

And I keep having the following error messages I mentionned previously when installing/uninstalling the mod. I do not know what it means, but when I come back to Info-harvest setting, it is running correctly and afterwards, I do not see the message again, exept if I launch the uninstall or install.

Citation

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /homepages/18/d.../htdocs/tng12/classes/modparser.class.php on line 358
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/18/d.../htdocs/tng12/classes/modparser.class.php:358) in /homepages/18/d.../htdocs/tng12/admin_modhandler.php on line 207

Edited by Katryne
modified the "direct" website address in the last quote

That is a lot!

1. The logins are not supposed to work that way. Once you are logged in, the search should function normally on your site.  But it should also come up in a new tab so that you don't lose your window. I may need to see it in action on another computer.

I used the familysearch from your site (I am already logged in to familysearch) and it worked perfectly.  Try logging into familysearch before your go to your site to see how it is supposed to work.  May need to be a user message perhaps that says you must log into familysearch first.

2. spck was a typo, I think. Fixed.

3. Hmm. The last one requires more thought.

Here is a version that should get rid of the spck message at least....

info_harvester_v12.0.0.3.cfg

UPDATE:  yeah, on my tablet the family search refuses to recognize the login.  Will have to research why.

About the last error messages : maybe it has to do with the other installed mods. Here are mines :

1. Ancestor Map
2. Comments
3. Event Map Add Children Births
4. Info Harvester
5. OpenStreetMap
6. Public Access Control
7. Regroup Person Profile
8. Regroup Person-Date Place
9. TextPlus Charts
10. TextPlus Charts Languages

Regroup person profile and Regroup Person date place change the location of datas especially in the top of the person page.

Well, everything is in order for me,, with the default settings (except with the error message when installing/uninstalling, but it causes no issue.)

Now I am going to test the settings customization.

Scott,

With the most recent info_harvester version,  the default setting for the iframes were a bit askew:

image.png

But after adjustments, and after a couple minor changes, mainly to highlight the right link for new tab so more noticeable, I have this:

image.png

Ron

Hmm will investigate errors and conflicts!

I am thinking of moving the mod out of getperson.php and into genlib or personlib.  It would then be called from the heading function ... which I know is already to crowded but it makes sense to me that the search menus would be persistent across all screens for the person. 

I am also thinking that I will make it an expandable menu that opens into more choices if you click it.  This adds one click but it would tidy it up a bit. 

So it would look almost the same but a) it would be available whether you were on the individuals, ancesetors, descendents...etc pages and b) it would just be a clickable icon that perhaps says something like "internet searches."

Opinions?

Rewriting to have on those other tabs could result (not sure) in some significant conflicts  with other mods.  In my case, the descendants, ancestors and the associated heading area are quite customized by published mods and my own private stuff. IMO, since  primarily doing name searching, it's seems best on the individual/person page, which is sort of the personID's home base.  

For my use, I'm happy with the mod as is, but then I'm only using the google portion.  There's been a lot of 'views' of this thread, but not so sure how many folks are actually considering using this mod.

p.s. did you say earlier on that it is not feasible to have the 'open in new tab' link in the popup itself instead of outside it to the right?  If not, could it overlay other existing things on the right during the popup?  Just curious (and very naive on the popup coding).

Ron

Great feedback. I still want to move it so that it stops cluttering this page but it can pretty much stay where it is (figuring out the one formatting issue).  The "open in new tab" can certainly move into the popup.  Not an issue.  I did not have a menu bar there before, and now I do.  It will go on the right side of the popup.

Hmm - looking at your placement problem, Ron, not sure what causes it.  It places fine on my system.  And I didn't change the placement anytime recently.  I wonder if just renaming the divs might handle it.  Perhaps there is a mod using one of the same names.  Any insight?

So I am decided that this is the hopefully final list of things I need to do on info harvester....

1. Make the main link a link that if hovered over shows a list of "Research Tools," if more than one is chosen. If only one is chosen, then it just displays that link as normal.

2. Make the whole mod a function that lives elsewhere - so only one line of code is added to getperson.php

3. See if I can figure out why Familysearch doesn't work in some browsers and put a warning that login is required.

4. Tighten and eliminate as much redundant or unnecessary stuff as possible.

5. Move the open in new tab link to the menu bar on the popup.

6. Change the name to Research Tools (boring but it is closer to what it does).

7. Consider eliminating the surname section as such and just make it a general wikipedia search.  (This was really what I used my mod for... so I may keep this functionality on my own site in a separate mod).

8. Put it up as a mod for folks, with a warning that the research links are subject to changes.

Super thanks Ron and Katryne for testing this with me.  I am going to put a thanks in the mod to... oops, that should actually go on my list above.

Let me know if there is anything you think that should also be done.

Scott,

The frame issue was easily fixed in Edit Options by reducing the default setting of 99% "For Trees and Search screens. This is the width of the popup on your screen".  Probably should be a bit lower as default. 

Minor comments on your points.

2) I assume you thinking of using an 'include' to pull in the code into getperson.php.  Doesn't really matter externally, but be cleaner outside.

5) Like that, will be easy for users to spot it in the top of the popup.

6) Sounds fine, since Research Links is already taken (and I have it installed and offered limited support for it until the author reappears).

7) Yes, the surname section I wouldn't miss, ...tried all my lines, and only some meager results on a couple.

I know from looking under the covers you added and even rewrote a lot of stuff internally in just a few days in response to our feedback.  It is much appreciated.

Ron

Brilliant, thanks Ron.  No I hadn't been thinking of an include that is so much easier that what I attempted! 

Your comments have helped me solve issues I didn't know were there. So the thanks is mutual.