TNG Community

Updating Branches

Horsman_ONS

As part of my One Name Study I want to use branches to identify the various families.  I am in the process of uploading my data from Brothers Keeper a branch at a time.  I create the branch in TNG as I do this.  eg: Leeds (description 'Leeds Thomas Tailor')  then upload the data and then add labels.  Then on to the next branch.  But it seems that somehow families for one branch are being incorporated into another branch. If I look at the individuals associated with Leeds Thomas Tailor, it also shows people whose branch ID shows as LeedsArmley,  LeedsBramley etc.   The individuals show OK on their own branch.  It seems that they are also being added  to a branch whose Id is shorter than their own.  Eg individuals in LeedsArmley are being added to Leeds.  I originally had this problem with 'Ripon'  'RiponSharrow'  until I cleared out all the labels, deleted the branches and recreated as 'MainRipon'    'SharrowRipon'.

Is it meant to do this, or is it a 'fault'?

Sue

Hi Sue,

It's meant to be that way, I believe. It can actually be used in many clever ways (I have read so)

I prevent it by adding a "x" to the branchID f ex Leedsx, LeedsArmleyx, LeedsBramleyx etc. As long as no branchID is like Leedsxname it will separate the branches.

Maybe someone else has a better way..?

HTH

Erik

Erik - that makes sense.  I guess that allocating people to the shorter branch ID could have its merits - need to think about that. I've adjusted a couple of offending ID's and all is well.   Its all part of the learning curve!

Ron - thanks for the info on the mod.  Unfortunately I cant use mods as I'm hosted by the Guild of One Name Studies, and software is managed centrally.