TNG Community

Add Witness

Peter Buyk

• 8 months later...
Chris Lloyd

I don't think it matters how you do it - as long as it makes sense to you and you are consistent in the way you record witnesses.

I was just wondering, it's the 1st "witness" I have to enter.

I chose the "association" feature in the end, with the reverse option, so the wedding will be shown on the witness personnal page and the witness will be displayed on the family page too.

• 1 month later...

I faced myself with this same question. I started adding the witnesses of christening events in the notes, using just plain text. The problem; this data is not (easily) searchable. The names in the notes field don't link to actual individuals in your database. Creating a hyper-link in the notes to the person page is possible,  but it is a one-way linkage. On the witnesses own person page you cannot trackback all the events he witnessed.

Maybe using an association is indeed an option, but I would like the association to really link to the christening event, not to the overall person (where you can name the association).

It would be nice when there was on option to add witnesses to your database, and associate them as witness to an event. I'm still not sure which approach i will take on this in my database.

Newfloridian

I have never found this an issue. I do all my data collection in Legacy 7.5 (never bothered to upgrade!!) This has a specific space in the area for witnesses where you add marriage details. I then upload this by GEDCOM to my online site. Witnesses (where present) are carried across into the line below the marriage date and place on the person's data sheet.

Look at the family block immediately above the Event map in this example:

Frank Tansley - details

I've never had to try to add details direct to TNG

Alan

• 1 year later...
Fritz Loseries

Hi Alan,

you will see the witnesses in the marriage event, but in the sheet of the witnesses there is no link set to whom they are witnesses.

This would be sometimes (in may case searching for possible relations) very useful.

Do you enter in Legacy the name of a witness or can you create the witness as a new person and link the person to the witness role.

This seems to be the idea behind Association and it is very very helpful.

Regards, Fritz

What I do (but this won't work for everyone) is not adding the witnesses to the baptism event, but to the media file that is attached to it. I always write a transcription of the text on the media in the description. There I put names in the <a></a> format. This shows hyperlinked names next to the image with every baptism.

• 1 year later...
On 7/11/2019 at 12:07 PM, Arnaud said:

I faced myself with this same question. I started adding the witnesses of christening events in the notes, using just plain text. The problem; this data is not (easily) searchable. The names in the notes field don't link to actual individuals in your database. Creating a hyper-link in the notes to the person page is possible,  but it is a one-way linkage. On the witnesses own person page you cannot trackback all the events he witnessed.

Maybe using an association is indeed an option, but I would like the association to really link to the christening event, not to the overall person (where you can name the association).

It would be nice when there was on option to add witnesses to your database, and associate them as witness to an event. I'm still not sure which approach i will take on this in my database.

it is indeed an issue, and it is strange that this has not been adressed since. Associations should be linkable to events.