TNG Community

Geocoding tab missing in TNG 12.0.1

Katryne

Hello !

In my TNG 12.0.1, freshly installed, in Places management, the Geocoding tab is missing except when I display the merge tab.

I use OSM mod and ancestor map mod.

geocode-tab-missing.png

geocode-tab-missing2.png

geocode-tab-access.png

Sounds like something you need to report to Darrin or post on the tng12tester list.  I am not seeing the geocode tab on Places and do not have either mods installed.

It is my fault!

And you CAN still BATCH geocode! (Well I can...)

As I say in the Geocode part of the OpenStreetMap mod Wiki  https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=OpenStreetMap

I have disabled batch geocoding because I don't know how to call OSM for that. It's disabled by removing the Geocode tabs.

But I missed the tab "inside" Merge. It will be gone in a future version.

HOWEVER!

It seems like G**gle doesn't care for an API key when you call for batch geocoding..?

You can still batch geocode in that tab!

Go to Admin >> Places >> Merge >> Geocode

The opportunity may be gone soon so take advantage of it while it lasts!

Thanks Katryne for letting us know.

Erik

• 1 month later...

It's still possible to BATCH GEOCODE without a key!

Go to Admin >> Places >> Merge places >> Geocode (the tab is still there - but only there)

I just now (Aug 11) tried it and it works :)

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Erik

EDIT: PS: This is only if you use the OpenStreetMap mod.

• 2 months later...

Hello Erik and everybody !

Batch geocoding does not work anymore, on either of my 2 TNG (with OSM). It still worked at the begining of October.

Is there anything to do or to check ?

Besides this, your OSM mod runs like a charm. Thank you again Erik.

Well, Erik, I would prefer it to be kept, because at least it gives a list of missing geocodes, with editing links. If the base includes numerous locations, it's quicker than running through all the pages.

Note that the error message mentions an over-quota issue.

9 hours ago, Katryne said:

Note that the error message mentions an over-quota issue.

This problem with Google Maps batch geocode was reported on the TNG user2 list recently.  Darrin indicated he would contact Google but he has not yet posted an answer. 

It is also possible that Google has finally shut down the batch geocode if you do not have an API key.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with geocoding error message of "over-quota".

I finally determined that google changed their policies this summer.  I signed up for another free account and geocoding works again.

Scott

www.waynepryergenealogy.com

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 1:59 PM, Ken Roy said:

This problem with Google Maps batch geocode was reported on the TNG user2 list recently.  Darrin indicated he would contact Google but he has not yet posted an answer. 

It is also possible that Google has finally shut down the batch geocode if you do not have an API key.

Hi!

Darrin, could you please tell us, if you have contacted Google? What do they say? What do you intend to do in order to reestablish the batch geocode facility?

Darrin does not monitor the TNG Community Forum,  so you will need to ask this question on the tng user2list.  If you are not subscribe to the list, go to TNG Admin and click the Getting Started link in the top of the screen.  The help screen will tell you how to subscribe

Thank you Ken for referring to the mailing list.
If there was a solution to the problem, you would have told us this certainly in the forum.

Nico

• 4 months later...

As far as I can see, there is only one solution to the problem: If you want to continue to use Google Maps you have to pay for it.

Nico

Yes, Google went to a pay for access last year... Most users would not actually get charged as they use it far less that the pay process requires but you would have to give them a credit or debit card to use Google... That said, one of the TNG mod makers made a mod discussed here... 

Here is the link to the actual mod... https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=OpenStreetMap

17 hours ago, NicoM said:

As far as I can see, there is only one solution to the problem: If you want to continue to use Google Maps you have to pay for it.

Nico

Sorry for the language, but that's b-sh*t. You need 2000 visits per day on a page using a map on your site to get charged the lowest fare. I don't think a genealogy website ever gets that many visits...

One other thing, though this thread is maybe not the right spot... I do not use, will never use and do not wish to use OpenStreetMaps. Yet there is a huge link to OSM on some pages. I do not want it there. Any ideas on how to remove it? It's native to TNG, as I never used any mods using OSM and it remains there with all mods disabled.

Screenshot_20190415-102210_Chrome.jpg

Well fluffy82, as they say, to each his own...

As far as the OpenStreetMap link... It is a Core TNG link and was not added by a mod but you can modify the Placesearch.php file, (line 349 in my file), to rem // out the OpenStreetMaps link. Jim

il y a 50 minutes, fluffy82 said:

You need 2000 visits per day on a page using a map on your site to get charged the lowest fare. I don't think a genealogy website ever gets that many visits... 

Hello ! I chose not to use any more  Google maps, because I do not understand very well the conditions when you get billed or not. With Google, you MUST give your bank details beforehand without knowing exactly when you are going to pay.

Suppose your site gets attacked by spammer robots, I am sure you will reach the paying line within the hour.

I am aware that the main problem with OSM is the automatic feature for geolocation. The tab still exist with OSM, when using the places merge function. But it gives only a list of places without geolocation. I do not wait long before making my geolocations manually, say, every week. So, it's not a too long task.

11 minutes ago, Katryne said:

Hello ! I chose not to use any more  Google maps, because I do not understand very well the conditions when you get billed or not. With Google, you MUST give your bank details beforehand without knowing exactly when you are going to pay.

Suppose your site gets attacked by spammer robots, I am sure you will reach the paying line within the hour.

I am aware that the main problem with OSM is the automatic feature for geolocation. The tab still exist with OSM, when using the places merge function. But it gives only a list of places without geolocation. I do not wait long before making my geolocations manually, say, every week. So, it's not a too long task.

The conditions are clearly explained on the website. Google already has my bank details as I use GooglePlay store on my phone for apps, and my Google account is linked to PayPal and other services. I don't care if they have my credit card numbers. They can't take anything out without my consent anyway.

My website is protected against spam bots. Even when there are too many connections in too short a time, the website is closed automatically for a certain time or until I put it back online.

I find that blind hate against Google and other companies often counteracts reason. "It's Google so it must be bad and they must have bad intentions", driven so far as to promote an inferior product with the sole purpose of not using Google because of suppositions and wrong information...

Sorry if I appear a bit harsh :) but I like most Google products (though they are far from perfect) and find it sad that so many "conspiracy theories" try to blemish them in favour of often inferior products...

So, if you like Google products, I understand that it is perfect for you. And I accept your opinion. Please will you be so kind as accepting my opinion. I never said that Google is evil, I said that I do not think it is fitted for my own personnal use. OK ?

I do accept everyone's opinion. I'm merely pointing out wrong assumptions like the fact that "you have to pay to use google". In general, not to you.