TNG Community

//do children - show sex

Janos Dibusz

On 9/3/2017 at 8:07 AM, Janos Dibusz said:

Ok Ron, I wait for you. 

Janos, here is modified Add Parent Children mod which places the gender symbol  before the name, and also aligns for >10 children. As noted, I do not use this mod, but rather I use the Add Siblings Mod. See below.  Change is necessary if you want gender placed behind the name, but this is a start. No personID added to this like the Family Edit Links mod at this time.

Note that #4 child is not highlighted because this is #4's individual page already displayed.

2017-09-03_19-39-29.jpg

And here's the cfg file.

(if interested, send me a PM).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tngrlkrz

• Janos Dibusz

• klooster

• bhemph

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Decided to add the gender symbol to one more Mod I use: the Add Person Siblings Row mod.  Essentially the same changes here as to the Add Parents Children Row mod.No personID added  like the Family Edit Links mod at this time.

2017-09-03_20-37-55.jpg

And the cfg file.

add_person_siblings_row_v10.1.0.2M.cfg (if interested, please send me a PM).

On 3/9/2017 at 8:49 PM, tngrlkrz said:

Janos, here is modified Add Parent Children mod which places the gender symbol  before the name, and also aligns for >10 children. As noted, I do not use this mod, but rather I use the Add Siblings Mod. See below.  Change is necessary if you want gender placed behind the name, but this is a start. No personID added to this like the Family Edit Links mod at this time.

Note that #4 child is not highlighted because this is #4's individual page already displayed.

2017-09-03_19-39-29.jpg

And here's the cfg file.

Thank you very mutch.

I change this line: $kidspc="";if ($prntchildcount < 10) {$kidspc="&nbsp;&nbsp";}

To this:                   $kidspc="";if ($prntchildcount < 10) {$kidspc="&nbsp;&nbsp;0";}

So now have "0" also.

Edited by theKiwi
Removed link to .cfg file

On 3/9/2017 at 10:03 PM, tngrlkrz said:

Decided to add the gender symbol to one more Mod I use: the Add Person Siblings Row mod.  Essentially the same changes here as to the Add Parents Children Row mod.No personID added  like the Family Edit Links mod at this time.

2017-09-03_20-37-55.jpg

And the cfg file.

Thank you. Nice job.

Edited by theKiwi
Removed link to .cfg file

5 hours ago, Janos Dibusz said:

Thank you very mutch.

I change this line: $kidspc="";if ($prntchildcount < 10) {$kidspc="&nbsp;&nbsp";}

To this:                   $kidspc="";if ($prntchildcount < 10) {$kidspc="&nbsp;&nbsp;0";}

So now have "0" also.

Or you could just take out the '&nbsp' as well, I think.  Glad you can use it.

So do you use both Siblings and Parent Children? They are a bit redundant, IMO.

Ron

Just a word of caution for any folks using both the new "Insert Children Gender" mod and the "Family Edit Links" mod at the same time. 

The issue is with the living children if you have Display Living/Private indicator set to yes for the "Family Edit Links" mod. 

Note: I removed dates on all images to protect the living and I also have the Living Color mod installed, hence the blue names.

I installed the "insert_children_gender" V11.1.0.0 mod into my TNG 11.1.1 offline site and all appeared just fine untill later in the day yesterday when I eventually looked at a living person.

The 1 before mod (Before Mod installed) image shows the red L after the name and lines under the blue names and the names are able to be clicked on. 

The 2 after mod (After Mod installed) image shows an extra red L is added next to the gender icon and I loose the ability to click on living children.

The 3 after mod (After Mod installed) image shows a family containing both living and deceased children and the deceased child is fine, I can click on him, but the living children are an issue as described above.

Turning off the Display Living/Private indicator in the Family Edit Links mod fixed this problem.

I also tried Ron's modified family_edit_links_v11.0.0.1M.cfg mod and everything works just fine with this as well.

Conclusion, if you are going to use both the "Insert Children Gender" mod and the "Family Edit Links" mod then you will have to set the Display Living/Private indicators option to no in Admin/Mod Manager/Family Edit Links.

That said, I have never actually liked the red L showing, especially since I use the Living Color mod, was a bit redundant, but I was not aware of the fact you could easily turn it off, and I only figured that out from a couple of the images posted in this thread, as they clearly did not have the red L. 

Just posting this for reference for others who might have the red L or Display Living/Private indicator set to yes and they discover this problem. 

Thanks to all for the mod and enhancements.

1 Before Mod.jpg

2 after mod.jpg

3 after mod living and deceased.jpg

Thanks for pointing out that issue, Jim.  

I too use the Living Color Mod and do not display the living/private flag, so hadn't notice the effect you mention. I also 'initialize' all names to guest users as well.   Needless to say, all the Mods I tinkered with were released on an 'as is' , unpublished basis for each persons preference and support.  I only posted them in response to the OP's request for gender display, and it sort of evolved into related items such as displaying personID's, alignment, add siblings, add parents children mods, etc. All the functions I need work OK.

That said, the issue can be fixed, but I have no timeline on that.

Also, as mentioned earlier with these altered or new Mods, that sequencing of installation can become a important; it was in my case because of many other personal Mods I deploy.  Caution and backups (and a local Wamp  'crash and burn' server) are really necessity (at least they are for me).

Jim, took a quick look and the LP flag is not even functional on my pristine test system with just the Family Edit Links (M) installed;i.e., the red 'L' does not display at all, even with that mod option set.  So surprised you're seeing two of them.  I have no other Mods installed on the testbed.  The other item of note is that the Family Edit Links should always be installed before the Insert Children Gender or mod mgr errors will result.

Also, for alignment,  the leading zero has later been replaced by a space, thanks to Brent Hempf.  Your version may not have that.

Ron

Ron, I assume by (M) you mean your modified Family Edit Links. 

I only tested your Family Edit Links modified version lastly after the core issue was resolved to see if I liked it more but decided to stick with the core mod since the red L issue is now resolved. I did not try activating the living flag red L in your modified version as I dislike that as I said earlier. 

I only noticed the red L aspect in the Family Edit Links v11.0.0.1 mod because that was the mod I had installed when the issue became apparent and now that I know I can disable it, all is well in the TNG world again.

Yes, I did incorporate Brent's leading zero, space fix, but that was after the images were created and after I had resolved what was causing the problem in the first place. I installed your insert_children_gender v11.1.0.0.cfg last, each time I installed it. 

I now have insert_children_gender V11.1.0.0b.cfg installed and the b is because I incorporated Brent's fix into your core insert_children_gender v11.1.0.0.cfg file.

I just wanted to point out this red L issue in case others use the red L and because I could not remember which mod was placing that on the page in the first place, so it was a process of illimitation removing my 57 mods, one by one, to find the guilty culprit and because in all images posted on this thread I noticed no living people.

Thanks again to all for the mod's and enhancements.

Jim, Thanks again for the detailed explanation.

Just a reminder that any lines of code  coming out of this thread remain unpublished. Anything I suffix with an 'M' in the cfg filename can of course  no longer be supported by the original author on Wiki.  I only keep them in Mod form for ease of  folks  installing and testing them.  You mention 57; interesting because I have 58 published mods installed, with 50% of those altered a bit, and a humongous ~800+ line private mod to boot.  Of the 58, 10 have installation sequence requirements which have to be adhered to if conflicts/errors are to be avoided.  So, whenever I make changes, or TNG is updated, lots of integration testing is required, that's the downside of so much modification of TNG. But it's fun when it all works!.

While it is great to use the forum to test new mods, hopefully mods like this one will continue to be published on the TNG Wiki as the method of sharing mods with others.  I initially downloaded one of the attached versions earlier today but saw a conflict with the L living indicator provided by one of Jeff's mod, so I uninstalled it because I don't have the time to deal with it at the moment, having just returned from over 2 months in Maine.

Interesting that you have so many installation sequence requirements in your mods, since I think I have only a couple in over 150 mods on my system, but then I typically do not modify published user mods.

Thanks for the comments Ken.  I really wasn't using the forum to test, merely providing help to the thread OP, no more than that was intended, though it occurred to me I wished the same enhancement as well.  Then along the way in the thread, a request about the look and gender symbol alignment ensued, and that led to some additional related mods being looked at. There was very active participation in the thread which I admit was very thought inspiring which is part of what the forum provides: ideas and solutions. 

As to publishing, one involved only 1 line of code initially,  and didn't warrant that.  Then the other two mods I displayed, again  involving only a couple lines of changes to published Mods,  and up to the author's discretion whether to eventually add to their Mod,  I just wanted to share the enhancement which I felt  was complementary to the initial mod. I guess I could have just posted the lines of code and not in mod format but I wanted to make it easy for users to install and test and reduce tng errors enabling them.

I emphasized caution and disclaimers with everything I posted since  obviously I did not test for every setting and environment. Perhaps  I should have  messaged requestors privately, since I think you've advised that in the past. That way casual readers will not be troubled with an undiscovered issue.   I just wished to share with others who jumped into the evolving thread.  

Also, on another note, as you may have noticed on the tngusers2 list,  I was blocked during a reply on this thread which contained innocent code.  It happened Friday afternoon, and persisted until Sunday at which time Gustave (I believe) finally unblocked some low level server security level block which even Roger Moffat and Darrin could do nothing about.  I believe it was because of code containing the tng variable with gender 'sex' within it; I really don't know.  No one else posting was blocked like I was.  But it was the first time in over 10 years that this has happened to me.

Sorry, there was no intent to cause anybody difficulty, only to help others and learn from them as well.

Ron

Ron,

My comment about publishing mods was not aimed at you.  I hope we don't regress the mods back to the TNG Forum like they were 12 years ago.  Even a single line of code change that is shared between multiple users who want to change TNG should be published in the TNG Mods for v11 section of the TNG Wiki.

I have no problem with discussing the changes on the forum.  I just don't want to see mods propagated through the forum since they are harder to track or find on the forum than on the TNG Wiki in the appropriate category.

Ken,

OK, given what you pointed out, I can see how that might be a better approach for a  new TNG enhancement wherein an author maintains them on the TNG Wiki, and continues to do so as an issue might pop up with one of the many other mods posted there.  But not sure how we share an option or enhancement to an existing TNG Wiki Mod in an expedient manner. Do we contact the author,  hope a response is received (some authors don't or unable to respond), and then wait for the author to accept/reject that change and include it?  This thread was a good example of several members sharing solutions and options immediately.  I don't wish to lose that dynamic interaction which makes this forum so vibrant. 

That said, thanks for the invaluable contributions you've made to many on this forum and in maintaining the TNG Wiki.  

Ron

With one minor exception, the compatibility issue noted between the Insert Children Gender (unpublished mod) and Family Edit Links (both the original and unpublished version) has been resolved.  Specifically, the 'L' living indicator now properly displays if that option is set, as well as the hyperlinked name. Also, there is no restriction on installation sequence.    The Living Color Mod is compatible as well.

The exception is the the red 'L'  is missing from the top of page, beneath the Name Header for living persons. Haven't worked that out yet.

Due to the unpublished nature of these changes, it has been advised that I not post them here, but anyone interested can private message me.  I believe the forum moderator  someone may had deleted a prior cfg file post.

Ron 

Ron,

I think you misunderstood my request, which was that we do not start publishing mods using the forum.  I have no problem with using the forum to develop and test mods.  I just ask that once a mod is ready for publication and support that it be done on the TNG Wiki and that we do not regress the process to the way it was prior to the wiki.

I don't believe the prior versions of your cfg files have been deleted.  At least I see them when I go to the previous page of discussions.  By the way, I am not a forum moderator. 

Ken,

Sorry if I misunderstood and thanks for the explanation. This file family_edit_links_v11.0.0.1M.cfg for some reason cannot be located,  perhaps someone with Wiki edit rights may have deleted it.  But no matter, going forward, I've decided to describe these type changes on the forum, but make them available only through PM.

Still not sure how one would publish code which might involve changes to one or more published Mods though.

5 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Ken,

Sorry if I misunderstood and thanks for the explanation. This file family_edit_links_v11.0.0.1M.cfg for some reason cannot be located,  perhaps someone with Wiki edit rights may have deleted it.  But no matter, going forward, I've decided to describe these type changes on the forum, but make them available only through PM.

Still not sure how one would publish code which might involve changes to one or more published Mods though.

I am one of the forum moderators and I have not deleted any of the .cfg files, so not sure what happened - the other moderators are Darrin who actually is rarely here, and Gustave who owns this forum (it runs on his server).

But I do agree that this is not the best place to post continuously updated versions of .cfg files in message posts here without at least going back and deleting the previous versions, as that will only confuse people reading the thread through from the beginning at some future time.

Roger

5 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

But no matter, going forward, I've decided to describe these type changes on the forum, but make them available only through PM.

Hopefully, when the dust settles, the mod or mods will be published on the TNG Wiki.

In regards to making changes to someone else's mods, the courteous approach would be to contact the mod developer and ask that an option be added to their mod to support the required change.

2 hours ago, theKiwi said:

I am one of the forum moderators and I have not deleted any of the .cfg files, so not sure what happened - the other moderators are Darrin who actually is rarely here, and Gustave who owns this forum (it runs on his server).

But I do agree that this is not the best place to post continuously updated versions of .cfg files in message posts here without at least going back and deleting the previous versions, as that will only confuse people reading the thread through from the beginning at some future time.

Roger

Thanks. Have  deleted my prior cfg posts in this thread, asking folks  PM me if interested.  However, I cannot delete links from other folks links in this thread.  Perhaps you could do that Roger?

In regards to making changes to someone else's mods, the courteous approach would be to contact the mod developer and ask that an option be added to their mod to support the required change.

Luckily, all changes involve Mods written by one author, Jeff Robison.  So I will be contacting him since he's best suited to consider incorporating these changes as an option (and can do it much more efficiently than my tinkering). Anyone interested in the code before then can PM me.

All involve the person / individual page sections for the person's children, the person's parent's children and/or the person's siblings, enabling insertion of the gender symbol and better alignment of the >10 rows in those sections.

Ron

6 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Thanks. Have  deleted my prior cfg posts in this thread, asking folks  PM me if interested.  However, I cannot delete links from other folks links in this thread.  Perhaps you could do that Roger?

I've removed the links from all the posts I could find that were quoting your posts.

Roger

Thanks Roger, 

I don't wish to step on any toes, especially an excellent Mod maker such as Jeff Robison.

The author of the original published Mods (which were altered for gender insert) has been contacted.  I will no longer be responding to any PM requests for my changes (except the Insert Children Gender, which is my unpublished cfg file), unless advised other wise by Jeff Robison.

Ron