TNG Community

How to add a link to template 13

jefflev

Hello, I am using version 10.1.3 template 13 and I installed a forum and now I need to link to the newly created forum, that's where I become lost. I would like to add the word "FORUM" across the top beside where "Dad's Side" & "Mom's Side" links are  located. I would like for the link to match those two links as those are blue in color and turn white with mouse over. Could someone with this knowledge lend me a helping hand? My website is located at http://leverette-family-history.us/index.php as you can see I have a link to my Guestbook and Forum in the Welcome section but I am not happy with that. I would like to move the guestbook link to the top as well. Any help you guys/gals can offer me will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Jeff

This works in TNG 11.1.1, I think TNG 10.1.3 is the same. You add these lines to 2 files for template13. Retain copy of the original files (always).

In templates/template13/topmenu.php AND in templates/template13/index.php

after:

<a href="<?php echo $cms['tngpath']; ?>pedigree.php?personID=<?php echo $tmp['t13_momperson']; ?>&amp;tree=<?php echo $tmp['t13_momtree']; ?>"><span class="l"></span><span class="r"></span><span class="t"><?php echo getTemplateMessage('t13_momside'); ?></span></a>
                        </li>

add:

<li>
           <a href="<?php echo $cms['tngpath']; ?>forum/"><span class="l"></span><span class="r"></span><span class="t"><?php echo "Forum"; ?></span></a>
                         </li>

NOTE: I don't use the TNG forum software on my site, so I'm just guessing that the Forum is called by forum/ folder.  In  my test for I used a php script (e.g., whatsnew.php).  You may have to change the procedure call of forum/, I'm not sure.

Ron

Thanks for your help Ron but let me clarify, I tried using the TNG Forum mod but it broke my site so I'm using a downloaded forum software powered by MYLittleForum software plus I'm using Lazarus guestbook software. I did add the code to both the topmenu.php and index.php as per your instructions and that's exactly what I want. Now I need to link with my forum url which is http://leverette-family-history.us/forum/, can you explain that for me?

Thanks

Jeff

Did you copy the lines as in my post? Hovering over the homepage FORUM link, looks like you've got forum.php for the link, that will not work, but as I explained,  instead it should simply be  forum/  (note:with the slash).

Ron

p.s.- if the TNG forum mod broke your system, did you report it to the author? If you have an unmodified system it should work 'out of the box', at least the released vs. the beta version.

Thanks again Ron, you were right I had forum.php in the code instead of forum/ and when I corrected the mistake it works fine now.

And to answer your P.S., no I didn't report it to the author because with my limited (down right noobish) knowledge I just assumed I made a mistake. 

Thanks again for your help!

Jeff

I decided to try reinstalling the TNG Forum mod again and I'm happy to announce complete success this time. You know what they say "if all else fails, read the instructions" which turned out to be my case. So I got rid of the embedded forum software and will use the TNG Forum mod instead. Much better with just a single login! Again, many thanks go out to Ron and the developer of the TNG Forum mod.

Jeff