TNG Community

Using WP + TNG with NO plugins

ladykat

Building a Genealogy website with TNG and Wordpress
                                                                with no plugin and keeping the TNG Template Style

TNG The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding© ("TNG") is a powerful way to manage and display your family tree on your own website, all without generating any static HTML. Instead, your information is stored in a database and the pages are created on demand. All you need is a website and TNG!

How I combined my TNG and Wordpress

•  Install WordPress in the root folder of the website - I used a theme called "Emotions Lite" but any theme with sections for headers and footers will work.
  •  Install TNG in a sub-root folder. Any name will do. I used Template 12 for my website
  • -------- NOTE: In my setup TNG and WordPress share the same database which loads faster. They can be in two separate databases.
  • In the FPT program make a copy of the TNG template directory you like the best renaming it to something you prefer.  Any name works  
    • NOTE: This way when you update your files do not get over written.
  • Make 3 files in your New TNG Template folder —>
    •  WP-TNG-topmenu.php
      • <code>  <?php  require ("../wp-load.php");  get_header ();   ?></code>
    •  WP-TNG-footer.php
      • <code>  <?php  get_sidebar ();   get_footer (); ?> </code>
      • or <code>  <?php  get_footer (); ?> </code>   (this one does not use the sidebar)
    •  WP-TNG-meta.php
      • <code>  <?php   global $cms;  ?>  <link href="<?php echo $cms['tngpath']; ?>  css/mytngstyle.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>  </code> 
        • NOTE: code lines are optional, but will help in future stylings.
  • In Admin>> Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings>> Site Design and Definition > edit fields under custom header, footer & meta use the files names from above.
  •  In Admin>> Setup >> Configuration >> Template Settings >> Selection your NEW Template.
  • add as many links to the TNG pages in your WP menus.

Notes:

• WP & TNG have seperate logins.  (I do not allow users for my WP, except for myself)
  • No change to the core file’s of TNG. (just added Template Directory)
  • No change to the core file’s of WordPress and TNG.
  • Displays TNG within WordPress with no iFrames.
  • WP themes can override the TNG so picking a theme that does the least changes in the content section is best. The theme called “Emotions Lite” the Underlining links is gone in TNG and some charts have a miss-a-line issue. I changed the WP theme to a less fancy (less style options) theme and the charts did not have a miss-a-line issue.

Note in Styles: Some WP Themes can give conflicts to the pedigree layout. In the theme I used called “Emotions Lite” the wording/boxes were not lining up. I added the code below into the WP custom css which did not make it perfect but did make it a lot better.

table {
margin: -5px 0 0 0;
width: 100%;
}

Most WP themes remove underlining in the links and use Hovering instead.

to put the underline back (which will add it to both WP and TNG areas) with the code below added to your WP Theme Custom CSS

a:link {
text-decoration: underline;
}

Remember with WP themes sometimes Less is More.

ladykat,

Thanks very much for documenting your integration of WordPress and TNG.  If I ever have the inclination to do include WordPress, your reference will prove useful.  

Ron

WP themes can override the TNG so picking a theme that does the least changes in the content section is best.

The theme called “Emotions Lite” the Underlining links is gone in TNG and some charts have a miss-a-line issue.

I changed the WP theme to a less fancy (less style options) theme and the charts did not have a miss-a-line issue.

Most WP themes remove underlining in the links and use Hovering instead.  

to put the underline back (which will add it to both WP and TNG areas) with the code below added to your WP Theme Custom CSS

a:link {
    text-decoration: underline;
}

9 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

I have added an info box at the top of the TNG Wiki page indicating that WP and TNG Integration without plugins is the Cees Kloosterman method.

Ken,

The info box seems to have been removed, or at least I cannot find it.

Ron

1. Yes the info box is gone !
  2. It took me a lot of work to find a solution for the WP-TNG integration without a plugin and to write the page with the all the info and the install explenation and help. Almost the whole text in the WIKI page is just copied form my website  without asking me.
  3. I have no problem with everyone using my method for free, but  Ithink it would no more than normal than to get the credit for it at the head of the WIKI article,

1. Besides that the link at the foot of the articke states: 

Cees Kloosterman's Similar WP and TNG Integration Method

This is also not correct, it is not a "similar" method, but the "original" method.

• To whoever wrote the WIKI page, the page should start with:

-------------------------------

The method below described is a short version of the original article about integrating Wordpress and TNG written by Cees Kloosterman.

If you want tot read the full article with all the background information, full install help and a  troubleshooting section go to:

How I made my TNG and WP website.

----------------------------------------------

"Give honor where honor is due"

Kloosterman

Darrin asked me to post my version which I have removed so you can post yours on the Wiki

Yes many of us have been working for years in CMS intergrations with WP and we all have been posting pieces and parts on the forums. and each year and each upgrade the intergrations have gotten better and more refined and similar.  I personally have used 6 versions of intergrations, which I have shown Darrin over the years and this was the first time he asked me to post one.

Yes mine was similar to your and yes I liked the way you wrote yours up used some of your wording and I even changed some of my orginal file namings to match yours as yours was less complicated and more precise and yes I asked them to add a link to yours.  Yes I asked them to reword the info box to not mislead the readers into thinking it was the exact same intergration and yes I removed the box as I got no answer after many hours and yes I was still editting the wiki page.  (p.s. I was new at adding wiki pages)

but after all the hassles of explaining exact and simlair, I give up

So post yours and let it be done.

P.S. I am really curious why you never added your version to wiki before this?

Ladykat,

Very helpful explanation of events.  It would seem both you  and Cees Kloosterman have done a lot of work on developing and documenting the integration.  It's unfortunate that some wording could not have been employed to save the Wiki aritcle which would have satisfied both of you and helped potential users benefit from the work of both of you, however similar or exact.

Ron

I will restore the wiki page and suggest that Cees and Kathleen agree on some of the content.  Both methods appear similar so it is understandable that Cees would consider it was created from his method, especially if some of his wording and his file names were used.

I edited the page which also includes the external link to his giving him credit too but it also shows that the methods are similar but not exact. 

It was never my intention to NOT credit him.  At the time I was adding the page I did not know the proper code to add related links like the other pages then someone help me out while I was editting the page to add his related link.  By the way, thank you to that person.

It was the Info link that someone added that made it sound like the methods were exact that I had a problem with, as the readers might not understand that they are differant.

I still think Cees should add his method on the wiki as well for the users because as far as I can tell his method has never been added or linked anywhere on the wiki before today.

Someone changed my new Intro again.

I am getting fedup with this discussion.

• Here is where it is all about:

This is from the WIKI page

WP-TNG-topmenu.php
<code>  <?php  require (../wp-load.php”);  get_header ();   ?></code>
 WP-TNG-footer.php
<code>  <?php  get_sidebar ();   get_footer (); ?> </code>
or <code>  <?php  get_footer (); ?> </code>   (this one does not use the sidebar)
 WP-TNG-meta.php
<code>  <?php   global $cms;  ?>  <link href=”<?php echo $cms[‘tngpath’]; ?>  css/mytngstyle.css” rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css”/>  </code> 

• Anyone who can read will see for themselves that this is an exact copy of "How to Integrate WP and TNG" from my site:

How I made my TNG and WP website.

Klooster,

Please stop and look again.  They are differant and NOT an exact copy.  

The files you posted about do not even go into the same folder as you stated on your method.

Yes the codes are similar only because the orginal programs demands the use of that coding,  which if your are being TECHINCAL Darrin Owner of TNG and the Wordpress team wrote it first.

You DO NOT use a TNG Template and I DO.

I will not go on about the differances because your not listening anyway.

The Wiki page had already given you credit in the related links for a Simliar Method but that was not good enough for you.  You had to be in on top in everyones face and CONFUSING the readers by tell them it is EXACT.   It is NOT EXACT.

I was even willing to and did remove my whole method, so you could add yours instead because I did not want to argue with you, but you you for whatever reason are not willing to do that. And then someone reposted mine back again with the wrong and misleading information.

Yes I believe in giving credit where credit is due (which was given in the proper place to start with), but demaining credit for the whole thing is down right rude.  And not to mention misleading to future readers.

P.S. to all the other readers of this thread,  I am sorry if I have offend anyone.  Normally I do not post publicly on forums because differances of OPINIONS can get heated.

• 1 month later...

For Ladykat and other WP enthusiasts:
As a long retired software/integration engineer and genealogy curator, I've explored this area of CMS + TNG for a good-long while now.   I think I may have tried to get Darrin's attention with PHPNuke of all things!!!   Then my passion was for Joomla, etc.   I'm evolved into a WP "bigot" so no conflict with your mindset!

The methods of Integrating the two (WP + TNG) without plugins for WP is excellent and I'm going to rebuild my own family site with the processes outlined in these forums.

The only thing that seems to be less than "WP best practices" is there isn't any obvious reference to using a CHILD THEME for the WP side of an implementation.

Customizing for underlining or whatever a WP theme "breaks" on the TNG side will survive any number of theme updates/upgrades IF and only if a child theme is used.  It does add a small level of initial complexity, that is true, but like so many elements of building/maintaining modern web-infrastructure, it is well-worth the learning curve, IMHO.

Thanks to all who have shared and care about this unique topic!
Dave
San Antonio, TX