TNG Community

Import GEDCOM referencing to media: freeze

mjaro

I’ve installed the new TNG v11.0 and started importing GEDCOM file from a server directory (my hoster company name is 1and1)

If “Import media if present” is checked - import stops (freezes) at the first record referencing to a media (independent on any other import options) without any message.

This is independent on the record type (INDI, FAM, SOUR, …) and type of media file referenced (jpg, gif,…)

Media records in my GEDCOM file: Always “level 1” (i.e., inside of a “level 0” record). Only filename (no path). No mediatype defined. Always like this:

1 OBJE

2 FILE mja.jpg

3 FORM jpg

I successfully use TNG and import GEDCOMs for years.

I would try debugging more deep, but need help or advice for this (which files are involved? php or js?). Any guidance appreciated.

mjaro

I had a similar experience with TNG 11 freezing in my first gedcom import.  Darrin found a bug in gedimport_misc.php and sent a patched file (attached) which worked great.  It is in the root TNG directory/folder. It did have to do with media file handling in my case as well.  Give it a try.

TNG 11.0.0   http://www.kmtrees.com wampserver 2.5,legacy 7.5,  family historian 6.1.4

gedimport_misc.php

Thank you tngrlkrz!

I tried that patched php - no difference :(

Another strange behaviour is the progress reported during import *without importing media*: progress bar (and listing when "old style" checked) doesn't go not smooth but in a few big jumps.

Hmm,   I really thought it would work for you.  My progress bar, when it failed, proceeded about midway, then just froze.  I would contact Darrin directly at this point.  You've got solid evidence of the pattern of failure that he'd be able to diagnose the problem.

Ron

TNG 11.0.0   http://www.kmtrees.com wampserver 2.5,legacy 7.5,  family historian 6.1.4

Import problem solved! New TNG v11.01 solved freezing.

I still have minor problem with progress bar. It ignores import parameters, and jumps every ~8 thousand of 0-level entries.

Could you indicate the solution?  You likely know by now that Darrin just released TNG update 11.0.1 which includes various changes to getimport_misc.php.  I will be retesting import with that file, since Darrin added more changes beyond what was fixed for my situtation.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted Darrin, as you suggested. Then he tested very fast my case, and added some more patches to getimport_misc.php - that solved all gedcom+media import problems I observed (freezing, as described above, and also no-linking to the new media referenced inside gedcom).

Thanks Ron for your advice!

mjaro