TNG Community
Nigel Reed

Handling unrelated data

Nigel Reed

Not so much a genealogy question, but related to keeping notes and following research you have found that you cannot directly relate to your tree.

For example, I found a death announcement for a name in my tree, but the dates don't match up, so I think the person may be a wife or child of another member of the family which has not been found.

So I have taken a copy of the snippet from the newspaper article, but how do you go about tracking these bits of articles and unrelated research?

I'm not sure about creating new family members in TNG but just having them floating around, and I don't want to forget or lose the information, so I'm interested to hear how other people handle such details.

Thanks,

Nigel

DelG

Not so much a genealogy question, but related to keeping notes and following research you have found that you cannot directly relate to your tree.

For example, I found a death announcement for a name in my tree, but the dates don't match up, so I think the person may be a wife or child of another member of the family which has not been found.

So I have taken a copy of the snippet from the newspaper article, but how do you go about tracking these bits of articles and unrelated research?

I'm not sure about creating new family members in TNG but just having them floating around, and I don't want to forget or lose the information, so I'm interested to hear how other people handle such details.

Thanks,

Nigel

I use general genealogical research folders (on my computer) and more specific surname folders [which are further sub-categorized to include such topics as: Birth, Census, Death, Gedcoms, Land, Marriage, Military, Research, Wills, etc]. In response to your question, within /surname/research I maintain items of interest (such as documents of potential relatives) which I periodically review.

I use the old PAF program which has a minor comments section for individuals but doesn't have the capability of keeping general research notes - I've heard that some genealogical programs may have such a capability, as well as a research to-do list function, and you might consider looking at those programs.

It occurs to me that one could create a 'research' gedcom file of such potential relatives [with attendant notes] which you would review periodically and move into your live gedcom should you later discover a connection.