TNG Community

Review Data in database as GEDCOM import did

Thierry

Hello,

I'm Thierry From Bordeaux (France) and i'm so please to use TNG :-).

For a family project i'd like to get a working solution with delegation of data entry to each family of a branch.

I discover the TNGAPI that produce a nice form.

The idea is to complete this form and fullfill the TNG database but force admin review of each data.

I see a table for reviews entry, but it seems only working with gedcom. Does someone get any tips to make it work with a database import and force admin review for this data ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Hello,

I'm Thierry From Bordeaux (France) and i'm so please to use TNG :-).

For a family project i'd like to get a working solution with delegation of data entry to each family of a branch.

The idea is to complete this form and fullfill the TNG database but force admin review of each data.

I see a table for reviews entry, but it seems only working with gedcom. Does someone get any tips to make it work with a database import and force admin review for this data ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Thierry,

Hello distant cousin!

(Thierry is my 6th cousin by our mutual 5th Great Grandfather Jean Pierre RUPPERT (1742-1829) of Oberdonven, Luxembourg )

I have used TNG for many years. It is not really designed for use as a collaborative database.

But there are some ways that you can make some things work.

On my site, www.1familytree.com all of the data is sent to me and I add it.

Supposedly, the MOD add on for Family Group Sheets will store the data the user entered and transfer it to the database after Admin approval. But that has not been released yet.

You could Divide the Database into separate 'trees' but you will end up with lots of duplication because any one person can only be part of 1 tree. (you can use the same name and info as part of a different tree, but that person would have a different ID number)

I am sure others here will reply with how they may use TNG as a collaborative effort.

Hope all is well with you (And Happy Birthday - Yesterday!)

Best ,

Jay

Hi Thierry.

I thought that I would clarify that TngApi is a plugin for Wordpress. As you say, it produces a simple form for displaying and updating data.

At the moment,

it does not update database with changes. An email is sent to the administrator instead.

It does not recognize branches.

Above is on my To-Do-List.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Hello,

Let me clarify too :-).

My question is not about tng-api but about the review process like gedcom import. I'd like to understand the gedcom import to clone the process for inserting data into database.

Regards

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

tng-api and tng-wordpress-plugin combined let a user to only access his family part. So no needed of complex databases here. I think we could reuse TNG behaviour with little knowledges.

Hope someone could explain me how to clone the Gedcom import process to adapt it on database import.

Regards

You could Divide the Database into separate 'trees' but you will end up with lots of duplication because any one person can only be part of 1 tree. (you can use the same name and info as part of a different tree, but that person would have a different ID number)

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

tng-api and tng-wordpress-plugin combined let a user to only access his family part. So no needed of complex databases here. I think we could reuse TNG behaviour with little knowledges.

Hope someone could explain me how to clone the Gedcom import process to adapt it on database import.

Regards

Thierry,

I am not sure I understand what you want to do?

The Gedcom Import is what is used to add data to a database.

TNG database has been setup to handle/manage the items that are imported.

You can have more that one tree in a database and you can import into a specific tree or even a specific "branch" (section of a tree)

The actual process of the import that converts the data from the text gedcom file into the database is TNG's copyrighted code and is MASSIVELY COMPLEX.

Maybe a better explanation of what you want to do would help me understand.

Take a look around on my site at www.1familytree.com/genealogy/index.php

you can use login = 1familytreeguest and pw = 1FamilyTreeGuest1

Your 3rd great Grandfather can be found at this page;

http://www.1familytree.com/genealogy/getpe...ree=1FamilyTree

Hope that helps,

Jay

Hello Jay,

Thanks for your link sharing i will see it.

I try to explain better :-):

Today i use tng-api. When a user is connected, tng-api retrieve is data an enable completion or update of the data, than send a mail with all the information. Insteed of sending a mail, i'd like to insert this data into TNG database.

I discover the gedcom import and this mechanism of reviewing data. I'd like to implement the same with data from this tng-api form. (import data and let's admin review this data). The goal is to use existing TNG process.

Does it more clear now ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Thierry,

Sorry, it is still not clear to me.

Emailing of changes is not a function of an integrated tng-wp but is a tng function of the edit procedure.

If you are simply allowing the user to edit and update any info, then all you need to do is change the users rights.

If you want the Admin to approve any changes, then the only way currently is for the Admin to reenter any data, (or approve the temp change data on many fields)

It is my understanding that at some time in the future the Family Group Sheets, will allow persons to add or edit data onto the Family Group Sheet and then once approved by the Admin, that data would be added to the TNG database. But you would need to check with the Mod creator to see how far away that feature would be.

I had suggested many years ago that one way to have some ADmin control of Users' edits, would be to save all the Users changes or edits during their "session" and once the session is closed tng would created a small gedcom of that data , which in turn after Admin Approval would be added to the TNG database.

But the process doesnt have much support as tng is not really considered to be a "collaboration" database.

Hello,

i thing you miss :

Today i use tng-api. When a user is connected, tng-api retrieve is data an enable completion or update of the data, than send a mail with all the information. Insteed of sending a mail, i'd like to insert this data into TNG database.

Emailling changes is a feature of TNG API. I'd like to use this as basis to insert data into database for admin reviewing.

Do you have any idea how to do a mini gedcom import ?

Another thought occurred to me....

Are you talking about the TNG-wp User REGISTRATION process?

Thats where the data about the new user's connection to a related person is defined by the new user giving any names and dates that would be required to link them into an existing person?

IF SO, that data is stored in a table that could be added to the database, but it would take a better qualified person that myself to write that code. I would also have to look at that "TNG-WP Registration Plug-in" to see what Heather has changed from when she originally adapted my registration process to that wp plugin.

Sorry that understanding what you need is difficult, but there are many pieces to TNG and without specific examples , or URL's or screen shots, it's hard to know what you refer to.

Best Regards,

Jay

What is a "mini" gedcom?

There is only one way to import a gedcom, and thats thru the Admin panel

Getting data from a "form" to be constructed as a "proper" gedcom file is NOT easy.

The problem with TNG : the non existence of a true library with functions you could call, no true class to call objects.

So any customisation outside TNG become so difficult :-(

Thanks for you reply.

Regards,

Maybe you need to review these files

You can open them in Notepad+ or other text editor

There are functions defined. But genealogy data is a very complex process as there are so many considerations of Families (spouse or child of parents) date formats, equating fields to the correct placement within a TNG database.

etc., etc. etc.

But review the genlib.php, personlib.php and globallib.php