TNG Community

Bad Bot: clients.your-server.de

MadRanger

Good afternoon,

For months users of "clients.your-server.de" have been the dominant user to the point where I suspected it was a BOT or other nefarious actor. I have blocked their listed "static" IPs to no effect.

SpambotSecurity.com ran a lengthy exchange with the alleged host with a conclusion: "Personal opinion here, allowing known anon proxy servers that do not identify themselves in the user agent, is just opening the door to a happy hacker to use that system with impunity. That's why *server.de got the boot. Both of them have registered attacks, and neither respond to abuse@."

Would someone be so kind as to provide details as to how to add that server/host to the robots.txt file in the format I copied from Jay? My efforts to date have generated a 500 error.

generated a 500 error.

User-agent: ASPseek/1.2.10

Disallow: /

User-agent: asterias

Disallow: /

Thanks in advance,

Regis

www.CarrFamilyTree.com

Good afternoon,

For months users of "clients.your-server.de" have been the dominant user to the point where I suspected it was a BOT or other nefarious actor. I have blocked their listed "static" IPs to no effect.

Having the same issue (reported on mailing list). Would appreciate some help with this problem.

vectis said:

Having the same issue (reported on mailing list). Would appreciate some help with this problem.

Vectis,

I piled on to a similar request posted by Jon on the YNGuser2. We got a reply from Sam Clark who offered this:

"Hopefully you have cPanel?

1. IP blocks must be done with an .htaccess file (robots.txt is a suggestion list that only affects a few relatively minor issues)

2. If you have cPanel, entering an IP# or IP# range using your cPanel "IP Deny Manager", will write to your .htaccess file.

3. If you don't have cPanel, you have to enter IP# or IP# range using a plain text editor to edit your .htaccess file. (this is delicate work and must be done with great care, as an error can be introduced which can have drastic effects)

4. Be sure that you have the correct IP#

o The IP numbers you list Jon, appear to be transposed or reversed

o IP#'s may appear in the TNG logs in this transposed or reversed order, or otherwise not represent the true IP#

o If you have cPanel, be sure to check your "Latest Visitors" list to verify the true IP# order.

5. Jon, following are the IP#s that you want to block using an .htaccess file:

o 148.251.75.46

o 144.76.185.173

o 144.76.155.8

o 144.76.163.48"

Note the bold bullet: IP#'s may appear in the TNG logs in this transposed or reversed order, or otherwise not represent the true IP#. I will now go back and unblock the "wrong" IPs that have been blocked for months w/o effect! :)

Regis

• 2 years later...
Paul McKnight

Bingo. Thanks for this. For example I had blocked 172.27.99.88 which appears through the TNG access log. Yet when I go to my hosting site I see 88.99.27.172.