TNG Community
MadRanger

Research MOD v9

tngrlkrz

Regis,

We may be spinning our wheels here.  I think you're now running an old version of researchmod.  Check the end of this thread.

The wiki has the old version.  However, 'unpublished' modifications for TNG 11.1.2 in 2017 for the mysql vs. tngsql conversion.

Back then the author shared an in-process version on the list.  Several users had success with this.  Attached is a version I renamed with a few changes which I tested to work with TNG 11.1.2 and 12.x, and in which research links open a 'new tab'.   I will contact the author as well. None of the code lines for  research links to sites have been updated or customized, but the main function works.  NOTE: this is an unpublished version at this time. Some research links will not work and require modification to your needs. I think you had already done this with an earlier version and could copy those into this version.

Ron

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Research_Link_Mod

MadRanger

Ron,

Indeed we were spinning. Yes, I was using the last, WIKI, posted Research MOD v09.0. I loaded v12 and got what was asking for - a new Tab. Thank you for sharing.Others might now bump into it since this thread carries the MOD by name and the referenced link was less pointed. Onward.

Regis

MadRanger
21 hours ago, MadRanger said:

For reasons unknown, when loading the Research MOD on the website, all individual pages return: Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'carrfami'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/carrfami/public_html/genealogy/researchlink.php on line 84

Line 84 reads: $result = mysql_query($query) or die ("$text[cannotexecutequery]:$query");

As a consequence, I have the Research MOD install on the XAMPP only.

When I loaded the v12 version of the Research MOD to the v11 website (after successfully getting it to work on my v12 XAMPP), poof, what were "reasons unknown" are now known.  As usual, I leveraged the work of talented folks who make TNG possible for the likes of me. Thanks to Ron and others who helped make my day - and those 1100 +/- folks who enjoyed watching me get here. :)

tngrlkrz

Glad its working for you.  The Wiki article does need to get updated.  I shall contact Jerry Leehan, letting him know what changes were made (to the 12  version I renamed to avoid confusion). The mod has great potential but needs existing links fixed/updated, and more external sites could be added to it.  For now, simply commenting out those not used is the quickest implementation.

Ron

tngrlkrz
58 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

Ron,

If you uploaded the v12 to the wiki, then you should also update the wiki article accordingly.  Currently, the Research mod does not show in the

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Mods_for_TNG_v12

While have periodically done some editing, have not  ever uploaded files  to the wiki. Could you point me to instruction on doing that?.  Also needed to revise mod version per naming rules, and some other changes.  Was going to wait for Jerry, but shall proceed in the interim posting this version here.

Ron

researchmod_v11.1.2.0.zip

Ken Roy

Does v11.1.2.0 run on both TNG 11.1.2 and 12+?  If so then it is named correctly.  If you need help let me know.

tngrlkrz
7 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Does v11.1.2.0 run on both TNG 11.1.2 and 12+?  If so then it is named correctly.  If you need help let me know.

Yes, that's why I renamed it from v12.0.0.0  to v11.1.2.0 (including support folder).  I know how to edit sections of a wiki page, but not the title & file uploading,etc. Would like to learn, feel free to PM or email. 

Thanks,

Ron

edit: there are also conflicts of this mod with other mods, which I worked around for private use.  I also think Jerry might wish to be involved in the revision, perhaps?

The updated version is now on Wiki:

Research_Link_Mod

Edited by tngrlkrz
Version on the wiki