TNG Community

Research MOD v9

MadRanger

Good afternoon,

I was not expecting Research MOD v9 to function with TNG v10. I installed it anyway and by all appearances it is working although I may be missing some features that might not work - nevertheless it meets my expectations.

Am I in for a surprise somewhere else in how TNG functions?

Thanks,

Regis

Jay Wilpolt

Good afternoon,

I was not expecting Research MOD v9 to function with TNG v10. I installed it anyway and by all appearances it is working although I may be missing some features that might not work - nevertheless it meets my expectations.

Am I in for a surprise somewhere else in how TNG functions?

Thanks,

Regis

Regis,

I am also using the research mod. But have had to redo a lot of the 'paths' so they work properly. and I also eliminated about 2/3 of them.

Glad to share some of the newer link paths if you need.

Best regards

Jay

PS if you ever come accross a way to make the links as part of a drop down menu , keep me in mind. Thanks

I also eliminated about 2/3 of them.

Jay,

I mostly use Ancestry.com to view Census records - handily listed first. The others are ostensibly unused. I may give the drop down a go - but it might be while.

Regis

Jay Wilpolt

Jay,

I mostly use Ancestry.com to view Census records - handily listed first. The others are ostensibly unused. I may give the drop down a go - but it might be while.

Regis

Well here is a working link for ancestry tha I am using

$retval[0] = "http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&gsfn=" . urlencode($Given) . "&gsln=" . urlencode($Surname) . "&rg_81004011__date=" . urlencode($Birthyr) . "&rs_81004011__date=&gsbco=" . urlencode($Birthcountry) . "&gsbst=" . urlencode($Birthstate) . "&_82004023=" . urlencode($Birthcounty) . "&_82004024=" . urlencode($Birthtown) . "&_8000C002=" . urlencode($Fathergiven) . "&_8000C003=" . urlencode($Fatherlast) . "&_80008002=" . urlencode($Mothergiven) . "&_80008003=" . urlencode($Motherlast) . "&_80018002=" . urlencode($Spousegiven) . "&_80018003=" . urlencode($Spouselast) . "&cpxt=1\" target=\"_blank\"";

$rv[0]="Ancestry $";

• 1 year later...

Jay,

I got caught up with other activities...

Rather than get left behind without the mobile interface, I upgraded to TNG v10.1 even though I saw no compatible Research MOD listed. As before, I tried installing the old (and latest) Research MOD version (9.0.0.0). While it did install without an error message, it precludes proper loading of a person's page (getperson).

Ref your reply and the Ancestry.com research link: I had the Ancestry link working while I was using TNG10.0.3. I presume your code for Ancestry assumed I had a working Research MOD.  If that is not a good assumption, how did you use the code - where did you place it?

I am hoping someone has both the talent and inclination to upgrade the MOD for TNG10.1. The MOD is nearly essential for me me since I have all but ceased using FTM. To help my research in the short term I have imported a no-frills GEDCOM into FTM and run FTM and TNG side-by-side - and wishing it wasn't so.

Regis

jayat1familytree

I believe if you just replace the mysql_  with tng_  in the reasearchlink.php file, everything should work ok 

lines 84, 85, 224, 246, 248, 249, 253, 259, 265, 268, 271, 274.

but I havent tried it yet.

• 2 years later...

Message me Pingo (Ingo)?.  I have a modified version as noted on the Mod page which does install and work OK on 11.1.2.  However, it may be incompatible with some mods, I have added the Person ID below the Name Header as well since this version was modified to work with my other mods also.  But I tested it on an otherwise 'clean' 2017-09-25_8-29-32.jpg TNG 11.1.2 test site

2017-09-25_8-51-04.jpg

Ron

• 11 months later...

Has anybody modified the research MOD to function in TNGv12?

Edit: I noted at the bottom of the Wiki page that Ron Krzmarzick & Randal Suire have it running with TNGv12.  Would either of you share what edits if any were required to get it to work? Thanks. It is one of two MODs I find essential to any TNG upgrade for my use (CPI being the other and neither is yet working on my upgrade XAMPP.)

EDIT: See later in this thread that the Research MOD was in fact edited for TNG v11/12, but was not posted to the WIKI for cogent reasons.

Edited by MadRanger
Answer was provided on 27 NOV 2018 and added here

• 1 month later...

Having resolved much of my TNGv12 home page issues I am trying to get the Research MOD to function. With only the Research MOD installed , I cannot open an individual's page. This is the response:

SELECT tng_people.living, lnprefix, suffix, tng_people.branch,lastname, firstname,birthdate,birthplace,if(sex='M',families1.marrplace,families2.marrplace),if(sex='M',families1.marrdate,families2.marrdate),(if(sex='M',families1.wife,families2.husband)) as spouse,deathdate,deathplace,sex,e123.eventplace as eventplace123,e123.eventdate as eventdate123, tng_people.personID, tng_people.gedcom, nameorder FROM (tng_people ) LEFT JOIN tng_families AS families1 ON (tng_people.gedcom = families1.gedcom AND tng_people.personID = families1.husband ) LEFT JOIN tng_families AS families2 ON (tng_people.gedcom = families2.gedcom AND tng_people.personID = families2.wife ) LEFT JOIN tng_events e123 ON tng_people.personID = e123.persfamID AND tng_people.gedcom = e123.gedcom AND e123.eventtypeID = "123" WHERE (tng_people.personID = "I1123" ) AND tng_people.gedcom = "CFT" ORDER BY e123.eventdate

When I run that query thru phpMyAdmin, the person is listed.

Can anyone offer some insight why the MOD is not functioning?

Thanks,

Regis

Research MOD fail.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Ron, et al,

I was determined to solve the failure of the research MOD to work on my site. Thinking I had a conflicting MOD, I uninstalled every mod. And in the process,  I came upon Gerald Leehan's researchmodinstall text file. And that my good friends was the key to solving my problem. RTFP - or, simply read/reread the instructions. During my otherwise problematic upgrade to v12 I must have lost/removed Researchlink.php. With it copied into the proper directory, the MOD works just like folks kept indicating that it does with v12 .

Jay - I am obviously not be the one to develop "a way to make the links as part of a drop down menu." (See your comment back in June 2014.)

Regis

Has anyone modified the Research MOD to open in a new window - or does anyone have suggestion about how to modify the code to do so?

Thank you,

Regis

In researchlink.php,  modify your 'retval' statements to include "target = blank" similar to this:

"http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi?lastname=" . urlencode($Surname) . "&firstname=" . urlencode($Given) . "&nt=exact\" target=\"_blank\"";

Selecting the site from the scrollbox should then take you to a new page.

BTW....I just checked, and the 'target = blank' is already in the researchlink.php file retval lines, so not sure if I understand your question, because it should work 'out of the box' with v9.0.0.1 (and it is in v9.0.0.0 also).

Ron

Ron,

Thank you. I believe you understood correctly - I would like Ancestry (e.g.) to open in a new window so that my data and Ancestry's data is side-by-side.

The syntax for my Rootsweb line is different than yours - although since the operative portion is your highlighted text, that is present in each of my retval lines. And I don't get a new window.

Mine reads:

$retval[7] = "http://rsl.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/rslsql.cgi?op=search&type=Surname&surname=" . urlencode($Surname) . "\" target=\"_blank\"";

$rv[7]="Rootsweb Surnames";

Regis

The lines are actually identical; you were using Rootsweb Surnames, vs. Ancestry.  It also brings up Ancestry because they own Rootsweb now.  In fact, I inserted your line into my researchlink.php, and it loads a new window, so not sure why this isn't working for you.  Works in Firefox, Edge and Chrome.

If you google about this, 'target=blank' doesn't always work in some environments. What browser/OS/etc?

Ron

Ron,

Thank you for your follow-up. Now that I have a hint as to what to look for, I have run your recommended Google search and am progressing thru some options to resolve the problem. That said, it must be the only " target=\"_blank\"" that isn't working on my PC ... I can end up with way too many open Tabs on any given day/session.

I am using Firefox. While it was reportedly up to date, I have loaded a fresh version. And disabled some add-ons. ...no joy.

Chuck Filteau's "Learn by Doing" admonition in reply to a post about a 2nd tree and Jan Squire's reply both apply to my situation. My efforts are supposed to keep my synapses firing in sequence. :)

Regis

Just to clarify semantics here of tabs vs. windows.  You said:

2 hours ago, MadRanger said:

I can end up with way too many open Tabs on any given day/session.

So is it new windows or new tabs you want? The target = blank will not do a new window on my browsers; a new tab is created in the same window, and without it, the same tab is used.  

Ron

4 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

So is it new windows or new tabs you want? The target = blank will not do a new window on my browsers; a new tab is created in the same window, and without it, the same tab is used.  

This is an option in browsers I think - to choose if a "new window" is actually a new window or a new tab.

Roger

42 minutes ago, theKiwi said:
48 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

This is an option in browsers I think - to choose if a "new window" is actually a new window or a new tab.

Thanks, I did not know that!  I will have to see what settings in different browsers; might be useful.  I know you can right click to move tabs to new window; do that all the time, but didn't know it could be a default.

Ron

Update: for Chrome:apparently not so simple:

There doesn't appear to be a user-friendly option to change this inside Chrome (presumably because most people prefer the new tab).

However, you can change this manually by editing the command specified in your Windows registry used to open an http url.

To do this, open regedit and:

1. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell\open\command
  2. You should see one key, named (Default). Double click this to get an editing popup.
  3. At the end of the Value data: field you should see the text -- "%1". Change this to --new-window "%1".

That will instruct Windows to open all http links in a new window of Chrome instead of a new tab.

Update2: There's also an Chrome extension too which  I just tested:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/new-tab-new-window/dndlcbaomdoggooaficldplkcmkfpgff

note:opens window instead of tab anytime a new tab is clicked, or   links which have the target=blank parameter.

Ron, yes, I want a new tab beside the one from which I request research.

For reasons unknown, when loading the Research MOD on the website, all individual pages return: Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'carrfami'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/carrfami/public_html/genealogy/researchlink.php on line 84

Line 84 reads: $result = mysql_query($query) or die ("$text[cannotexecutequery]:$query");

As a consequence, I have the Research MOD install on the XAMPP only.

Following a suggestion ( before even seeing Roger's offer) I attempted to replace "_target" with "new_window" on just the Ancestry line in the MOD. That had no impact at all.

Other suggestions have pointed to jquery options - beyond my immediate skill set.

I also looked a pop-up blocker as source of the problem. I don't have one active.

Since I just visited the HKEY_CLASSES to fix a hyperlink issue that followed my Firefox update, I changed the defaults as suggested by Ron. There I replaced "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" %1  with "--new-window" %1 --- and got no new window/tab.

I was going to try the Chrome solution above but that required a download of Chrome. I am trying to work with minimal system changes in the short term.

Regis

Ref Chrome new window: There is an equivalent Firefox addon called "I Hate Tabs - SDI for Firefox" that forces a new window - not a new tab. That did not resolve my problem with Research not opening a new tab.

From my vantage, the target = blank does not seem to be the operable code since I could change it to read new_window w/o effect. I think there must be something else in the MOD that precludes a new tab from opening. [That being the opinion of a guy with no coding expertise - see Chuck's aforementioned lament and Jan's reply. I can do great damage to code and fail to remember where I made the change in order to undo the change. :)  Still, I am game, Chuck.]

Regis,

Just on a last hunch (I have a hard time letting things go, as Jan expressed on the list), find this line in researchlink.php, which begins with:

$resstuff="<form method=\"post\" action=kicker.php><b>Research Links</b>

The original version on Wiki didn't have the target=blank, but this line calls kicker.php which is where the actual first html call occurs.  My version is modifed (by me) to have that. If it is missing in your file (possibly), it needs that in the post URL.

$resstuff="<form method=\"post\" action='kicker.php' target='_blank'><b>Research Links</b>

And for a good test, you should also clear your browser cache before testing.

Ron

Regis,

12 hours ago, MadRanger said:

For reasons unknown, when loading the Research MOD on the website, all individual pages return: Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'carrfami'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /home/carrfami/public_html/genealogy/researchlink.php on line 84

Don't you remember this:

;)

EDIT: Forgot: Maybe you shall talk to the Mod developer?

HTH

Erik

Edited by XerxX