TNG Community

~Surname Origins - A fun page add-on~

GWood

I had a few family researchers ask what the origin of the names were. I got to thinking that would be a fun page to add to our family magazine area so put the following together...

http://famgen.casawood.com/surnameorigin.php

Since I have really goofed up my template I had to add the menu item to several different pages but the reaction has been good as members check out their surname.

Now if there were just a way to automate it :idea::)

That would be real sweet Steve!! Just automating the links to the search for each surname would have been nice. Alas, it was a manual effort, as with education, it was bitter but the rewards are sweet. :smile:

• 1 year later...
mcentyre501

That would be real sweet Steve!! Just automating the links to the search for each surname would have been nice. Alas, it was a manual effort, as with education, it was bitter but the rewards are sweet. :smile:

I really liked your website and all the things you've added. Good Job!

Carol

I really liked your website and all the things you've added. Good Job!

Carol

Thank you Carol...I haven't worked on it much as of late but have many things I still would like to do. I appreciate your feedback a great deal!

Gary

I really liked that surname origins page! Very clever and easy to read. A pat on the back goes to you!! Judy

• 1 month later...
LR Majercin

Gary, while enjoying a trip around your wonderful website, I came across one glitch.

In your magazine section, on the John Richmond page, the text is getting cut off when viewing it in Internet Explorer (ver 7). It looks fine, though in Firefox. Only on the right margin.

Regards,

Larry Majercin

Did you use a single source for all the surname information or did you do various searches on google, etc?

Tom,

Down at the bottom of the page, it states:

"Surname Origins: Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-508137-4". Now if such a ref were online (and free...), automating the creation of such a page should be pretty straightforward...

Gary,

Very cool addition to your site!

- Al

Gary, while enjoying a trip around your wonderful website, I came across one glitch.

In your magazine section, on the John Richmond page, the text is getting cut off when viewing it in Internet Explorer (ver 7). It looks fine, though in Firefox. Only on the right margin.

Regards,

Larry Majercin

Larry,

Thanks for the heads up on the cutoff under IE7. Since I don't use that I would not have noticed. Most of these stories I am slowly moving to the wiki but while they are there I want them to appear correctly. I'll have to investigate this weekend.

I appreciate the positive comments on the site. It's been neglected lately with school and work taking so much time but I hope to spruce it up soon.

Gary

Tom,

Down at the bottom of the page, it states:

"Surname Origins: Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-508137-4". Now if such a ref were online (and free...), automating the creation of such a page should be pretty straightforward...

Gary,

Very cool addition to your site!

- Al

Thanks Al, the folks really seem to like it and it is fairly simple to put together...Gary

• 2 months later...

I had a few family researchers ask what the origin of the names were. I got to thinking that would be a fun page to add to our family magazine area so put the following together...

http://famgen.casawood.com/surnameorigin.php

Since I have really goofed up my template I had to add the menu item to several different pages but the reaction has been good as members check out their surname.

That is a very nifty idea, Gary. Would it be possible to get a copy of the php page from you? (I suck at cutting source code form displayed PHP files.)

That is a very nifty idea, Gary. Would it be possible to get a copy of the php page from you? (I suck at cutting source code form displayed PHP files.)

I've attached a copy of the file. I used the historytemplate.php if I remember correctly.

Gary

surnameorigin.php

• 5 months later...

This topic intrigued me, so I did something about it. Take a look at the links below and click on the icon of the magnifying glass next to a surname.

http://www.flintfamilyhistory.com/e107_plu...IL/surnames.php

http://www.flintfamilyhistory.com/e107_plu....php?tree=Flint

http://www.flintfamilyhistory.com/e107_plu...&tree=Flint

What I would really like to see this do is grab the text from the return and display it in a popup on my site. If anyone has an idea how to do that, let me know please!

Nick

I figured out how to parse the html and added it to a popup so the effect is that the information appears in a popup without leaving your page.

If there is interest I'll put together a how to. There are changes to four tng file.

Nick

I figured out how to parse the html and added it to a popup so the effect is that the information appears in a popup without leaving your page.

If there is interest I'll put together a how to. There are changes to four tng file.

Nick

Nick,

This is a very nice addition. I for one would be interested in the code used to add the popups to the pages after the holiday.

This topic intrigued me, so I did something about it. Take a look at the links below and click on the icon of the magnifying glass next to a surname.

http://www.flintfamilyhistory.com/e107_plu...IL/surnames.php

http://www.flintfamilyhistory.com/e107_plu....php?tree=Flint

http://www.flintfamilyhistory.com/e107_plu...&tree=Flint

What I would really like to see this do is grab the text from the return and display it in a popup on my site. If anyone has an idea how to do that, let me know please!

Nick

Nick,

Two things -

1) the page doesn't display correctly for me in IE6 - all of the content is pushed down below the bottom of the research donations box

2) When I click on the magnifying glass, I hear a click, but nothing happens (no popup, even with the popup blocker in my browser turned off).

Don't have FF on this computer, so can't test that right now. Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Al

Nick,

Two things -

1) the page doesn't display correctly for me in IE6 - all of the content is pushed down below the bottom of the research donations box

2) When I click on the magnifying glass, I hear a click, but nothing happens (no popup, even with the popup blocker in my browser turned off).

Don't have FF on this computer, so can't test that right now. Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Al

Thanks Al. I don't know yet, but Ken reported the same for IE6. I've tested in the current major browsers and it worked well for me. As soon as I can I'm going to downgrade my laptop to IE6 and see if I can figure it out.

I'm working on cleaning up the code and making it as easy of an addon as possible. Then I'll post the link to it here.

Thanks,

Would the ie6 users check the links above now? I've modified and checked it on ie6 on my laptop and it seems to be working properly now. Though I noticed a problem with one of my menus in ie6 . . . See what the "browser wars" has done to us?

• 1 month later...

Hi Nick -

This looks fantastic on your site. I'm really impressed.

Are you able to share the mods?

Cheers,

Sean.

Thanks Sean,

I'm hoping to get an install package out soon. Things take me longer during the school semester so I'll let you know here once it's available.

• 2 months later...

I'm hoping to get an install package out soon. Things take me longer during the school semester so I'll let you know here once it's available.

I've seen this working on your site - wondered if you managed to find time to get the install package together as I'd like to add to my site too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
thewillistree

I've seen this working on your site - wondered if you managed to find time to get the install package together as I'd like to add to my site too.

I'd be v. interested as well!

Paul