TNG Community

encoding problem in Arabic language

lardi

Hi all, (sorry for my English)

I have this new site in Arabic language http://www.lardhi.com/tng/

I have installed TNG v9.2.2 on it.

MySql encoding is (utf8_general_ci).

I change language on admin setup to English-utf8

My problem is when I translate interface to Arabic language I get (?)Question Mark for all Arabic letters.

So, How can I add Arabic language by right way.

Thanks.

How are you creating the arabic language translation?

It looks to me like you've taken the English, and changed that to arabic - it says "arabic" for the menu when much of the page content is in English.

Then you've got another language set that shows "الإفريقية" and the rest of the page seems to perhaps be in Dutch?

What files are you translating to Arabic?

Is Arabic a left to right, or right to left language?

What are you using to edit the files? You will need to be editing them in something like NotePad++ on Windows, or TextWrangler on Macintosh that can retain the character encoding of the files as UTF-8

Roger

Oh sorry for my stupid question, I have resolved the issue by using notepad++, but my problems still with database entry like tree name http://lardhi.com/tng/browsetrees.php

Arabic language is RTL , and I have duplicate English-UTF8 and rename it to Arabic-UTF8.

Try the following in internet explorer right mouse button coding/more and then select a arabic code and see what will work for You

Oh sorry for my stupid question, I have resolved the issue by using notepad++, but my problems still with database entry like tree name http://lardhi.com/tng/browsetrees.php

Arabic language is RTL , and I have duplicate English-UTF8 and rename it to Arabic-UTF8.

I have just copied some Arabic from your site and created a new Tree on my site with that as the name and it worked OK

http://testing.lisaandroger.com/browsetrees.php

so it is possible to do this, but there must be something amiss in how you created it. Have you tried deleting that tree and creating it again?

I do see that you have an Arabic characters menu in the Info menu, so it worked OK there.

Are you sure that your MySQL database is created with utf8_general_ci - if you look at the database using phpMyAdmin does it show that the tables, and the columns in each table are created as utf8_general_ci ?

Roger

I have just copied some Arabic from your site and created a new Tree on my site with that as the name and it worked OK

http://testing.lisaandroger.com/browsetrees.php

so it is possible to do this, but there must be something amiss in how you created it. Have you tried deleting that tree and creating it again?

I do see that you have an Arabic characters menu in the Info menu, so it worked OK there.

Are you sure that your MySQL database is created with utf8_general_ci - if you look at the database using phpMyAdmin does it show that the tables, and the columns in each table are created as utf8_general_ci ?

Roger

Roger,

It looks to me like the English-UTF8 files are encoded as ANSI, so if he copied those and started replacing the text without changing the encoding in Notepad++ to UTF8 without BOM is it possible that it is contributing to the problem.

Roger,

It looks to me like the English-UTF8 files are encoded as ANSI, so if he copied those and started replacing the text without changing the encoding in Notepad++ to UTF8 without BOM is it possible that it is contributing to the problem.

That's possible I guess - I looked at my site and the English UTF-8 files are Windows for 2 of them and UTF-8 for 2 of them.

But the tree name gets stored in the database which is what makes me think something is wrong with the database collation.

But certainly it would be worth making sure that the language files you're working on are all encoded as UTF-8 without BOM.

Roger

Thanks to all for help,

It's okay after I delete tree and create a new one.

The old tree was created when I install TNG.

So Thanks too much for help, and I hope to share you my translated files in Arabic.

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all for help,

It's okay after I delete tree and create a new one.

The old tree was created when I install TNG.

So Thanks too much for help, and I hope to share you my translated files in Arabic.

Hi Lardi,

I appreciate if you can share with me the arabic translated files, you can post a download link here, or you can email me a copy to : thelegend411@gmail.com

thanks