TNG Community

How to linking Individuals in different trees

INXSprivate

Hello TNG Community

My System is up and running since yesterday and my first task is to enter individuals.

After having entered more than 160 individuals there arose some questions I couldnt find with searching in the forums, maybe I have the wrong search strings (because sometimes i dont find the correct words in english)

After 40 persons I decided to start a second tree where I now have 120 persons entered.

Now it happened that I wanted to link some existing persons of my tree1 as spouses in the tree2, but that didnt work.

How can I link persons in the two trees ? export / import ? or is there a smarter way, to avoid redundancies

I intend to divide the tree in more subtrees, although I know that there are the concepts of branches.

Now I have gone until 1600 and I want to have some trees of non relatives that were "Zeitgenossen" - persons that were living at the same time - and had contact to my relatives - some of them might have been famous

I have some other questions, but I think it is better, not to pack too many questions in one thread.

About quicker creating of individuals - quick creating masks where only the defined fields are to be filled and all the others are usually be left empty, wont be displayed - and some that always will be filled with an default value wont be displayed too (for ex. creating true childs will always be marked as

About different anchestor tree views (colors) etc that I cannot find in mods

About how to alter display when generations skipping occurs - a man marries another wife that is 40 years younger - then all his siblings of this connection are displayed at least one generation to early respective to their age

And some more - is it better to start a new thread or should it be discussed one after the other in one thread ?

Michael

You should think hard about why you want more than 1 tree - what problem are you trying to solve by having more than 1 tree?

You can't link people across trees as you're wanting to do. There is a Mod that lets you say

This person in this tree is the same as this other person in this other tree

but it requires that those people appear in both trees.

http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?tit...ame_Person_Link

Roger

Thank you for the hint to the mod, I will have a look at it.

Sure what lets me thinking of having different trees.

First of all, I didnt know that tree linking is not possible.

Second: We have different persons that will administrate their branch.

And different persons have different priorities especially which part of the brother in law family tree should be entered.

So I thought we could define a least common denominator of persons that are the roots or the twigs of different trees.

Then there are branches leading back very far in history. It would be smart, that searching and linking over different trees could be done.

On the other hand maybe it could be done with branches ? I will try my first branch.

Sorry but I make my first steps with TNG, but I do have some high expectations to what an genealogie software should satisfy.

As soon as I have learned enough, I will try my first mod. Some ideas did already arise.

Michael

I don't use Branches myself, so aren't greatly familiar with their use in TNG, but from your description of what you're trying to do, I think Branches will let you do this - all within one tree.

You can let different users edit different branches if you wish to.

Roger

I don't use Branches myself, so aren't greatly familiar with their use in TNG, but from your description of what you're trying to do, I think Branches will let you do this - all within one tree.

You can let different users edit different branches if you wish to.

Roger

While you can create Users who have Add, Edit, Delete capability to a single Branch. TNG does not allow for separate Branch Administrators like it does for Trees administrators. Even the Tree Administrator might not have full Admin access to your site.

I use Branches to control who can view Living / Private individuals within a Branch. I do not allow others to add to my tree.

Hi Ken

Maybe there is another way of linking trees or dividing into different trees whenever it might be necessary.

How can I import everything from tree1 into tree2 ?

Or better: Create a tree 3 and import tree1 and tree2 - is that simple to be done ?

By the way, I know a purpose where different trees might be useful.

Maybe there exists a tree of european royalty that can be downloaded from anywhere.

And maybe I have some anchestors that mytree could be linked to the royally tree.

It would be nice to visualze this connection without ever change anything in the royality tree.

I know at least 3 persons, that manage "their" part of "their" family tree that is overlapping with mine at various points. I want them to save gedcom databases in an private webspace where each of us can download the other "trees". It would be enough, importing the other trees in a regular basis to get updated whats going on in that different branches. Defining one superadmin that has more privileges than the others is no choice.

It could be a simple task for a routine, that analyzes trees, recognizes same persons, and show you differences about additionally entered information. Then every admin can decide, if his own tree should be filled with these additional infos of the redundant records.

Maybe the TNG could ask me, if a universal "linked-tree" should be built up and every change in "my tree" is automatically written to "my tree" and the "linked-tree"

Every search or display operation is performed on the "linked-tree"

Some sort of tree synchronisation - is there a mod out there ?

If not - do you think this will be difficult. I ask you that, because you are one of the most active mod authors out there. You too Kiwi :wink:

I'm sorry

The mod "same person" doesnt work with my TNG 9.22 de - I dont see the icon for linking persons

if I start the persons edit page.

Michael

Hi Ken

Maybe there is another way of linking trees or dividing into different trees whenever it might be necessary.

How can I import everything from tree1 into tree2 ?

Or better: Create a tree 3 and import tree1 and tree2 - is that simple to be done ?

By the way, I know a purpose where different trees might be useful.

Maybe there exists a tree of european royalty that can be downloaded from anywhere.

And maybe I have some anchestors that mytree could be linked to the royally tree.

It would be nice to visualze this connection without ever change anything in the royality tree.

I know at least 3 persons, that manage "their" part of "their" family tree that is overlapping with mine at various points. I want them to save gedcom databases in an private webspace where each of us can download the other "trees". It would be enough, importing the other trees in a regular basis to get updated whats going on in that different branches. Defining one superadmin that has more privileges than the others is no choice.

It could be a simple task for a routine, that analyzes trees, recognizes same persons, and show you differences about additionally entered information. Then every admin can decide, if his own tree should be filled with these additional infos of the redundant records.

Maybe the TNG could ask me, if a universal "linked-tree" should be built up and every change in "my tree" is automatically written to "my tree" and the "linked-tree"

Every search or display operation is performed on the "linked-tree"

Some sort of tree synchronisation - is there a mod out there ?

If not - do you think this will be difficult. I ask you that, because you are one of the most active mod authors out there. You too Kiwi :wink:

I'm sorry

The mod "same person" doesnt work with my TNG 9.22 de - I dont see the icon for linking persons

if I start the persons edit page.

Michael

Michael,

I am just a user like you. Darrin does not monitor this forum, so these type of discussions would be better on the tnguser2 list and phrased as a request for how to use TNG in a collaboration environment. TNG has come a long way in the 8 years I have been using it but is not a full collaborative environment.

My Same Person Link mod should allow you to link a person in your tree to a european royalty on your site or on a different site. I have the mod installed and working on TNG 9.2.2 so I am not sure I know what your problem is.

Did you install the mod, or did you only copy and upload the extracted zip file content to your TNG mods folder?

Hi Ken

Dont put your candle under a bin - I think you are one of the most experienced "normal" users here.

Of Course I installed the mod. I like living color mod and tried some others.

I downloaded the Same-person-link german 9.1.0.0 and the "same-person-link" 9.1.0.6

But I have forgotten to mention, that only the first one could be installed. The latter one had shown plenty of missing files or entry points.

But now I had enough time to look around what is going wrong and I have found the problem. I didnt copy the directory sameperson only the cfg file. All the other mods I have tested only consisted in one cfg file, so I didnt work exact enough. That is corrected now. The Button exists. I got the database select error - of course -

I didnt read the sentence after the red NOTE - mea culpa. And so I didnt create the table tng_sameperson.

After having clicked the button behind the table brings the error cannot open file same_person_link_v9.1.0.6

Having a look in the phpMaAdmin I see that the table is created and the structure is defined.

Arrived here I dont know the next step.

So I need your advise again - but I'm not in a hurry

Michael

Hi Ken

Dont put your candle under a bin - I think you are one of the most experienced "normal" users here.

Of Course I installed the mod. I like living color mod and tried some others.

I downloaded the Same-person-link german 9.1.0.0 and the "same-person-link" 9.1.0.6

But I have forgotten to mention, that only the first one could be installed. The latter one had shown plenty of missing files or entry points.

But now I had enough time to look around what is going wrong and I have found the problem. I didnt copy the directory sameperson only the cfg file. All the other mods I have tested only consisted in one cfg file, so I didnt work exact enough. That is corrected now. The Button exists. I got the database select error - of course -

I didnt read the sentence after the red NOTE - mea culpa. And so I didnt create the table tng_sameperson.

After having clicked the button behind the table brings the error cannot open file same_person_link_v9.1.0.6

Having a look in the phpMaAdmin I see that the table is created and the structure is defined.

Arrived here I dont know the next step.

So I need your advise again - but I'm not in a hurry

Michael

Michael,

Where are you getting the following error

Did you follow the instructions in the wiki for Post Installation?

Did you leave the same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg file in the mods folder?

Where are you getting the following error

By pressing the Button "Create" (in german "Anlegen") in the Admin>>Setup>>Configuration>>GeneralSettings>>TableNames Section

Similar as here > IPB Image

Did you follow the instructions in the wiki for Post Installation?

Yes but the descripted error "SamePersonLinkTable not created" doesnt occur.

And the tables are created but the button never changed and by clicking once more the error message "cannot open file 'same_person_link_v9.1.0.6,cfg' " still remains

Did you leave the same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg file in the mods folder?

Yes - I even copied it to the same_person folder to be sure. But that is not necessary.

The files are in charge up and running, because the mod installation had copied them to the TNG folder too.

I already deleted the table in phpMyAdmin and recreated it with Admin>>Setup>>Configuration>>GeneralSettings>>TableNames Section

Pressing the Button "Create" (who actually in german is called "Anlegen") results to the newly created table with 12 fields (what I viewed in the phpMyAdmin almost live) but the error message is still the same. "Kann Datei nicht öffnen 'same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg' "

Next trial: Deinstall both mods - delete the table

Reinstall only same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg wihout installing the german language translation.

Same situation. :cry:

Michael

By pressing the Button "Create" (in german "Anlegen") in the Admin>>Setup>>Configuration>>GeneralSettings>>TableNames Section

Similar as here > IPB Image

Yes but the descripted error "SamePersonLinkTable not created" doesnt occur.

And the tables are created but the button never changed and by clicking once more the error message "cannot open file 'same_person_link_v9.1.0.6,cfg' " still remains

Yes - I even copied it to the same_person folder to be sure. But that is not necessary.

The files are in charge up and running, because the mod installation had copied them to the TNG folder too.

I already deleted the table in phpMyAdmin and recreated it with Admin>>Setup>>Configuration>>GeneralSettings>>TableNames Section

Pressing the Button "Create" (who actually in german is called "Anlegen") results to the newly created table with 12 fields (what I viewed in the phpMyAdmin almost live) but the error message is still the same. "Kann Datei nicht öffnen 'same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg' "

Next trial: Deinstall both mods - delete the table

Reinstall only same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg wihout installing the german language translation.

Same situation. :cry:

Michael

Michael,

I don't know any German. I created the mod in English and added the French text. Others have provided the other languages.

Note that I created my tables in a prior version of the mod, so I will need to install the v9106 on a test subdomain that currently does not have the same person table and see if I can re-create your problem.

Michael,

I don't know any German. I created the mod in English and added the French text. Others have provided the other languages.

Note that I created my tables in a prior version of the mod, so I will need to install the v9106 on a test subdomain that currently does not have the same person table and see if I can re-create your problem.

Michael,

I am not able to recreate the scenario where I get an error message. The Create button changes to Rename after the table is created.

However, if you exist the Setup >> General Settings >> Table Names the Create button is back even though the table exist. I copied this technique of creating the table from another TNG User, but may change it to use the same technique that is used in the Census Plus International mod to create those tables.

Did you try to Edit a Person and see if you could create the Same Person Links?

Dear Ken

you are fast working

Did you try to Edit a Person and see if you could create the Same Person Links?

Yes i did - no reaction - no error - simply nothing

Its a pity, that such a little thing makes trouble.

I think the error comes from the line 88 in admin_maketable_sameperson.php

Which action is there done. Is it a initializing of the first record ?

I think too, that the fopen command in line 67 is executed correct.

So maybe a variable is nor defined correctly

$sameperson_filename or $sameperson_filepath or $sameperson_table or $oldtable or $ newtable

Can you tell me the syntax how to echo the variables ?

echo "<script>alert($sameperson_filename);</script>";

Will that be correct ?

But for now I have to quit working today

Good night

Michael

PS: Or the MySQL Version is the reason of this error

Dear Ken

you are fast working

Yes i did - no reaction - no error - simply nothing

Its a pity, that such a little thing makes trouble.

I think the error comes from the line 88 in admin_maketable_sameperson.php

Which action is there done. Is it a initializing of the first record ?

I think too, that the fopen command in line 67 is executed correct.

So maybe a variable is nor defined correctly

$sameperson_filename or $sameperson_filepath or $sameperson_table or $oldtable or $ newtable

Can you tell me the syntax how to echo the variables ?

echo "<script>alert($sameperson_filename);</script>";

Will that be correct ?

But for now I have to quit working today

Good night

Michael

PS: Or the MySQL Version is the reason of this error

Michael,

Contact me using the link and I will send you a different script to create the table.

What version of MySQL are you running? The code was tested on versions 5.0.51 and 5.5.31

The correct php syntax for the echo statement would be

echo "File name is $sameperson_filename<br />File Path name is $sameperson_filepath<br />Table name is $sameperson_table<br /><br />";

Good morning Ken

This case is for me like a crash lesson (in german it is called "Crash Kurs") if something is taught to you very quickly.

I get some insights not only in using TNG but also using Apache, HTML, PHP, SQL, MOD ...

Displaying the variables results in following:

I had three debuggung points:

line 30, line 66 , line87 echo "<script>alert(\"line 30\");</script>";

after the message of line 30 popped up all the echoes of the filename, filepath, tablename were displayed even from the line 66 and 87 in the following way:

filename is customconfig.php);

filepath is customconfig.php;

tablename is tng_sameperson

filename is same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg);

filepath is /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/dev.TNG/mods/same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg;

Kann Datei nicht öffnen same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg

What about the ");" at the end ? is that correct ?

Michael

Good morning Ken

This case is for me like a crash lesson (in german it is called "Crash Kurs") if something is taught to you very quickly.

I get some insights not only in using TNG but also using Apache, HTML, PHP, SQL, MOD ...

Displaying the variables results in following:

I had three debuggung points:

line 30, line 66 , line87 echo "<script>alert(\"line 30\");</script>";

after the message of line 30 popped up all the echoes of the filename, filepath, tablename were displayed even from the line 66 and 87 in the following way:

filename is customconfig.php);

filepath is customconfig.php;

filename is same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg);

filepath is /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/dev.TNG/mods/same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg;

Kann Datei nicht öffnen same_person_link_v9.1.0.6.cfg

What about the ");" at the end ? is that correct ?

Michael

Michael,

This was code that I copied from another TNG User's mod that I may not fully understand. So please contact me using the link in the previous post for a different script to create the required table. I will be updating the mod when I get a chance to remove that part of the mod and substituting a different method of creating and deleting the required table.