TNG Community

TNG - Wordpress Integration

mahesh

After months of trials, errors and bug fixes, I now have a wordpress integration to my requirements. It's a very personal integration designed for the needs of our community.

New site goes live today.

It uses twenty twelve theme. ( Thanks heather for suggesting it )

The Integration still uses the integration by Mark Barnes.

Registration and log-in uses Heather's user_meta plugin.

We have written a customized API to access TNG database directy, for wordpress forms.

At the heart of the website is a family page which displays user family data. There is a facility submit additions and updates.

Search-people plugin accesses the TNG database directly.

It is a closed site but you may view the site by using view, tngview

I would be most interested in your comments.

• 3 weeks later...

After months of trials, errors and bug fixes, I now have a wordpress integration to my requirements. It's a very personal integration designed for the needs of our community.

New site goes live today.

It uses twenty twelve theme. ( Thanks heather for suggesting it )

The Integration still uses the integration by Mark Barnes.

Registration and log-in uses Heather's user_meta plugin.

We have written a customized API to access TNG database directy, for wordpress forms.

At the heart of the website is a family page which displays user family data. There is a facility submit additions and updates.

Search-people plugin accesses the TNG database directly.

It is a closed site but you may view the site by using view, tngview

I really like the simplistic layout.

Good job.

• 1 month later...

I really like the way you have this setup, and would very much like to create something similar, with a main page and a blog maybe visible to the public, but with all TNG data and the genealogy pages closed to registered users only. I wonder if you might be willing to share some instructions regarding how you've accomplished your setup?

Jim Williamson

Mahesh, you're a genius.

This is kind of what I envisioned several years ago, but, not being able to code myself, I was using a hodgepodge of various WP addons, along with TNG and MediaWiki...

Needless to day, my little Frankenstein did not work as intended.

I see a lot of progress has been made on several fronts while I took my little hiatus, I am hoping to be able to pull something together to suit my needs, but if you're willing, by chance, to share your work I'd love to give it a shot.

HeatherFeuer

Oh. Oh. MY! I LOVE the way you have the forms for adding people!!!!! I gather that is where you used the API. I am so impressed with what you have done I am beside myself!!

What I've been wanting to do is very similar except I was wanting the forms to open in a modal window. Now that I've seen what you have done, though, I would love to be able to set up the tabs like you have done.

Jim is right -- absolute genius!

I am overwhelmed. I am actually more than overwhelmed. I did not think my design was that interesting as I did not have responses to this thread - and then 3 positives :-).

I have been thinking about a special UI since Jan last year. I have been looking at user behavior and decided that I needed a different front end.

Heather, your plugin got me interested in WP integration and I have really appreciated your help throughout the year to get me to this stage. At last I have something that works.

The tabs are created using shortcode ultimate. Idea was not to overwhelm the user with too much data, at a go.

Jim, I am not a Genius. But my twin sons, sure, are.

Neel has led me step by step thro' the process. Mayur has helped in designing the home page.

When I started on this, I did not know how to code in php / html. Mr. Google has helped me in the torturous path of creating each statement.

My main addition is the Family page.

There is a simple API which connects to tng database using tng.php

There is Functions file, where I keep adding ad-hoc functions as needed.

On the Family page, every tab is a php file.

There's a 'pages file, which connects individual php files to the functions file.

I would love to share.

Unfortunately, I am going away on Monday, to India, for couple of months. So my responses here will be a bit patchy.

Jim Williamson

I am overwhelmed. I am actually more than overwhelmed. I did not think my design was that interesting as I did not have responses to this thread - and then 3 positives :-).

I have been thinking about a special UI since Jan last year. I have been looking at user behavior and decided that I needed a different front end.

Heather, your plugin got me interested in WP integration and I have really appreciated your help throughout the year to get me to this stage. At last I have something that works.

The tabs are created using shortcode ultimate. Idea was not to overwhelm the user with too much data, at a go.

Jim, I am not a Genius. But my twin sons, sure, are.

Neel has led me step by step thro' the process. Mayur has helped in designing the home page.

When I started on this, I did not know how to code in php / html. Mr. Google has helped me in the torturous path of creating each statement.

My main addition is the Family page.

There is a simple API which connects to tng database using tng.php

There is Functions file, where I keep adding ad-hoc functions as needed.

On the Family page, every tab is a php file.

There's a 'pages file, which connects individual php files to the functions file.

I would love to share.

Unfortunately, I am going away on Monday, to India, for couple of months. So my responses here will be a bit patchy.

I may be in a bit over my head in figuring it out, but I'll give it a shot.

I left a message on your site as well.

I saw one of the posts about the API, something I had discussed with Darrin a long while back, but didn't know it had finally been started on.

Seeing what you accomplished makes me wish I had stuck with it when I tried before. I kept trying to use existing plug ins, the social site type ones, to accomplish some of it, but never found what I was looking for, now I have incentive ;-)

~Jim

I really like the way you have this setup, and would very much like to create something similar, with a main page and a blog maybe visible to the public, but with all TNG data and the genealogy pages closed to registered users only. I wonder if you might be willing to share some instructions regarding how you've accomplished your setup?

Menu and page access control is achieved using 2 wordpress plug-ins.

Menu Item Visibility Control and

Peter's Login Redirect.

This also allows me to allow different menu options for different users. e.g. I have TNG admin access for administrators as a menu item.

My other settings are

TNG - requires login

Wordpress - Disable 'any one can register'

I Do not use wordpress ?register but use Heather's tng_user_meta Registration for registration.

tng-integration - requires login and also put tng_user_meta Registration shortcode in the specified genealogy page.

Do let me know if you require any other information.

• 3 weeks later...
Marcus Zurhorst

Manesh,

I read the article and now I am curious about what you've done.

Is there any way to see the site without login? Do you have guest credentials?

Kind regards,

Marcus

Thank you for heads up.

At the moment, the plugin is heavily customized to my requirements.

e.g. It only deals with one tree as I only have one tree.

It uses a customized event (Gotra) as one of the default parameters for person page.

I am away at the moment. I will try and produce generalised plugin, on my return, in March.

(Edited: typos )

Manesh,

I read the article and now I am curious about what you've done.

Is there any way to see the site without login? Do you have guest credentials?

Kind regards,

Marcus

I have sent you PM.

• 6 months later...

Thank you for heads up.

At the moment, the plugin is heavily customized to my requirements.

I am not sure whether I should be starting a new thread for this. I am pleased to let you know that TngApi version 1.3 plugin is now available for testing.

You may download the plugin Here

This plugin has two main features:

To provide a simple access to the TNG database from within Wordpress.

To provide a convenient collection of shortcode and functions for integrating TNG data into your site.

This plugin does not:

- Provide any registration process ( I am using Heather's user registration for this )

- Display TNG pages within Wordpress ( I am using Roger's TNG - Wordpress Integration for this )

You'll still need other plugins for that.

This plugin assumes that:

- Your TNG installation is in the directory below the base of your site (i.e. something like http://mytngsite.com/tng).

- User has logged in to TNG and wordpress

- User names are same in Wordpress and TNG

I look forward to your comments

• 4 years later...

It is more than  3 years since this plugin has been updated. A lot has happened since then, to Wordpress, TNG and PHP. Above all, I seem to understand PHP code and Wordpress little bit better.

I have been practising my PHP skills in writing a WP-TNG login widget. It's been a slow process because I seem to forget what I did the day before ( I am 76 years young)

Mangade to complete this widget and beta version is available.

I do not if there are still any users but if you are out there, thank you,  and if you have an issue please PM me.

I have just started going thro' the code, layout and functionality. I hope to get this updated to my current TNG version -  10.1.3 !!!!