TNG Community

Editing HTML in getperson.php

Kenneth K. Knudsen

Kenneth K. Knudsen

Hi forum

I have a little problem which have come up a couple of times here before but not yet been answered. I hope I will have better luck. My question in short is: How can I alter the HTML in documents such as getperson.php, showsource.php, and placesearch.php?

For example, where does the information come from that the headlines in those documents have the format <H1>?

The reason I ask is that I wish to modify my TNG theme by adding an extra "content container" within the existing. (In the illustration below you can see how the page to the right have an extra content container with a pale background). I have added a <div> to some php-files (e.g. surnames.php and places.php) which I have styled with CSS. This works fine. But in documents such as getperson.php, showsource.php, and placesearch.php I can't figure out where to put the <div>.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Kenneth, Denmark

http://geneablog.kilokilokilo.dk/slaegtstrae/

Kenneth K. Knudsen

Well, in the meantime I have found out, that the editing must be made in genlib.php. Now I just (need a little help) to figure out how to apply HTML tags to the file.

Well, in the meantime I have found out, that the editing must be made in genlib.php. Now I just (need a little help) to figure out how to apply HTML tags to the file.

The information come from that the headlines in those documents have the format <H1>

The values of what are in the header are in $text variables in your languages/English/text.php

the formatting is controlled by the template css files.

If you go editing in genlib.php make sure you keep good notes and backups, since you can easily make a mistakes and then your site does not work. Any change you make to TNG should be documented some place that you will remember since genlib.php and getperson.php get changed nearly every upgrade.

As Ken says, be very, very careful when you work with .php files. No room at all for a small error, as with .html files. With .html files, an error can cause the whole page to become bold. With .php, you take down your website.

After each change, go back to the website to see if it is still there. If not, upload the saved copy of the file you just changed.

This is an area of coding where angels should fear to tread.

Kenneth K. Knudsen

Hi Ken and Arnold,

Thank you for pointing out the obvious, I am not unfamiliar with editing php's, though.

Most php-files in TNG are straight forward to edit. However, genlib.php and others differs a little, and I can't figure out how to embed additional HTML tags.