TNG Community
greenery

mediawiki surprise

greenery

The surprise is this: I actually got the mediawiki mod installed and working on the first try. At least, the wiki is there, and the icons are showing up on the tng pages for individuals. I believe I have taken care of all the little fiddly things (making sure php files are executable, changing name order, etc) but of course I could well have missed something.

I've read through the various tng wiki pages on implementation, but I've run into a wall.

When I click on the icon next to a name, it takes me to the front page of the wiki. I am guessing I am supposed to then create the page for the individual, but I am completely confused by (1) Strategies for Integration (isn't that was the mod took care of?) and (2) Mediawiki extensions. From the tng wiki:

MediaWiki extensions

Although links to the TNG generated pages can be created using standard wiki html links within your wiki pages, a small extension to the MediaWiki language makes this a little easier.

From the rest of that page it seems that the current version of the mediawiki mod has the extension built into it -- but I'm not sure about this. And if it is the case, I'm unclear on how to use it.

So my questions:

Do I need to install an extension? And if so, where is it?

What is the relationship between the extension and the 'strategies for integration'?

Am I correct in assuming that when I click on an icon next to a name and I end up on the wiki front page, I am meant to create a page for that person? And if so, how does the extension relate to that process?

I did do some experimentation based on the examples on the wiki introduction page, but without success.

If somebody could please point me in the right direction, I would be very thankful.

rosina

greenery

Here I am again to demonstrate the problem more clearly:

See this page for Winifred King (use the login and password 'visitor' if you are prompted)

See the wiki page for Winifred here.

Go back to the first link, the tng page for Winifred, and if you click on the icon next to her name (assuming you see one at all; if not, see the image I've attached) you will be taken to the front page of the wiki instead of directly to Winifred's wiki page.

Clearly I've failed to understand how to get the tng page linked to the wiki page. Any help much appreciated.

Ken Roy

The surprise is this: I actually got the mediawiki mod installed and working on the first try. At least, the wiki is there, and the icons are showing up on the tng pages for individuals. I believe I have taken care of all the little fiddly things (making sure php files are executable, changing name order, etc) but of course I could well have missed something.

I've read through the various tng wiki pages on implementation, but I've run into a wall.

When I click on the icon next to a name, it takes me to the front page of the wiki. I am guessing I am supposed to then create the page for the individual, but I am completely confused by (1) Strategies for Integration (isn't that was the mod took care of?) and (2) Mediawiki extensions. From the tng wiki:

From the rest of that page it seems that the current version of the mediawiki mod has the extension built into it -- but I'm not sure about this. And if it is the case, I'm unclear on how to use it.

So my questions:

Do I need to install an extension? And if so, where is it?

What is the relationship between the extension and the 'strategies for integration'?

Am I correct in assuming that when I click on an icon next to a name and I end up on the wiki front page, I am meant to create a page for that person? And if so, how does the extension relate to that process?

I did do some experimentation based on the examples on the wiki introduction page, but without success.

If somebody could please point me in the right direction, I would be very thankful.

rosina

Rosina,

Make sure you do the Post Installation instructions in the Wiki Integration mod

greenery

Rosina,

Make sure you do the Post Installation instructions in the Wiki Integration mod

Ken - I believe I did follow all of those points.

x used the mod EDIT button on the Mod Manager page to enter additional details

x Wiki URL address

x Wiki URL style

x Wiki Database table prefix

x 2. copied the persons.php file from the TNG extensions folder to the wiki/extensions folder, and

edited the new persons.php file to provide

x the URL for my TNG site

x my treeID

x $tng_url = "http://localhost/tng";

x $treeID = "myTreeID";

I will check again, but if I did something wrong I'm not seeing it.

Ken Roy

Ken - I believe I did follow all of those points.

x used the mod EDIT button on the Mod Manager page to enter additional details

x Wiki URL address

x Wiki URL style

x Wiki Database table prefix

x 2. copied the persons.php file from the TNG extensions folder to the wiki/extensions folder, and

edited the new persons.php file to provide

x the URL for my TNG site

x my treeID

x $tng_url = "http://localhost/tng";

x $treeID = "myTreeID";

I will check again, but if I did something wrong I'm not seeing it.

Looks like you did not update the URL style from / to ?title=

Changing that appears to not have had any effect. Is MediaWiki installed in the same database as TNG? Is the table prefix wiki_ as shown in the Mod Manager Edit screen?

I don't have Credentials for the wiki so I can't tell. Note that I had to use the credentials you provided via PM for the earlier Census Mod problem.

What is the folder name for your wiki? You show wiki above but stellawiki in the Mod Manager edit screen.

greenery

Looks like you did not update the URL style from / to ?title=

Changing that appears to not have had any effect. Is MediaWiki installed in the same database as TNG? Is the table prefix wiki_ as shown in the Mod Manager Edit screen?

I don't have Credentials for the wiki so I can't tell. Note that I had to use the credentials you provided via PM for the earlier Census Mod problem.

What is the folder name for your wiki? You show wiki above but stellawiki in the Mod Manager edit screen.

Hi Ken

Yes, the wiki (with the folder name stellawiki) was installed in the same database as tng, with the table prefix wiki_

I'm pm'ing the wiki log in info should you have the time and energy to take a look. And thanks, as ever.