TNG Community

How cool is this??

mkmcgold

According to my local newspaper this outfit is one of 4 in the nation offering this service.

From their website "By attaching Katzman’s Memory Links barcode, also known as a QR code, to your loved one’s monument, marker, mausoleum, cremation niche, urn, memorial bench, plaque or any other type of memorial, visitors can simply scan the barcode and view information about your loved one that you upload on your personal Interactive Memorial site including a biography, family tree, photographs or videos."

http://www.katzmanmonument.com/interactive-memorial

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The QR Code system has become popular outside the automotive industry due to its fast readability and greater storage capacity compared to standard UPC barcodes. There are several standards that cover the encoding of data as QR codes:

October 1997 – AIM (Association for Automatic Identification and Mobility) International

January 1999 – JIS X 0510

June 2000 – ISO/IEC 18004:2000 Information technology – Automatic identification and data capture techniques – Bar code symbology – QR code (now withdrawn)

Defines QR code models 1 and 2 symbols.

1 September 2006 – ISO/IEC 18004:2006 Information technology – Automatic identification and data capture techniques – QR code 2005 bar code symbology specification

Defines QR code 2005 symbols, an extension of QR code model 2. Does not specify how to read QR code model 1 symbols, or require this for compliance.

• 1 month later...

I‘ve read news like this too ealier on and it is quite cool, you know, kinda keeping pace with times thing, qr code to monuments and all. But perhaps traditional way of engraving might be more approved than a fashion and advanced style with barcode at this time.

• 10 months later...

I‘ve read news like this too ealier on and it is quite cool, you know, kinda keeping pace with times thing, qr code to monuments and all. But perhaps traditional way of engraving might be more approved than a fashion and advanced style with barcode at this time.

It's always going to be a delicate situation where you try to new technology juxtaposed with age old monuments. Unless physically attached, it's always possible for someone to move the flags around for malicious purposes.

In my mind I can picture a well kept cemetery with lines of gravestones and neatly cut grass, and next to each stone a small and tasteful flag with a QC code on. Then the reality of disused, overgrown and vandalized cemeteries come to mind and wonder who it would be possible to implement such a system.

• 2 years later...

QR Codes are pretty rare in Europe and the States but very well known in Asia especially China for years now.  Without QR Codes China would probably struggle.  I can't imagine China without QR Codes