TNG Community
John Lisle

Adding TNG People Search Widgets to Sidebars

John Lisle

tng5.phpThe Plug-In comes with two TNG widgets that appear to be able to be added to the WordPress page sidebars. However, Roger identified that they only show up on a sidebar associated with a Genealogy page.

I feel that a more useful implementation would be to enable these widets for any sidebar. Roger showed me the change to make, and I have implemented the change to activate both the People Search and the TNG Menu for the sidebars. I have tested the change, and it works for me.

http://www.johnlisle.us

I am likely going to do a bit of fine tuning of the menu as that is built into the PlugIn. Suggestions appreciated.

I am attaching a copy of the updated Plug-In. (This is based on a corrected PlugIn sent to me from Roger that may not yet be on the download page.)

The direction for installing this PlugIn on your existing WordPress site are:

1/ Upload (with FTP) the attached file to the TNG WordPress plug in folder

/wp-content/plugins/tng-wordpress-plugin

2/ Change the name of the tng.php (or delete it depending on how brave you are...) and change the name of the uploaded file to tng.php.

3/ Login to your WordPress Admin account and go to the TNG settings tool. Click on the Button "Update TNG Variables".

4/ Click on Appearance and select Widgets.

5/ Move the TNG Search and/or TNG Menu to where you want them to show up on your sidebar.

john.

John Lisle

tng6.php

This is an updated Plugin.

I have re-organized the menu, fixed several bugs, and setup the links to open in a new window/tab. It will now recognize admin mode and take you to admin mode if TNG logged in as an admin.

I have noted on the email list that some problem exists with integrated logins. That is causing the Logout menu item to appear even if you are already logged out of TNG. I am working on the integrated login issue.

I suggest that as a start, you should make sure that TNG has a admin user with same ID, password, and email address as your WordPress admin ID if you want to use integrated logins.

john.

Mike Goodstadt

Thanks John for this.

:-D

tng6.php

This is an updated Plugin.

I have re-organized the menu, fixed several bugs, and setup the links to open in a new window/tab. It will now recognize admin mode and take you to admin mode if TNG logged in as an admin.

I have noted on the email list that some problem exists with integrated logins. That is causing the Logout menu item to appear even if you are already logged out of TNG. I am working on the integrated login issue.

I suggest that as a start, you should make sure that TNG has a admin user with same ID, password, and email address as your WordPress admin ID if you want to use integrated logins.

john.

Mike Goodstadt

Hi John

I am using your file as a base for further development, like adding Steven's tag cloud mod as a widget:

http://www.tngforum.us/index.php?showtopic=7900

As I mention there, it would be great to make this a GitHub project (or similar) to allow for and stimulate continued development.

I think we would have to ask Mark Barnes first as he is the original developer:

http://www.4-14.org.uk/wordpress-plugins/t...ordpress-plugin

For example, one thing I would like to see/do is make the TNG Menu items selectable...

saludos, Mike

One note - you have the search open in a new window (target="_blank") @line 990:

echo "<form action=\"{$base_url}search.php\" method=\"post\" target=\"_blank\">\n";
I personal prefer a single workspace and so remove this attribute...
        echo "<form action=\"{$base_url}search.php\" method=\"post\">\n";

Thanks John for this.

:-D