TNG Community
silurius

TNG 9 - Drupal 7 integration

silurius

Is there a wiki or other resource to help newbies bring a new TNG 9 instance up under a new installation of Drupal 7? Are there any examples of this available for me to check out?

I have an older (TN7) site that's offline and I'd like to either upgrade it to TNG 9 or, ideally, simply import what I need from it into a new/clean TNG9 instance, and then run it under Drupal using a Zen subtheme.

The Drupal TNG module looks interesting, but it's not clear to me where to begin because that module seems to only deal with user integration and not necessarily other things such as theming.

tomk

Is there a wiki or other resource to help newbies bring a new TNG 9 instance up under a new installation of Drupal 7? Are there any examples of this available for me to check out?

I have an older (TN7) site that's offline and I'd like to either upgrade it to TNG 9 or, ideally, simply import what I need from it into a new/clean TNG9 instance, and then run it under Drupal using a Zen subtheme.

The Drupal TNG module looks interesting, but it's not clear to me where to begin because that module seems to only deal with user integration and not necessarily other things such as theming.

I have not used Drupal, but I suspect you will have the same problems there as happens with my using Joomla. For me, the main purpose to link a CMS to TNG is to provide the User Integration. But getting the theme of your TNG installation to reflect your Drupal theme is not easily done unless you embed TNG in an iframe and use generic TNG theme.

I have had some success in embedding Joomla Template code into TNG files such as:

1) Joomla <head> code into TNG meta.php,

2) Adding menus in TNG index.php beween <header> and <body>, and footers

3) etc.

These changes, with effort, did provide a somewhat common theme between my main site and my TNG site. Although they were both separate and not integrated. So this does not give you the user integration to pass permissions, etc. You probably could do something similar with Drupal.

However, my changes also caused problems with my host provider memory and cpu limits. This was probably due to different scripting software, and CSS issues. So I abandoned the idea. My only other choice would be to go back to TNG7 and an obsolete Joomla version.

So for now, my Joomla and TNG are separate with different look and feel. Some of my frequent users who are only interested in the Database changes find this separation works fine for them until the different logins get confused.

Note, some TNG users have had good success in working Wordpress with TNG, but only using the Wordpress theme, and not any of the TNG custom templates. Again there is no real user integration using Wordpress.

Tom

MikeB

The easiest solution would be for you to take the theme concept of your Drupal theme and adapt that to the theme used in TNG. Essentially this means that you would determine what colors and fonts, etc are used in your chosen Drupal theme and use those in TNG (in "mytngstyle.css"). The same way you would do if you were designing your own theme for TNG if it was standalone.

That way when you add TNG as a Drupal "wrapper" it will look like it is part of Drupal.