TNG Community

Visitors Mining Data

Hinson

John Kleinmann

This is exactly why I have the two sites, one public and one restricted. This allows me to be open with the information which you would find in a basic tree while ensuring that the thousands of documents, photos and histories are only available (for research) once I have agreed the "rules".

Crossed fingers, this has resulted in no re-publication of any of these without agreement while it has given many of my "new" relatives a lot of fun, amusement and happiness.

I believe that one "open" site with information you are prepared to share with all and a second separate site with much more restricted viewing, provides openess and yet control which for me answers all of my concerns.

Yes, those are my thoughts exactly! I have the same set up as you.

The bit which concerns me more is whether "living" is a sufficient restriction on the open site or whether I need to remove them completely ? I am still trying to develop my view on this.

I have been thinking about this lately as well, and may be changing my public site accordingly. What have your pros and cons ideas been so far?

Also, do you have a link to your site so that I can see how you have done it compared to me?

Hi

My public tree is at http://publictree.keebleklan.co.uk/

Private one at http://familytree.keebleklan.co.uk/

The public tree is fully index by google etc.

A reasonable illustration of how I run the public tree would be seen by searching for Isaac Tyler Keeble. You will see how the sources etc are listed. The private one for this individual has over 60 original documents and numerous notes from various sources, with the starting section alone having 37 dated references such as census info.

Sorry for any slowness at times since runs off home pc.

The bit which concerns me more is whether "living" is a sufficient restriction on the open site or whether I need to remove them completely ? I am still trying to develop my view on this.

One twist on the "living" restriction for me is that most of the people in my tree were German, so I need to be respectful to that country's privacy laws (ie - births within the past 110 years, marriages within the past 70 years, deaths within the past 30). I wouldn't be comfortable including such people in any public tree, even if I restricted them as private. Even in my password protected tree, I still restrict them as private.

John Kleinmann

A reasonable illustration of how I run the public tree would be seen by searching for Isaac Tyler Keeble. You will see how the sources etc are listed. The private one for this individual has over 60 original documents and numerous notes from various sources, with the starting section alone having 37 dated references such as census info.

Since you have a subdomain set up (like me), you must have 2 separate TNG databases, correct? If so, have you figured out an efficient way to make sure they are both in sync? I have found it cumbersome, so my public database definitely does not have all the latest information that my private one has.

All I have to do is go to admin and export from my private site then go to the public one and admin and import and use the option to overwrite all.

Despite that I usually only update roughly once a month or if I find a real error. This delay is fine for me.

John Kleinmann

All I have to do is go to admin and export from my private site then go to the public one and admin and import and use the option to overwrite all.

Despite that I usually only update roughly once a month or if I find a real error. This delay is fine for me.

But then there is also clean up work to remove all the documents, notes, etc. right?

The two sites are installed in separate directories on the same server and are displayed as two sub domains.

There, when I export the private site and import it to the public one, the public one appears exactly as shown with no notes, documents, maps etc.

If anyone is interested, you can see what I ended up with here: www.hinsonroots.org/tng

That set uo looks good - but you have a problem with the header on the registration page.

William

That set up looks good - but you have a problem with the header on the registration page.

William

• 1 month later...

I like the discussion of to keep it accessible or not. The reason I created the website is that I was extremely frustrated with one relative having a hoard of info that no one else knew what was there, and another having a completely different, though overlapping hoard. In the end, no one had much of anything because no one knew what the others had.

I used the site as an opportunity to start the family genealogy from scratch. I have been going through documenting, trimming and editing and creating something that they can all work with and hopefully contribute to. I have been getting pieces of their collections and adding them. Photos, documents, stories, anything I can get my hands on.

Unfortunately it hasn't really worked out that others have been joining in, but I hold out hope. For all but a couple of documents, it has been my project.

I'm not complaining too much though. That has allowed me to be fastidious in documenting things, and I have found many significant errors in the family files. Many that truncated whole lines off of our tree.

As for the public or private debate, I have kept mine reasonably accessible for a few reasons. First, I have had several people reach out to me because they found info on the site that connected to them. So for selfish reasons that has been beneficial. I have literally had an entire CD of photos sent to me so they could be preserved on the site. I never would have been contacted if the site was closed.

The real reason is that I am hoping that others will join in the fun. As they move their paper over to this database, all benefit. It becomes truly a family project.

I have one other reason I keep it fairly open. I am a big believer in Open Source software. I am not a programmer, but I do have content I have created. That being the case, I am making it available as my "contribution" to that movement.

I don't allow the downloading of GEDCOMs unless you have an account, and I do restrict living individuals, but otherwise, I HOPE people connect and find info that is relevant to them. If it is relevant to them, then stuff they have may be relevant to me. A closed system will never make those connections.

I also DO have an issue with BOTS scraping my site. I'm doing what I can to keep that at a minimum, but you can only do so much of that and still stay open.

Just my two bits.

You can see my site at genealogy.watsonclan.com

David Estoppey

I like the discussion of to keep it accessible or not. The reason I created the website is that I was extremely frustrated with one relative having a hoard of info that no one else knew what was there, and another having a completely different, though overlapping hoard. In the end, no one had much of anything because no one knew what the others had.

I used the site as an opportunity to start the family genealogy from scratch. I have been going through documenting, trimming and editing and creating something that they can all work with and hopefully contribute to. I have been getting pieces of their collections and adding them. Photos, documents, stories, anything I can get my hands on.

Unfortunately it hasn't really worked out that others have been joining in, but I hold out hope. For all but a couple of documents, it has been my project.

I'm not complaining too much though. That has allowed me to be fastidious in documenting things, and I have found many significant errors in the family files. Many that truncated whole lines off of our tree.

As for the public or private debate, I have kept mine reasonably accessible for a few reasons. First, I have had several people reach out to me because they found info on the site that connected to them. So for selfish reasons that has been beneficial. I have literally had an entire CD of photos sent to me so they could be preserved on the site. I never would have been contacted if the site was closed.

The real reason is that I am hoping that others will join in the fun. As they move their paper over to this database, all benefit. It becomes truly a family project.

I have one other reason I keep it fairly open. I am a big believer in Open Source software. I am not a programmer, but I do have content I have created. That being the case, I am making it available as my "contribution" to that movement.

I don't allow the downloading of GEDCOMs unless you have an account, and I do restrict living individuals, but otherwise, I HOPE people connect and find info that is relevant to them. If it is relevant to them, then stuff they have may be relevant to me. A closed system will never make those connections.

I also DO have an issue with BOTS scraping my site. I'm doing what I can to keep that at a minimum, but you can only do so much of that and still stay open.

Just my two bits.

You can see my site at genealogy.watsonclan.com

I agree with some of the other posters in that I prefer to share my data freely in the hopes doing so will preserve it for future generations of my family. (I won't be paying the ISP bill for my web site forever and printed books have limited availability.) My guiding principle has been to make sure I give credit where credit is due - doing so encourages people to submit information to me. I don't worry too much about people "stealing" my data. Usually when they do, they don't bother to take all the sourcing I have added, and eventually new folks find me because there is more on my site than on derivative sites.

I have added the following text to my pages in the hopes that visitors will want to "do the right thing" by me:

http://www.bishir.org/share.html

I put my trees on Ancestry.com Public Trees too. Generally, I have far more sources in any individual record than anyone else does, so I figure anyone looking for the authoritative source of the information on someone will go by that. And, I include "stories" on many of my records that end in a citation back to my site. I've found that when someone takes the story and puts it on their tree, they don't bother to edit out that final line. So I get an advertisement every time someone "steals" my data!

Don